Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #421
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

They've got a relatively easy schedule to finish the season, so they should be able to ride it out with the current roster and still easily get top 4; could pick up Jennings if he clears waivers too (or, *shudder* Calderon). But I'm fine with giving Wright a good look instead.

Woj is saying it could be 4-5 weeks, which at this point seems like a not-the-end-of-the-world scenario. At least he'll be rested.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #422
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they play well down the stretch without Lowry, it will obviously raise questions of whether they need to bring him back if he opts out as expected. Not re-signing Lowry likely keeps them out of the luxury tax while still keeping Ibaka and not having to trade JV. Cory is a capable starter, and I think we all wanna see more from Delon too. As Da_Chief says, could end up being a blessing for the Raps to get an extended run without Lowry.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #423
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
If they play well down the stretch without Lowry, it will obviously raise questions of whether they need to bring him back if he opts out as expected. Not re-signing Lowry likely keeps them out of the luxury tax while still keeping Ibaka and not having to trade JV. Cory is a capable starter, and I think we all wanna see more from Delon too. As Da_Chief says, could end up being a blessing for the Raps to get an extended run without Lowry.
I honestly don't care if the Raps resign Lowry. To me, he's pretty over-rated. He's basically all hustle with a very low basketball IQ in my opinion. While hustle is great, his body will not be capable of continuing to play that way. He's already on the wrong side of 30. When he slows down a step, you got an undersized PG prone to making dumb decisions. Not a player I want to pay max money for 5 years. He only has a couple good years left in him, if that.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #424
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TSN confirming he's out until AT LEAST the playoffs. Good job this moron took part in the three point competition.......
Old 02-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #425
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeMar....
Old 02-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #426
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeMar!
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #427
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow that was ugly as all hell

DeKobe and DeGOAT are the new nicknames lol
Old 02-27-2017, 10:22 PM   #428
kmart
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
TSN confirming he's out until AT LEAST the playoffs. Good job this moron took part in the three point competition.......
Forget TSN go with Woj's 4-5 weeks. He's the best in the business, he literally called out the KD to the Warriors move 4-5 months before it happened.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/sou...182559375.html
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #429
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seeing Kyle Lowry yuck it up on the sideline tonight and play coach getting in the huddle tonight really pissed me off tonight. Maybe it shouldn't, but given the circumstances of Bianca injuries it really left a bad taste in my mouth.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 11:08 PM   #430
kmart
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Seeing Kyle Lowry yuck it up on the sideline tonight and play coach getting in the huddle tonight really pissed me off tonight. Maybe it shouldn't, but given the circumstances of Bianca injuries it really left a bad taste in my mouth.
Um, thats a really negative spin on things. I'll spin it in a positive way for you . Kyle is the most veteran player on the team with lots of knowledge from different coaches. On the floor he is also the commander of the team, he probably knows the most about each player and where they should be. It is fantastic that he is out there given the circumstances giving full support of his teammates. What a leader!

On a serious note, lots of hate for Lowry and DeRozan considering they were the ones that took this franchise to its highest heights. They are great players and they can't really be substituted with Joseph, Powell, Wright, or FVV. I like Powell and Wright too, but they aren't even close to DeRozans and Lowry's level yet. Today's game was a prime example of why both Lowry AND Derozan are needed. Derozan scored 37 everyone else on the team absolutely struggled scoring the basketball. This team needs them both.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #431
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't agree.

The way this collection of players is coached, this team needs dd and KL.

However if you brought in a coach who could see beyond the guard position, you'd also have success.

Perhaps the silver lining in Lowry going down is that the Raptors get an extended stretch to see what it would be like should they not re-sign him in the summer. Perhaps the money is better spent on Ibaka and Tucker combined?

I also think that Ibaka is vocal enough, veteran enough, and smart enough to know how much a good playoff run is worth for his next contract. I suspect he'll be hollering very loudly for the ball and if he doesn't get it, he'll get in the face of his guards.

The Raptors lose 2 volume shooters. Does the rest of the team have enough ball sense to share it?
Old 02-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #432
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I don't agree.

The way this collection of players is coached, this team needs dd and KL.

However if you brought in a coach who could see beyond the guard position, you'd also have success.

Perhaps the silver lining in Lowry going down is that the Raptors get an extended stretch to see what it would be like should they not re-sign him in the summer. Perhaps the money is better spent on Ibaka and Tucker combined?

I also think that Ibaka is vocal enough, veteran enough, and smart enough to know how much a good playoff run is worth for his next contract. I suspect he'll be hollering very loudly for the ball and if he doesn't get it, he'll get in the face of his guards.

The Raptors lose 2 volume shooters. Does the rest of the team have enough ball sense to share it?
You win in the NBA with stars. Not great coaching unless you are Pop.

To beat Cleveland (Not to mention to West) you need Lowry and DD dropping 30 a night and getting hot. Like super hot.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:19 PM   #433
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

To beat Cleveland you do need people to put the ball in the basket.

But that doesn't mean it has to be DD and KL shooting 40 attempts between then at a high 30s low 40s percentage.

That's easy to defend in close games. The Raptors have to create an offence where the ball goes into the post consistently in order to open space for their perimeter players.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #434
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well really the NBA now is all about high pick and roll more than it is running offense through the post. It's why getting Ibaka is great as a long term piece because he is a great person to run it with, but JV too is very good, especially at screening. But the Raps are not beating Cleveland or Golden State with offense, defense is the only way, and Masai knows that hence getting Ibaka and Tucker.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #435
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Internet predictably going wild that this news broke on.....3/1.

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @WojVerticalNBA 7h7 hours ago
Sources: Warriors, Kevin Durant's inner-circle bracing for tough news on KD's knee, awaiting MRI result. Fear is he's out months, not weeks.
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/s...52734791991297

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 03-01-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #436
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Raptors lay an egg in TO against the Wizards and then comeback and beat them at home. Weird! Intensity level was night and day. No Lowry means no nights off or they are done like dinner.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #437
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've stopped trying to predict how the Raptors will perform in any given game. Terrible team to bet on.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #438
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Delon with a franchise record (for a guard) with 4 blocks yesterday. I'm really starting to think he's going to be very important in the playoffs. I'm really liking the end game lineup of Ibaka-Tucker-Powell-Delon-DeMar, though I understand using Cory instead of Delon since he's better at running the offense. But with Delon in there, that is a stout defensive lineup, lots of length to bother teams.

Also, poor JV. In a game they are getting abused on the glass, he still can't get in the lineup. Suffice to say this is the end for him in Toronto.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #439
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Delon with a franchise record (for a guard) with 4 blocks yesterday. I'm really starting to think he's going to be very important in the playoffs. I'm really liking the end game lineup of Ibaka-Tucker-Powell-Delon-DeMar, though I understand using Cory instead of Delon since he's better at running the offense. But with Delon in there, that is a stout defensive lineup, lots of length to bother teams.

Also, poor JV. In a game they are getting abused on the glass, he still can't get in the lineup. Suffice to say this is the end for him in Toronto.
It's just too bad we didn't sell high when he was consistently in the line-up.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #440
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I've stopped trying to predict how the Raptors will perform in any given game. Terrible team to bet on.
Yep they play great against the Wizards then turn right around and stink against the Bucks. JV scores every time he shots and is promptly benched. Rookie comes in and stinks along with the rest of the 2nd unit. He hits the bench and Ibaka goes at the 5. Casey with his small ball lineup love. They make a little run and then get owned.

No Lowry and they are toast.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competitive disparity , in masai we trust , minny is further north , nat'l blowout association , nba 2k17 is the bomb , swept away , yawnba