Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 02-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #861
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Garland may have been segregated before trial, but he was not at the Calgary Remand Center.
What's the difference? My post suggested this was the first time he'd probably been around other inmates which was true. I'd assumed he was still housed at CRC but that part is irrelevant. The fact that this was the first time he'd been housed with other inmates still stands.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #862
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't condemn systemic retribution as part of the incarceration process. I think it's a dangerous slippery slope. However, if a victims family member beat the crap out of this POS I'd totally understand.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #863
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
What's the difference? My post suggested this was the first time he'd probably been around other inmates which was true. I'd assumed he was still housed at CRC but that part is irrelevant. The fact that this was the first time he'd been housed with other inmates still stands.
He'd been around other inmates for the entire trial. No sure why he'd be in solitary in somewhere else and not at the remand.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #864
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
He'd been around other inmates for the entire trial. No sure why he'd be in solitary in somewhere else and not at the remand.
Don't know where you get your info from but he was supposed to be segregated and someone slipped up.

Quote:
He said the remand centre has protective custody units and that Garland was being held in an area where he was supposed to be safe.

Dan Laville, a spokesman for Alberta’s Justice and Solicitor General department, said in an email that an internal investigation will also be done in addition to the police one.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/14844766

Edit- another quote from lawyer on how he was not supposed to of been allowed around any other inmates.

Quote:
"Obviously a child murder is one of the most horrific things that we as a society would abhor, and while he [was] awaiting trial on that matter he [needed] to be protected from potential assault from other inmates, that's just obvious," Savage said.

"So how this could possibly happen at this stage in the proceedings needs explaining."
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca...?client=safari

Last edited by Patek23; 02-19-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #865
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Prison "justice" has always existed. I personally don't approve of it, but in the case of this convict whose name I'll never utter again, it is comforting that this scum will live in fear of it for the rest of his days.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #866
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Triple murderer Douglas Garland back in jail under close watch after threats made

Quote:
Convicted triple murderer Douglas Garland has been released from hospital after receiving treatment for injuries sustained in a beating by fellow inmates at the Calgary Remand Centre.

He was returned to remand by correctional officers Sunday afternoon at approximately 1:30 p.m. MT.

Global News has learned he will be in administrative segregation under close watch and will have limited contact with other inmates. Sources said there is heightened security after threats were posted on social media.

Sources told Global News the 57-year-old was in a common area of the provincial jail when he was attacked from behind by four inmates. He received multiple blows to the head and midsection.

Sources confirm the incident was captured on CCTV at the Remand Centre.

Garland was brought to the Remand Centre for the trial. He was previously in a segregated unit in a facility outside of the city.

Garland’s defence lawyer Kim Ross said he will be going to see his client this weekend and will be demanding measures are taken to prevent further assaults.

Defence confirmed Garland will be seen early next week to discuss placement in a federal institution. Ross said Garland will go to the Edmonton Max. However, he will likely be held at the Calgary Remand Centre for an additional two to four weeks; the time period he’s allowed to file an appeal.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3259757/tr.../?sf57332571=1

Last edited by jschick88; 02-19-2017 at 02:37 PM.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #867
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lawyer rips Douglas Garland prison attack.

“If there’s members of the public who think, yeah, that’s good, I’m glad this happened, or whatever they may think about it, they are absolutely, totally wrong,” Der said in an interview Sunday.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/02/20...-prison-attack
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #868
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ meh, garland has access to oxygen and water - those seem like basic human rights to me
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #869
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Balfour Der is just as big of a piece of crap. I wonder what he would say if someone did what Garland did to his family. Scummy lawyer.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #870
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Balfour Der is just as big of a piece of crap. I wonder what he would say if someone did what Garland did to his family. Scummy lawyer.
Since you feel it appropriate to sling mud at someone you don't even know, I will do the same thing. I'm tired of this kind of bull#### attitude about criminal defense lawyers. They serve a necessary and valuable role, and should be lauded, not reviled like this idiot OP has done. He's the latest in a long line of ignorant, judgmental buffoons who rip the legal profession without knowing that they live under its protections and that it's lawyers like Balfour Der, Jim Lutz and Kim Ross that keep individuals like you and I safe from overreaching government, from police/prosecution cutting corners in the name of conviction, and from violations of the rights afforded to us under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I happen to know Balfour Der personally. He is a phenomenal and knowledgeable lawyer, and an even better person. #### off with your ignorant insults.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #871
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I also know Balfour Der and he is a great and funny guy and while I agree with him that the Remand needs to be a lot safer, I couldn't care less if it's a Mexican jail for Garland and I hope the beatings continue. He isn't no petty assault criminal who I agree shouldn't have to be beaten up in jail he's a scumbag who deserves everything he gets.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #872
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Since you feel it appropriate to sling mud at someone you don't even know, I will do the same thing. I'm tired of this kind of bull#### attitude about criminal defense lawyers. They serve a necessary and valuable role, and should be lauded, not reviled like this idiot OP has done. He's the latest in a long line of ignorant, judgmental buffoons who rip the legal profession without knowing that they live under its protections and that it's lawyers like Balfour Der, Jim Lutz and Kim Ross that keep individuals like you and I safe from overreaching government, from police/prosecution cutting corners in the name of conviction, and from violations of the rights afforded to us under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I happen to know Balfour Der personally. He is a phenomenal and knowledgeable lawyer, and an even better person. #### off with your ignorant insults.
It's also worth mentioning that a solid defense representation is crucial to making sure the convicted can't validate any claims that the process wasn't fair. If a defense lawyer mails it in, all it does is help the appeal.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #873
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post

Watch your mouth. I happen to know the murder victim in a case where he defended the guy who murdered my acquaintance. See it from the other side #######.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #874
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Watch your mouth. I happen to know the murder victim in a case where he defended the guy who murdered my acquaintance. See it from the other side #######.
Sorry for your loss, but this is exactly why we need impartial defense lawyers.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #875
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Unless Mr. Der assisted in the murder, I fail to see how his defending the guy who murdered your acquaintance justifies referring to him as a 'scummy lawyer' who is 'just as big of a piece of crap' as Doug Garland.

How do you see that as 'the other side' of the position that defence lawyers like Mr. Der fulfill a very important role in society and can be excellent lawyers and even better people?

Do you really believe a defence lawyer is the moral equivalent of his or her client? If I represent a child murderer in court it must be because I support the killing of children?

I just cannot follow what point you think you are making.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #876
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I do. The first time I heard of him I was in first year university when he defended someone who had killed the boyfriend of a friend of mine. So yeah, I happen to have seen it from that side, and I still consider the man a friend. In fact, he was the person who inspired me to become a lawyer in the first place. So, sympathy for your acquaintance, but I am most definitely not taking back my earlier words to you.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #877
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I happen to be family to a murder victim as well. And you are completely, totally and 100% wrong. I have a lot of respect for defense attorneys. It takes a great deal more courage to stand up on behalf of someone like Garland - because our constitution and laws guarantee him that right - than anything you've shown in your last few posts.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #878
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I didn't follow the trial as closely as some and I had a quick question about the timeline of events. I know it was by luck the the aerial photos were taken that had the bodies in the field, but how long after the family had been missing were those photos taken?

Just a horrible tragedy all around. I remember the day the police went public with the description of the truck. I was out taking our dog for a walk and saw a very similar truck about a block from our house. There were three or four other folks staring at the truck and staring at each other to figure out what we should do. It turns out the truck was actually found that same morning, so it was just a coincidence but it was a pretty tense few moments.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #879
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garland is clearly a horrible person but I am surprised at the amount of posters who are critical of defence attorneys and would like to do away with important parts of our rights and freedoms. Props to the posters with legal expertise for providing good explanations of why a good defence is an integral part of the legal system.

The way I think about is what if my wife or a close family member was wrongfully accused even with overwhelming evidence. I would be very thankfully we have a legal system where you are innocent until proven guilty and have the opportunity to apply for bail and receive a proper defence.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #880
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I too have a close personal friend who happens to be a criminal defence lawyer. Defended one of the Nazi skinhead scumbags who viciously beat Mark Mariani to death a few years ago.

One of the kindest, most compassionate persons I know.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote