Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #21
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to go to the theatres at Southcentre all the time too! I also seem to remember theatres on the other side of MacLeod on Southport Road near the Superstore.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I used to go to the theatres at Southcentre all the time too! I also seem to remember theatres on the other side of MacLeod on Southport Road near the Superstore.
Yeah, there was a theater there too and then they were the cheap theaters and now I think they're a sushi restaurant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, there was a theater there too and then they were the cheap theaters and now I think they're a sushi restaurant.
I thought that the Southport theatres were kind of the low rent cheap theatres.

I still remember 2.50 Tuesdays.

And seeing the Rocky Horror Picture show in the theatre and coming out covered in wet newspaper toast and rice.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #24
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I watched them at SouthCentre.

Yes kids, thats right, there used to be theatres at SouthCentre, but they'd only let you in if you were wearing your onionskin belts which was the style at the time.
I thought I was the only one old enough to remember those belts. Classic reference
Old 02-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #25
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Lucas claimed the unedited films were lost or unsalvageable or some such unbelievable nonsense that allowed his monstrous refactoring to be the only thing available.

I think in retaliation for Lucas' lies they should release the Star Wars Holiday Special in BluRay. Or maybe not. Nobody really wins in that situation.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Actually there was a documentary a few years ago that showed how the original prints were pretty close to unusable they were dim and had surface markings.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #27
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Actually there was a documentary a few years ago that showed how the original prints were pretty close to unusable they were dim and had surface markings.

Of all the movies? That just seems unbelievable. I just don't buy that being the reason he couldn't release the unedited versions on BluRay.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:13 PM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Of all the movies? That just seems unbelievable. I just don't buy that being the reason he couldn't release the unedited versions on BluRay.
At one point I saw a comparison where they showed the ANH prints and they were barely distinguishable. They had mentioned that ESB wasn't in good shape either. Not sure about ROTJ.

It makes me wonder about the other classic prints that might be beyond savings and just not star wars movies.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:39 PM   #29
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
At one point I saw a comparison where they showed the ANH prints and they were barely distinguishable. They had mentioned that ESB wasn't in good shape either. Not sure about ROTJ.

It makes me wonder about the other classic prints that might be beyond savings and just not star wars movies.

Yeah. That's what I don't get. They were in good enough shape for the re-release with the edits? They must have must have copied / digitized them at some point in their unadulterated state prior to adding and modifying the scenes. If they were in such rough shape. How did he do the edits?

The fact that the original film is degraded shouldn't have any impact. His reasons for not releasing the unedited on DVD or BluRay wasn't because of the film's quality, it was that he thought his new cut was better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 04:41 AM   #30
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another interesting thing is that both Star Wars and Empire have been selected by the National Film Register for preservation however they are not actually stored in the register because George Lucas refused to send them the originals. He did offer to send in the Special Editions however the Register only accepts films for preservation in their original theatrical form.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It was fun going back to the theaters to see them for the 20th anniversary, even though they were the Special Editions. Weird that the Special Editions have almost been around longer than the originals.

Anyone else here line up at the North Hill Theatre to watch the Special Editions 20 years ago?
Yup!

I also remember Southcentre, I'm not sure why, but that is the one we ended up at when my mom would drive us into Calgary. Maybe because there was a Consumer Distributing there? Saw Batman and I think Flight of the Navigator there. My best memory of the place though is when we went there for the Nintendo Challenge with the big truck full of Super Mario, and you got 30 seconds to prove your worth. They also had the Pepsi Challenge there that day. Ah 'member berries.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #32
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah. That's what I don't get. They were in good enough shape for the re-release with the edits? They must have must have copied / digitized them at some point in their unadulterated state prior to adding and modifying the scenes. If they were in such rough shape. How did he do the edits?

The fact that the original film is degraded shouldn't have any impact. His reasons for not releasing the unedited on DVD or BluRay wasn't because of the film's quality, it was that he thought his new cut was better.
He can't actually believe the new cut is better. It's got to be an epic troll job.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
He can't actually believe the new cut is better. It's got to be an epic troll job.
Well, he did think that the new Indiana Jones was a nearly perfect piece of filmmaking...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #34
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The original theatricals were released in a special trilogy edition dvd set a number of years ago (I've got it). The release had 2 discs per movie, Disc 1 was the special editions and Disc 2 was the theatrical cut.

...that being said, if this is true - I'll definitely be buying the blu ray set.
I always heard these had not been released; been holding onto my laser disc copies for years and had no idea a good DVD was available.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #35
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I always heard these had not been released; been holding onto my laser disc copies for years and had no idea a good DVD was available.
I wouldn't call them a good DVD. They were presented as 4:3 but letterboxed with no 5.1 and they hadn't been remastered or even transferred to DVD very well, so they looked and sounded really bad.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Where the new cuts in my mind were better were the effects corrections where he could fix effects that didn't look good.

But things like the musical number, and some of the other plot changes like Han shoots first really over shadows those fixes.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #37
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I wouldn't call them a good DVD. They were presented as 4:3 but letterboxed with no 5.1 and they hadn't been remastered or even transferred to DVD very well, so they looked and sounded really bad.
But remastering would alter the presentation originally experienced in the theater!
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #38
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

throw the new dvd's into a machine and put them through the projector. I don't care. Just let me sit in front of a big screen with my kids and some popcorn so they can truly get a sense of the original trilogy.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #39
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
But remastering would alter the presentation originally experienced in the theater!
Haha ok fair enough but those DVDs of the original trilogy look like they were copied from an 8th generation VHS copy of the movies via a Sanyo VHS to DVD burner from the late 90s.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #40
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never seen the originals. It would be nice if there was an easy legal way to access them.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote