Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:
Default "police incident" yesterday on Deerfoot and Barlow (Douglasdale)

Does anyone know what that was? Northbound deerfoot closed during rush hour yesterday morning. I drove by the other way and saw heavy, heavy police presence, it was a huge deal.

They had cruisers up on the Barlow bridge, and a bunch more on deerfoot with some crazy, high tech gear on the road that I didn't recognize, along with a semi pulled over on the shoulder. My first thought was someone waited on the Barlow trail bridge until the semi came and then jumped, hence the radio silence from the media.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

According to Reddit, someone jumped off the bridge. Sad. https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...l_delayed_due/
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
According to Reddit, someone jumped off the bridge. Sad. https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...l_delayed_due/
Yeah, that's what I figured, that's unfortunate. I called police a few months ago when a kid was hanging out at the side of that bridge looking out at traffic. Police phoned back and said they used hawcs and didn't find anyone, so that was a relief.

Is Reddit discussion always like that? It seems like a very "young" style of discussion. Like when threads here occasionally get taken over by our uninformed, drive-by posters.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-24-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, that's what I figured, that's unfortunate. I called police a few months ago when a kid was hanging out at the side of that bridge looking out at traffic. Police phoned back and said they used hawcs and didn't find anyone, so that was a relief.

Is Reddit discussion always like that? It seems like a very "young" style of discussion. Like when threads here occasionally get taken over by our uninformed, drive-by posters.
Cp has great info and great Flames discussion but is overly PC and seems like a bunch of grammas talking after church.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Cp has great info and great Flames discussion but is overly PC and seems like a bunch of grammas talking after church.
I for one appreciate the civil conversation here.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Like it seems like many people on CP speak and act the way they feel seems right in every discussion rather than how they most likely speak and act in real life? I'd say that's fair criticism.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

But I don't get the taco.vidal comment into context of this post? Pretty simple, what happened at this incident. Response, and a commentary. I could see the church response in maybe another thread?
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
But I don't get the taco.vidal comment into context of this post? Pretty simple, what happened at this incident. Response, and a commentary. I could see the church response in maybe another thread?
Well, I kind of brought it on with my comments.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #9
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Well, I kind of brought it on with my comments.
You might have opened the window, but taco pulled down his pants and farted through it. Not your fault your kitchen smells like fart, it's his.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 PM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sure hope the conversation style here never drops to reddit levels.

I am surprised that the media in Calgary has been deadly silent on this. I read suggestions on Facebook that there was a jumper who was subsequently hit by a truck. If this is true, my thoughts are with the the family of the person who died. It is really hard to wrap your head around the desperation that someone must have felt as they were on the bridge.

Of course, if it is true that the person was hit by a truck, my thoughts go out to the driver.

i am assuming the story is not being publicized as perhaps they don't want to give people ideas, and I would imagine they want the families to grieve privately.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:29 AM   #11
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The media doesn't talk about suicide. almost all news stations follow that policy. They don't report on suicides because really nothing good can come out of it. More anguish for the family and friends and can have an effect on people who are already suicidal.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #12
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yup. Unless there is an overriding reason (celebrity, cat already out of the bag, public health issue), neither the police nor the media will talk about a suicide.

In this case though, all signs made it rather obvious. CPS will never close Deerfoot except in the event of a major incident, usually a fatality, where accident reconstruction is necessary. And the fact that they refused to call it an accident really left only one other realistic option for what happened.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Suicides don't get reported because it leads to a spike in deaths for a short period of time in populations similar to the original victim (be it through more Suicides or violent accidents). Dr Robert Cialdini discusses the effect of social proof in detail in his book Influence.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote