Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #41
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Wait.

The hell does this mean? I'm pretty sure literally every team in the league wants Gaudreau playing for them. The question is whether they want to give up the picks.

Honestly, if I'm... any team in the league basically, I'd send him a 5x7.5 flat offer sheet. If the Flames match, whatever, nothing ventured nothing gained and Johnny's probably happy either way. If they don't match, he's well worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Florida, the Jets or Anaheim should be jumping on it, particularly.
Lol, this is awesome.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #42
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I trust McKenzie but knowing what I know (what we all know) about Treliving, I have a very hard time believing they haven't spoken recently. I think Bob has bad info this time around.
When he cites Francis as a source, I would suggest he has no info this time around, which is not shocking as the Flames keep everything hush hush
Old 09-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #43
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Trade him. Arrogant bastard. 8mil my ass! Rather build CalgaryNext.
That AAV for taxpayers will be closer to $40mil
Old 09-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #44
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

6.4-6.7 is way too low I would be happy with 7.2-7.4
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #45
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would love to see who Sun's source is however the issue is 3 fold.
1. Not A Mod
2. Probably wouldn't give it to some random scrub like myself.
3. I would probably have no idea who it is.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #46
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Ya, things seem to be going according to plan.
Who's plan?
Old 09-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #47
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
6.4-6.7 is way too low I would be happy with 7.2-7.4
Johnny himself said he'd like to sign the same deal as Monahan. Why do you think worth a million dollars more than him?

His 14 extra points?
Old 09-27-2016, 06:12 PM   #48
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Trade him. Arrogant bastard. 8mil my ass! Rather build CalgaryNext.
Just like we should have traded that arrogant Giordano fellow when he asked for $9!

Come on man. It's posts like this that make people stay away from these threads. The season doesn't start for over two weeks. It's not the middle of November.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #49
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully they can meet somewhere in the middle soon. I personally don't mind Treliving waiting until the 11th hour if he can get him for under 7. We'll all be proclaiming him a wizard and that will do nothing but benefit the team long term.

But I will say this: if Treliving does bend and Gaudreau get's 8+, he damned well better be one of the best players in the league for that entire duration. That's a huge investment, and easily the biggest in Flames history. A history that includes players like Iginla, Macinnis, Fleury, etc. He's going to be paid like he's expected to be the best player in franchise history. The bar doesn't get much higher then that and he damned well better live up to that.

Not really impressed with both sides, but in particular Gaudreau's side. For someone who has been known to be humble, a team player and will do whatever it takes to win, his side sure looks pretty greedy right now.

I can totally understand the Flames owners' side of not wanting to set a new precedent when it comes to a player coming out of his ELC going into only his 3rd season pro and cashing in like that when he doesn't have the leverage. We all make fun of Lowe for what he did with Penner. I'm glad the owners in Calgary don't want that shame on their hands. It seems that every massive contract that gets signed 'sets the new precedent' and then suddenly every agent around thinks their client deserves that much. Be the change Johnny, BE THE CHANGE!!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 09-27-2016 at 06:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #50
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Johnny himself said he'd like to sign the same deal as Monahan.
When did he say that? If that were true, this would already be done.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #51
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish people would stop using the term "greed" to describe a person trying to get the best deal they can, like there's something unprincipled and selfish about it.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #52
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Hopefully they can meet somewhere in the middle soon. I personally don't mind Treliving waiting until the 11th hour if he can get him for under 7. We'll all be proclaiming him a wizard and that will do nothing but benefit the team long term.

But I will say this: if Treliving does bend and Gaudreau get's 8+, he damned well better be one of the best players in the league for that entire duration. That's a huge investment, and easily the biggest in Flames history. A history that includes players like Iginla, Macinnis, Fleury, etc. He's going to be paid like he's expected to be the best player in franchise history. The bar doesn't get much higher then that and he damned well better live up to that.

Not really impressed with both sides, but in particular Gaudreau's side. For someone who has been known to be humble, a team player and will do whatever it takes to win, his side sure looks pretty greedy right now.

I can totally understand the Flames owners' side of not wanting to set a new precedent when it comes to a player coming out of his ELC going into only his 3rd season pro and cashing in like that. It seems that every massive contract that gets signed 'sets the new precedents'. Be the change Johnny, BE THE CHANGE!!
Iginla got 7m when the cap was considerably lower.

Edit: what am I doing? Oiler fan telling you to calm down

Last edited by stang; 09-27-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #53
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Lol, this is awesome.
Yeah, so I'm not super familiar with the offer sheet rules given how rarely anyone gets offer sheeted. I always forget about the 5 year pro rating rule, too.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #54
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Iginla got 7m when the cap was considerably lower.
Iginla was also well on his way to being the best player in franchise history, one of the best players in the world, and was pretty much a guarantee for what he brought to the table.

Like I said, it's pretty a pretty high bar for Gaudreau if he cashes in like he wants. He has to live up to it.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #55
dakeyras
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
When did he say that? If that were true, this would already be done.
This was earlier in the summer, I believe. Well before Monahan signed.

Some reporter commented about how good of friends Gaudreau & Monahan were and how they were due for contracts at the same time. He then asked a question about their contract statuses and Gaudreau answered light-heartedly about wanting to get it done and he'd love it if they both signed the same contract. But with different agents and everything, it wouldn't happen.

To me, it was never really a consideration, just a casual answer to a question.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #56
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is true it's getting pretty apparent that this hold out is going to last into the season.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #57
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Iginla was also well on his way to being the best player in franchise history, one of the best players in the world, and was pretty much a guarantee for what he brought to the table.

Like I said, it's pretty a pretty high bar for Gaudreau if he cashes in like he wants. He has to live up to it.
You said it was the biggest contract in history, and he'd better be the best players in franchise history. Just saying that is not totally true
Old 09-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #58
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Gaudreau but $8M is flat out ridiculous. I think 7 is fair. I'd love to see it come in around Gio's 6.77 (which I know is a long shot) but I'll be disappointed if it's any more than 7.25.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Old 09-27-2016, 06:34 PM   #59
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakeyras View Post
This was earlier in the summer, I believe. Well before Monahan signed.

Some reporter commented about how good of friends Gaudreau & Monahan were and how they were due for contracts at the same time. He then asked a question about their contract statuses and Gaudreau answered light-heartedly about wanting to get it done and he'd love it if they both signed the same contract. But with different agents and everything, it wouldn't happen.

To me, it was never really a consideration, just a casual answer to a question.
He just meant it would be cool to sign each other's contracts, like yearbooks.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #60
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
You said it was the biggest contract in history, and he'd better be the best players in franchise history. Just saying that is not totally true
I'm just sad and want Johnny to sign
Closed Thread