Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Penny Dreadful

Anyone catch the first episode? Watched it last night and I was really impressed. Extremely dark and nasty. Excited to see what the rest of the season brings.
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad to see someone else watched it. I quite liked it as well, and the performances were all great. There is room for improvement, and the premiere could have used a bit more action, but I still like the feel and ambiance the show offers. I thought the scene at the end was superbly done, even if it was quite obvious who that was from the beginning.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Agreed. Really impressed by Timothy Dalton in the first episode. Great role for him.
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The show had a great creepy vibe to it. I love the mash up of Victorian era characters. Eva Green is great in it.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully discussion picks up as I don't see the series surviving long unless ratings peak.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a fun show! It has a nice amount of creepy in it and the mystery of the characters is organic. The first episode was great and I recommend this show!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The show is pretty neat so far 2 episodes in. Interesting to weave a few horror classics together like this.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was greatly anticipating this premiere and for the most part the pilot didn't disappoint. The first 30 minutes were tremendously suspenseful, wonderfully gory and set up a very interesting story line. Timothy Dalton was such a bad-ass, Eva Green was so creepy and manipulative while Josh Hartnett really surprised me totally holding his own with the others. After the 30 min mark I felt the show lulled just a touch but quickly found its footing while for me the name reveal at the end i sorta made me roll my eyes at but I still am interested to see where it goes from here.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
I was greatly anticipating this premiere and for the most part the pilot didn't disappoint. The first 30 minutes were tremendously suspenseful, wonderfully gory and set up a very interesting story line. Timothy Dalton was such a bad-ass, Eva Green was so creepy and manipulative while Josh Hartnett really surprised me totally holding his own with the others. After the 30 min mark I felt the show lulled just a touch but quickly found its footing while for me the name reveal at the end i sorta made me roll my eyes at but I still am interested to see where it goes from here.
(Not trying to dump on you here) Why did you roll your eyes? That's the actual story that is being told here. If you are a fan of the Extraordinary Gentleman then you should enjoy this because, while Penny Dreadful is far darker, the characters in the show are familiar and what you should expect. The "dead character" is part of the supernatural world and it isn't cheesy at all to include it here. What I really like is that this isn't a True Blood (If you're not watching it you should be.) style of supernatural story telling. I think I'll really enjoy this show.

Eva Green is creepy as #### as well.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

What channel is this on? Yes I am too lazy to google.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What channel is this on? Yes I am too lazy to google.

The Network is Showtime.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
The Network is Showtime.
Thanks, I realized after I typed it that channel is a very archaic term
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #13
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it's like an effed up "Once Upon a Time"?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was expecting something cheesy, and was pleasantly surprised.

Acting was very good, cinematography was top notch for a TV show, dialogue didn't have me groaning, and the tone was appropriately dark.

The only thing really off was the dongs-to-boobs ratio. 3:0 isn't going to fly for this viewer.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Was expecting something cheesy, and was pleasantly surprised.

Acting was very good, cinematography was top notch for a TV show, dialogue didn't have me groaning, and the tone was appropriately dark.

The only thing really off was the dongs-to-boobs ratio. 3:0 isn't going to fly for this viewer.
LOL hilarious that you kept score.

Cadaver dong is the worst.
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Yeah, dongs are only ready for prime time, if the male body attached to it is fat, sweaty, hairy, and/or dead. If its attached appendage is a thriving, hot male, it's a no go.

As for the show, I wasn't totally blown away by it. I liked the ending. I thought the acting was great from everyone. I liked it enough to keep with it. I really like anything dealing with supernatural elements, so it showed me enough that I will keep watching.

I was surprised and happy to see Josh Hartnett. I didn't think he would do TV. He seemed content doing indy movies. He did well though.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #17
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
(Not trying to dump on you here) Why did you roll your eyes? That's the actual story that is being told here. If you are a fan of the Extraordinary Gentleman then you should enjoy this because, while Penny Dreadful is far darker, the characters in the show are familiar and what you should expect. The "dead character" is part of the supernatural world and it isn't cheesy at all to include it here. What I really like is that this isn't a True Blood (If you're not watching it you should be.) style of supernatural story telling. I think I'll really enjoy this show.

Eva Green is creepy as #### as well.

Thanks for the question my friend and to tell you the truth, i guess i just wasn't expecting the show to turn into a kind of fairy tale/fable/lore type show. I thought it was going to be entirely original and actually it didn't even occur to me at the time of watching when the naked guy is sitting in ice with electrodes on his head that it could have anything to do with Frankenstein, lol.

I saw only one preview for the show and i was completely hooked so I didn't watch another one after. The title of the show never meant anything to me so while i rolled my eyes at the time, its not to say i was disappointed or thought it was cheesy but I guess represents how unaware I personally was for the Frankenstein name drop, lol. I'm still very much willing to see where the show takes me.

Only since you brought it up but in my opinion, the first three season of True Blood were absolutely amazing but each season after, has been a steady decline of absurdity with the nudity/sex scenes doing little more then stopping me from FF to watch it until the actual show starts up again.

Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #18
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

True Blood CP Thread tease.

That's why I put that in there. It makes me laugh every time.
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #19
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Second episode was a let down (despite an improved ratio) - meandering and unfocused, little plot progression, and the introduction of a new character either cheesily written or cheesily acted, the very things I was relieved the first episode avoided.

But.... That last scene set the hook right back in, and I'm looking forward to episode 3.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #20
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

You didn't enjoy Eva Green going completely mental for 10 minutes? Although I had no idea what she said in that scene, and had to look it up after.

I will agree to not liking that new character though, apparently she's from Dr. Who.

Tags
penny dreadful , the full monty