Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #21
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay...you are a Vampire.
Pretty much Just don't invite me into your house..... Let this be a friendly warning
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #22
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Diabetes. Type 2. Easy to manage with pills, diet and exercise.
I have the same. Found out a couple weeks before Christmas when I had a heart attack.(which I ended up having bypass surgery for) was a rough Christmas lol
Red Potato Standing By is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
Pretty much Just don't invite me into your house..... Let this be a friendly warning
I invite nobody into my house. I even have a 'snow moat' and everything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #24
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Aren't you guys worried about posting this kind of stuff with insurance companies lurking around social media and online profiles these days to snuff out medical issues about new and existing clients?
Non issue. They ask, you disclose fully otherwise your insurance may be worthless.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #25
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Ive had some success in managing it and would be happy to discuss privately with anyone.
At the onset of the disease I would have up to 37 joints flaring including Jaw and Neck.
That's rough for sure. My wife has it, and her dad had it as well. Good luck with your continued management.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #26
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Last February I developed a DVT blood clot in my thigh, that spread to my lungs for a pulmonary embolism. I was on Xarelto blood thinners for three months, and now a low dose aspirin every two days (not every day or I would get nose bleeds). I am fine now, and back doing my regular sports. I was quite sick for a few weeks there and couldn't walk, and really dodged the bullet. I'm happy to share my experience here or by PM if you have questions.

We think it was caused by an injury to my leg from skiing or hockey, followed by a long flight to Europe.
pulmonary embolism, damn, pretty serious, glad you're ok!
Old 02-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #27
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Into my fourth week with Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) or similar symptoms. Spent the first week in hospital because I could hardly move to start out, had to call an ambulance I couldn't even move to get out of the bedroom.

That's slowly improved over the past three weeks where I can walk around without a walker and do some things like microwave a burrito (had a setback today where I feel like I lost a week's worth of recovery). Still it's extremely frustrating as I can't drive, I can't clean, can't get groceries, having a lot of difficulty sleeping... My wife broke her ankle 2 days after I started this whole thing so she's incapacitated too. Fortunately I can use the computer more so am able to get some work done.

tl;dr, don't take your sense of balance for granted.

EDIT: Thanks to burn_this_city who's been supportive in PMs.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #28
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This probably isn't news to anyone, but I encourage everyone to incorporate moderate exercise into their lives. If you aren't sure what sorts of exercises you can do without exacerbating your condition, please work with a professional to figure out a regime that will work. The benefits of exercise transcend all elements of our lives and go really far in managing both physical and mental conditions.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #29
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Ive had some success in managing it and would be happy to discuss privately with anyone.
At the onset of the disease I would have up to 37 joints flaring including Jaw and Neck.
What rheumatologist have you been seeing? Mine is in the process of retiring, so I'm being transferred to someone else. He was awesome.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #30
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this the thread that makes this community as a whole officially "old" now?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #31
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say no, chronic illnesses don't just affect the elderly unfortunately.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #32
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
I'll have my cross and wooden stake ready
Old 02-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #33
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Is this the thread that makes this community as a whole officially "old" now?
Consider yourself very lucky. Chronic illnesses hit people of all ages.

Besides, if you call Photon "old" he might ban you
Old 02-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #34
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
This probably isn't news to anyone, but I encourage everyone to incorporate moderate exercise into their lives. If you aren't sure what sorts of exercises you can do without exacerbating your condition, please work with a professional to figure out a regime that will work. The benefits of exercise transcend all elements of our lives and go really far in managing both physical and mental conditions.
This is a good watch:
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #35
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I'd say no, chronic illnesses don't just affect the elderly unfortunately.
I was thinking more about the sitting around and talking about it aspect of this thread. But point taken.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #36
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Into my fourth week with Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) or similar symptoms. Spent the first week in hospital because I could hardly move to start out, had to call an ambulance I couldn't even move to get out of the bedroom.

That's slowly improved over the past three weeks where I can walk around without a walker and do some things like microwave a burrito (had a setback today where I feel like I lost a week's worth of recovery).
Vertigo is awful and can be completely debilitating. I had a bout a few years ago and the quack at the walk-in clinic waved it off as the flu. Hope it continues to improve.

So can you you microwave anything other than a burrito or is that your limit right now?
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #37
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

My girlfriend is going through a bad phase of migraines lately where she gets them every day. She's constantly worried about it and went to her doctor, than the hospital (she had a migraine with a nose bleed and vomiting) and an optometrist all of which weren't able to help her. They've tried a few different medications and treatments and nothing has helped. She's going to try CBD marijuana next as she's pretty much out of options.

If anyone who has been through this can offer any tips it would be much appreciated. Sucks cause none of the doctors seem to want try any tests or anything, just write it off as migraines and tell her there is nothing they can do. Would be nice if she could get an MRI or something to ease her worries that it's not something more serious.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #38
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
My girlfriend is going through a bad phase of migraines lately where she gets them every day. She's constantly worried about it and went to her doctor, than the hospital (she had a migraine with a nose bleed and vomiting) and an optometrist all of which weren't able to help her. They've tried a few different medications and treatments and nothing has helped. She's going to try CBD marijuana next as she's pretty much out of options.

If anyone who has been through this can offer any tips it would be much appreciated. Sucks cause none of the doctors seem to want try any tests or anything, just write it off as migraines and tell her there is nothing they can do. Would be nice if she could get an MRI or something to ease her worries that it's not something more serious.

Probably going to piled on for this suggestion, but it has helped both my wife and my nephew: has she considered trying a chiropractor? My wife used to have terrible migraines due to the chinooks, and chiro made a huge difference

Good luck!
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #39
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Has a chiro and acupuncture appointment this week. She's willing to try anything.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #40
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Vertigo is awful and can be completely debilitating. I had a bout a few years ago and the quack at the walk-in clinic waved it off as the flu. Hope it continues to improve.

So can you you microwave anything other than a burrito or is that your limit right now?
Why would anyone want to microwave something other than a burrito?

Been steadily improving, can do most things around the house now, dishes, cooking. Still won't drive, but maybe in a few weeks if things continue the same rate.

My family doctor disagreed with the vestibular therapist I saw about what I'm currently experiencing, which isn't really vertigo anymore but more a swimming or woozy feeling whenever I move my head at all.

So went to get a 2nd opinion from a different vestibular therapist and she agreed; I may have started out with BPPV but my current symptoms are due to some kind of injury or change, either damaged nerve or something. The signal levels from my inner ear to my brain have significantly changed. She showed me how moving my head and the signal to move my eyes lags.

She said my brain is learning the new signal input level and how much to move my eyes. I got some eye tracking/head movement exercises to do to help speed the process and they seem to be helping, so at least I feel like there's an end to this eventually.