Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #41
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Leafs have kind of fallen behind the Blue Jays and Raptors in that market so I can see why they are going out to make the playoffs. I don't think a 2nd round pick is too much of a price to pay as they already have a lot of good young prospects.
You must be on pretty serious pain killers if you think the Leafs have fallen behind the Raps and Blue Jays in the Toronto market. Take a trip to Toronto, look around town, go to the mall. listen to the radio, etc. They are second fiddle to no one. It's not even close. The Blue Jays could win the World Series again and they'd still be second fiddle to the Leafs. Leafs fever is actually ramping up there. Will be off the charts if they make the playoffs. The Raptors won't even exist if they are both still in the playoffs at the same time.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #42
jer_33
Draft Pick

Speculation would be that the Leafs would try to extend Boyle in the offseason.

He'll take a bunch of defensive zone face-offs (dropping Ben Smith off the roster), and allowing Babcock to play Bozak only in the offensive zone.
jer_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #43
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I'm okay with this trade. Leafs have decent centre depth now throughout the lineup..Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, and Boyle. I don't think they re-sign him though. I thought Gauthier looked pretty good when he played on the 4th line. I think he could take that spot next season.

And for people saying it is a waste of a 2nd. I hope the Leafs trade JVR at the deadline and his return will be more than what they gave up for Boyle.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
You must be on pretty serious pain killers if you think the Leafs have fallen behind the Raps and Blue Jays in the Toronto market. Take a trip to Toronto, look around town, go to the mall. listen to the radio, etc. They are second fiddle to no one. It's not even close. The Blue Jays could win the World Series again and they'd still be second fiddle to the Leafs. Leafs fever is actually ramping up there. Will be off the charts if they make the playoffs. The Raptors won't even exist if they are both still in the playoffs at the same time.
First of all there Jays and Raptors have been the buzz in the town for the last few years. That can't be debated as while Leafs interest has picked up this season it was abnormally poor last season. The demographics are changing in Toronto. It's actually a fair debate going on there amongst the sports fans and media. I don't doubt for a second the Leafs rule with the 40+ year old segment but the Raptors are growing fast in the immigrant and youth base. Also you have to consider Toronto isn't a hockey city. It's been a Leafs city but not a hockey town by any means. That means the door is always going to be open for new generations to flock to other sports.

Your last statement in particular shows how out of touch you are with the market as that's simply not true.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-27-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #45
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
While I agree the Leafs are still the dominant sports franchise in the city you really are out to lunch here. The Raptors have one of the best followings in the NBA. They currently are playing in the best era in the franchises 22 year history. The Blue Jays are also a monster right now.

Fortunately for Toronto, not unlike Boston, New York, Chicago etc they have the population that will heavily support all their pro franchises (CFL doesn't count because it is irrelevant).
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #46
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a nice pick up for the Leafs. Great size, along with a secondary scoring physical forward is hard to find.
Boyle is so difficult to remove from the slot on the PP.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #47
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
While I agree the Leafs are still the dominant sports franchise in the city you really are out to lunch here. The Raptors have one of the best followings in the NBA. They currently are playing in the best era in the franchises 22 year history. The Blue Jays are also a monster right now.

Fortunately for Toronto, not unlike Boston, New York, Chicago etc they have the population that will heavily support all their pro franchises (CFL doesn't count because it is irrelevant).
I'm not saying the Raptors and Jays don't have great support, I'm saying it doesn't hold a candle to the Leafs, and it never will. It's very similar to the Cubs in Chicago. They support all their teams, but the Cubs are the crown jewel. Estrada made a pretty ridiculous assertion and won't back down from it as always. To say the Leafs have fallen behind the Jays and Raptors is pretty laughable. I go to Toronto at least once a month for work, our office is in the Air Canada Center so for him to say I'm not in touch with the sports scene there is not true at all. On Leafs game night there is a special buzz around town that doesn't exist for the other two teams. Outside of Jurassic Park in the playoffs, you really wouldn't even know the Raps are playing unless you are at the stadium. I can routinely walk up and get a ticket to a Raps game on game night unless Golden State, Cleveland, OKC, etc is in town. That's not in the realm of possibility for the Leafs.

The Blue Jays players have actually commented how great it is when training camp starts up because it takes the sports writers' focus off of them and the bullseye gets pointed directly on the Leafs.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-27-2017 at 10:31 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:08 PM   #48
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I sense you don't have a great feel for the Toronto sports market right now.
Nope, that would be you. I'm in Toronto for more than half the year and while the Raptors and Jay's have a big following and a growing one due to recent success, the Leafs are number one.

Period.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:22 AM   #49
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would agree with Estrada if we are discussing millennials or 905'ers
Leafs still rule all, but the Jays and now Raps have some serious fans that don't give two bits about the Leafs.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote