Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 02-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #501
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

How could he possibly try to claim NCR if there is so much evidence showing he was planning this for a while? he even had a book on how to kill without emotion didn't he?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #502
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. That and he had a motive based in reality....business deal gone bad. That points to other than psychosis.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #503
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Triple-murder trial of Douglas #Garland to conclude with closing arguments

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 22m22 minutes ago
More
Parker-tells jury #Garland obsessed about Alvin Liknes--said It’s not clear exactly when Garland incorporated Kathy into his plot

Parker: He wanted the exact tools for the job... All phases of capture and death were researched-beginning to end #Garland

Parker-tells jury internet cut off at Liknes home-they wouldn't have been able to call 911 from their VOIP phone #Garland

Parker: "This was...virtually a mistake free crime scene" reminding jury of Tyvec suits found at #Garland property

Parker tells jury #Garland burned the shoes he wore at the Liknes crime scene --"not surprisingly he burned them"

Parker to jury: #If all he wanted to do was kill Alvin and Kathy-he could have done that in minutes" #Garland "he had the knowledge"

“His interest ran to more than just killing” Parker tells jury-he is facing jury as he goes through this evidence #Garland

Parker: "There was no signs either Kathy or Nathan had their throats slit" #Garland

Alvin, Kathy and Nathan were still alive when they were taken from the crime scene Parker tells jury #Garland

“Nathan tried to steady himself on the stairs” Parker tells jury-was mobile outside of spare room #Garland

Parker-third impact site for Alvin was near the door-said Alvin was still struggling "no need to hit an already dead man" #Garland

"Nathan and Kathy were not killed while sleeping in the bed...they were not willingly going with their attacker" #Garland
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #504
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parker "this is as close as you get to an autopsy photo in this case"- showing aerial photo of what he says are bodies of 3 victims #Garland
Old 02-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #505
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The twitter feed is the most chilling I've ever read.

I'm not sure what the defence could even say in response.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #506
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW!

Ugh. Chilling stuff.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #507
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just reading the tweets leaves me incredibly sad, empty and angry.

I can't imagine what the family and the members of the jury are feeling.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #508
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ what a piece of work garland is.......I thought I knew what to expect before reading the tweets, but it was a tough go.

these jurors have gone above and beyond in doing their community service
Old 02-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #509
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 7m7 minutes ago
More
Parker: reminds jury of "nasty bruise" on #Garland knee when arrested-and blister on thumb-crown said from sawing

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 10m10 minutes ago
More
#Garland had an alias-Matthew Hartley- Parker points out to jury

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 11m11 minutes ago
More
Parker said he anticipates defence will argue someone else did this crime #Garland

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 14m14 minutes ago
More
Crown: telling jury what he expects defence for #Garland to say in final arguments

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 3m3 minutes ago
More
Parker: "You are faced with an awesome responsibility”- "don't outsmart your common sense" he tells jury of reaching verdicts #Garland

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
More
Parker to jury "You got to hear all of the evidence, not a snapshot or a tweet” #Garland "you felt the trial "
Old 02-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #510
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is the most harrowing trial for a parent. The unspeakable horror of someone doing this to a little child leaves me indescribably sad. I can't imagine the parent's grief. Rest in peace Nathan, you are in a much better place.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #511
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

For so long I wanted to know what happened. Not out of morbid curiosity, but there were just so many questions that seemed to need answering.

I expected that the details of the trial would be difficult to hear, but the details are worse than I could have imagined. I can't even begin to think about how the families, jurors, investigators, lawyers, etc. must feel.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #512
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
For so long I wanted to know what happened. Not out of morbid curiosity, but there were just so many questions that seemed to need answering.

I expected that the details of the trial would be difficult to hear, but the details are worse than I could have imagined. I can't even begin to think about how the families, jurors, investigators, lawyers, etc. must feel.
A lot of folks want to know until they do know, then wish that they didn't know.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #513
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
A lot of folks want to know until they do know, then wish that they didn't know.
Count me in the group of folks that wants to know, and once I do, I'm very glad I got to find out.

I am very sympathetic to the family, but in the interest of our society I think it is important that we know these type of people are real (and not just on TV shows), and more importantly, that our justice system is working appropriately.

Imagine what kind of society we would live in if you never heard about the evidence against the accused, and only of the punishments for the guilty?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #514
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Count me in the group of folks that wants to know, and once I do, I'm very glad I got to find out.
One of the reasons I got into the profession I did is because I have always wanted to know All The Things.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #515
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Defense still yet to present their final arguments. Kinda surprised since the court was supposed to reconvene at 2. Wonder if they are rejigging their strategy last minute.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #516
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 10m10 minutes ago
More
Jury back in room now for closing argument from #Garland defence -Justice Gates apologizes for delay

Ross: "#Garland is entitled to the presumption of innocence”

Ross: Crown has failed to prove #Garland caused the deaths of Alvin and Kathy Liknes and Nathan O’Brien

Ross: Crown has not tendered any evidence the three victims were killed at the farm #Garland

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 8m8 minutes ago
More
Ross: There is no evidence that #Garland was in the Liknes home "not a single piece of DNA"
Old 02-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #517
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are those statements technically incorrect?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #518
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ross: "Let’s look at this grudge, and let’s look at what Douglas #Garland did about it"- of what crown called petty grudge over pump/patent

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 14m14 minutes ago
More
Ross: Crown has not tendered any evidence the three victims were killed at the farm #Garland
Old 02-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #519
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Straw grasping of this nature is what delayed things for an hour?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #520
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I knew it, he's going for the whole beyond reasonable doubt statement. I'm betting he reminds the jurors what it means at the end.

Its the ultimate hail mary. He didn't want to to present a lot of testimony in the end because at least I think, he feels that the jury has almost been traumatized by the evidence shown by the crown. So he doesn't want to remind the jury of what the prosecution presented.

Basically, it feels like he's saying that the stuff that you saw the crown present might have been impressive and might have been damning, but it didn't prove for sure that my client did it. And even if you have 1 doubt you have to acquit.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote