Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #41
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #42
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

@ 10 mins in the first VS the canes, Stone was chasing down a puck and new he had a fore-checker right behind him. Stone turned slightly, lifted the stick and took the body ensuring the fore-checker couldn't play the puck. just a nice subtle but brilliant play.

I like the cut of his jib!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #43
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Unlike Jokipakka and Nasladal however Stone was good before coming to Calgary too. Rough season this year but he was a top four guy the previous years.

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
... that's a legit top 4. Really hope we make it work with the expansion draft.
I really hope Anderson is in the 3rd pairing next season.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #44
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hopefully the Flames can find a way to keep him next year, the bottom line is its clear that the change of environment from a god awful tire fire like Arizona to Calgary has been great for him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #45
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I really hope Anderson is in the 3rd pairing next season.
Man some people just can't wait to rush young players to the NHL eh?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #46
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
He'll be 21 come October. That's not really rushing it. Besides.. he says he hopes Andersson plays in the third pairing next year. He didn't say he wants Rasmus to play in the NHL next year no matter what, even if he shows he's not ready.

Think another year in the AHL will do him good, but there isn't anything wrong with his statement. A lot of assumptions to such a short post, FDW.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #47
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really happy with how he has looked so far. But I remember Michel Petit so let's see how he finishes out the year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #48
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man some people just can't stop coddling young Calgary Flames prospects just in case they don't pan out because they really can't take the heartbreak. He will be almost 21 with a full AHL season.

young players make an impact in the NHL all of the time ... just take a look at the defense for Carolina, Anaheim, Columbus, and probably more... but nope, let's just keep waiting on the prospects because that has definitely worked for the Flames in the past right?
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #49
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Stone continues to have the positive impact on Brodie that has begun to show up in the last few games, that alone makes this a genius move. Agreed more evidence needed, but early results are encouraging.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #50
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Small sample size but the team has looked better. Part of that IMO is because there's been four straight games where Wideman hasn't coughed up the puck at the opponent's blue line or been caught up ice.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #51
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like that he isn't afraid to shoot and actually gets pucks near the net. The more different threats you give the opposition to worry about, the more likely you are to force a mistake. With Wideman on that pairing all the other team had to do defensively was pressure his side and the worst they could expect from that is probably forcing a blocked shot.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #52
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Meh. Newly turned 21 is still pretty young and inexperienced for a defenceman. Hard position to break into and excel at at the NHL level. I love prospects stepping in as much as anyone but too many people hoping for guys who aren't ready often leads to dismay and hand wringing when they don't make it. Then you get the usual suspects whining that the Flames never give young prospects a chance. If people wanna hope for someone in particular next year I think Jankowski is a lot closer to the NHL than Andersson is. Where was Giordano at 21? Where was Brodie? It's no slight to Andersson to think he just isn't there yet. He hasn't even played an NHL game and people are hoping he'll be top 6?

A more likely scenario is that Andersson starts in the AHL but sees some time later in the season as an injury callup
Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #53
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Where was Giordano at 21? Where was Brodie?
Flame Top Four at 21
Brodie - 54 games
Giordano - 7 games
Hamilton - 72
Stone - 13

Certainly Rasmus seeing time at 21 can not be perceived as rushed.
Quote:
If people wanna hope for someone in particular next year I think Jankowski is a lot closer to the NHL than Andersson is
Different positions and discussion though certainly there is room for more then one rookie on our team. As the Flames develop the talent we have and lock that talent up to long term deals the more trusting we will have to be towards these young players.

Signing Engellend, who I like, to a big deal to patrol the bottom pairing just won't be feasible for much longer.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 02-27-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #54
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's not like he said if Andersson doesn't make it next year he's a bust. He said he hopes he can stick. Pretty reasonable to hope that a 21 year old touted prospect can stick....
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #55
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Quote:
Flame Top Four at 21
Brodie - 54 games
Giordano - 7 games
Hamilton - 72
Stone - 13

Certainly Rasmus seeing time at 21 can not be perceived as rushed.
Whether he's rushed or not is based on whether he's NHL ready. What makes you believe he's NHL ready next training camp? Especially given his fitness issues?

Hey I get hoping for prospects to make the team but I don't think we've seen anything from Andersson that suggests he'll win a top 6 role out of camp. There's plenty of other candidates who are more likely to win that role. And depending on the makeup of the defense there may not even be a spot open in the top 6 to win unless he absolutely blew everyone away.

just seems unlikely and unrealistic. I guess hope for it all you want
Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #56
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Andersson gets some NHL time next year but really it's unlikely for a d-man to crack the roster full time that early in his career. My guess is he gets 7-10 games next year as a call up for injury.

Carlo, Nutivaara, Hanifin, Werenski, and Provorov are the only d-men from that 2015 NHL draft to play in more than 10 NHL games this year.

Even if you look back to the 2014 draft only 6 d-men have played more than 10 games in the NHL this year (aka. Same age as Rasmus will be next season), and only 8 d-men from the 2013 draft have played more than 10 games this year.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-27-2017 at 01:34 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #57
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Whether he's rushed or not is based on whether he's NHL ready. What makes you believe he's NHL ready next training camp? Especially given his fitness issues?
No doubt the story of Andersson's training camp will be written by his summer. Hopefully his fitness has been addressed. We go on the basis that is has as fans and be positive I suppose.

Quote:
Hey I get hoping for prospects to make the team but I don't think we've seen anything from Andersson that suggests he'll win a top 6 role out of camp. There's plenty of other candidates who are more likely to win that role. And depending on the makeup of the defense there may not even be a spot open in the top 6 to win unless he absolutely blew everyone away.
Honestly think if you "haven't seen anything from Andersson that suggest he'll win a top six role" then you haven't been paying attention. He's gotten good reports out of Stockton all season.

A December article from The Hockey Writers as an example
http://thehockeywriters.com/rasmus-a...op-defenceman/
Quote:
A great fit for the Flames’ roster next year would be 2015 second-round prospect Rasmus Andersson. Andersson is a well-rounded defender currently playing with Calgary’s AHL affiliate Stockton, and could provide more stability to Calgary’s defence.
Quote:
To put up points in Junior is one thing, but to do it at a professional level is something else. Often enough Junior talents will be placed in the minors after their run in the CHL, but will never really end up adjusting. The same can’t be said for Rasmus Andersson.
Quote:
Now in his first AHL season, Andersson has arguably been Stockton’s number one defenceman. In 26 games, Andersson has two goals and 15 assists, making him the leading defensive scorer and giving him the most assists on the team.
Quote:
just seems unlikely and unrealistic. I guess hope for it all you want
Disagree.

In Stockton Rasmus sits 1st in points from defense and 2nd in plus/minus at +12. In AHL rookie scoring he's 9th from the blueline and 2nd in plus minus. That +12 puts him 19th in the entire AHL as well.

It's not unlikely or unrealistic to hope a 21 year old makes a team. Especially one who has put together as good of a year in Stockton as Andersson has. Which is all the original poster said by the way, hope. Such a small thing for you to wring your hands about.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #58
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Such a small thing for you to wring your hands about.
Rather ironic post given the length of your rebuttal.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #59
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stone has even a real nice surprise. Love his physical play in the defensive zone. Does an above average job sealing off the opponent along the boards and winning the puck. Decent skater.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:09 AM   #60
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Stone has even a real nice surprise. Love his physical play in the defensive zone. Does an above average job sealing off the opponent along the boards and winning the puck. Decent skater.
A real poor man's Regehr. Not as physical but cuts the gaps quickly and uses his body to separate the puck. Will probably take a few holding penalties as well since he does hold and interfere slightly quite a bit but seems to get away with it and knows where the line is.

Regehr is one of my Favorite Flame players ever so any comparison to him is high praise.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote