Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Question about a BS Iginla rumour

I was talking to someone and they said they have no interest in Iginla because near the end of his time with the Flames he was a cancer in the locker room, was all about his stats, played no defense and was bad for the young guys. Is this BS? Were these false rumours?

Last edited by colbym72; 02-26-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Misleading title
Old 02-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

they are false
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla won the Messier award.

Despite what some on CP would have you believe, they don't hand out the Messier award to guys who are problems in the room
Old 02-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are we doing this?
Old 02-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any award named after an career Oiler, casual Ranger and terrible Canuck holds little value.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not sure what's worse, the BS rumour or the fact this could have gone in the thread that already existed.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should clarify however that I don't think Iginla was in any way a problem in the room. He was awesome to have around, but that swings both ways as well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he became a distraction through no fault of his own...building a team around him in in the later years was obviously a poor decision
Old 02-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didnt mean to start anything. Its something someone brought up that I thought was total BS but I wanted to ask to make sure I wasnt missing anything from his days.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #10
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He was an uppity loner
Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a dressing room

Old 02-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #12
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Didn't Rhett Warrener say that (paraphrasing) Iggy was the reason why there was a country club atmosphere in the locker room and it was good that they moved him because it wouldn't have changed as long as he was there.

I suspect there is something to that.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
I was talking to someone and they said they have no interest in Iginla because near the end of his time with the Flames he was a cancer in the locker room, was all about his stats, played no defense and was bad for the young guys. Is this BS? Were these false rumours?
Iginla was all those things and more. I heard he purposely veto'd the Boston trade not because he thought the Pens were a better contender. But he had a personal feud with Jay Feaster going back to the Bolts cup win in '04. Something about how Feaster winked at him weirdly in the handshake line.

Turns out, Iginla had the last laugh.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #14
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's BS. First off, if there was a country club atmosphere, it was totally gone by the time the rebuild started. Regehr was gone, pretty much all the older players like Langkow, Phaneuf, and Tanguay are all gone. If you want to includes the likes of Gio, Stajan, Backlund, and Brodie - those are the remaining players of the "country club" days as well. So, I call it BS. Feaster already said that Iggy wasn't the problem for the club as he's always striving to get to the playoffs and there was no quit in him to do so. However, the Flames were gunning for the rebuild and if the Flames really wanted Iggy to stay, they would've like him to stay. At the same time, the Flames were in a dilemma - try to sign Iggy for which there is a high chance of loosing him from free agency or trade him to a cup contender so that he can get a chance at the Cup again. I think it's a mutual agreement on both sides. Iggy could've been an a-hole like what happened with Sundin, but he chose to go to a contender and at the same time, allow the Flames to do a rebuild. I think for both the Flames as an organization and for Iggy, it's probably the worse possible thing a franchise and a franchise player had to do.

If this had to be done over again, the Flames, IMHO, would've kept Iggy and said "we're going to win with you all the way regardless if we're going through bad times". I think that would've been the right thing to do given what kind of crap we got for Iggy.

Yeah, Warrener can say what he wants or what you think he said. I think some of you should actually ask him straight out over the air and straighten this BS up.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #15
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Iginla was all those things and more. I heard he purposely veto'd the Boston trade not because he thought the Pens were a better contender. But he had a personal feud with Jay Feaster going back to the Bolts cup win in '04. Something about how Feaster winked at him weirdly in the handshake line.

Turns out, Iginla had the last laugh.
C'mon, everyone thought the Pens were going to win it that year. It was either the Pens or the Hawks, but the Pens had the highest certainty at the time of the trade. Don't read too much from something out of nothing. You and I would've done the same thing if the odds were stacked on the Pens side that year. But playoffs are not guaranteed if another team gets pissed enough for something that was done before hand. Who would've thought the Pens would go in shaky against the Islanders and then shell-shocked by the Bruins afterwards?

I'd also add that Jay Feaster was added to the Flames management just to do one thing - to rebuild the team. If that meant rebuilding from ground up, he'd do that and he did do it. If he still had players like JBo, Regehr, Iggy and a smaller core of vets in the lineup, it would've likely halted some parts of the rebuild. Also, that's what the majority of the fans wanted in the town hall meetings at the Dome. Feaster listened and he delivered, yet albeit building a team that was fast but small. By getting rid of all the big contracts and the restrictive conditions, Feaster was able to push the team to the basement but added some entertainment value. I don't think any of the Flames' past and present GM's were willing to do that. To me Feaster was a sacrificial lamb. Once the tank is over, cut his throat and move on. Everyone saw that coming with Burke being hired.

Last edited by CSharp; 02-26-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #16
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Fanatics are just out of touch with reality. If I posted somewhere that Brouwer was a terrible leader and there's been concerns about his attitude in the locker room, anyone who doesn't like Brouwer will use that as ammo, saying they "heard somewhere that Brouwer was cancer". And even it it's debunked, people will still keep the "rumour" alive because that's what they want to believe against a whipping boy or perceived detriment to the team they are fanatical about.

Similarly, if there was a rumour against Gaudreau, who's perceived as a favorite and essential asset to team success, no matter how supported that rumour will be, it will always be questioned and met with skepticism.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #17
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Things were going too well for the Flames at the moment. Someone had to rehash this, with new garbage.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 02-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #18
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Unless any of us were in the room, this question will never get answered.

I will say that the last few years here his play on the ice does fall in line with idea that it was all about his stats and he played no defense. He rarely came all the back on defense. He was a frustrating player to watch in his last few years here. He was a shadow of the player that took this team to the Cup Finals.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #19
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I am going to delete this post. These were not my thoughts, they were some that someone mentioned. I own Iginla's jersey and some memorabilia. I love the guy. I knew it was BS so I dont wanna have fake #### on here
The Following User Says Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread