Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
Say what you like about Russell's quality, but I've always thought he seemed like a decent honest bloke. Disappointed he seemed to get greedy and rejected the Leafs offer. I know he probably saw what other dmen signed and wanted something similar, but if a deal like that isn't on the table, seems silly to just sit and wait, just expecting a huge offer to drop in your lap.

Be very interesting to see where he ends up now.
Miss judging the market for your services does not = greedy.

This has got to be a tough thing for players, trying to figure out and maximize your value.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #22
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

With most of these situations I blame the agent. It's there job to know/understand the market. I don't know a single hockey person that believed Russell was going to get 6x5
Old 07-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #23
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Edmonton will get desperate and throw cash and term at him.
They have Lucic now and are pretty much only 11 months away from a cup, why spend the money?
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #24
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Or maybe he's expecting or demanding the Leafs and Nucks to overpay if they want his services.

If I was going to consider playing for those 2 teams, knowing you're never going to win with them, you may as well get paid.

Russell isn't stupid and it's not like there are really any UFA dmen that are left that are better than him.

I can see him willing to take 3.5-4 mil on a team that has a legitimate shot.

But if it's the Leafs, Oilers or Canucks, I'm wanting 5x5 minimum.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #25
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
If Petry is getting 5.5 not a stretch someone will pay Russell same given supply and demand.

What ? Take hero charts for what you will. Petry is light years ahead of Russell in his own end. Petry is actually a pretty solid guy that can stop cycles and possession time in your own end. Russell is HORRIBLE at getting the puck out of his own end.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #26
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Or maybe he's expecting or demanding the Leafs and Nucks to overpay if they want his services.

If I was going to consider playing for those 2 teams, knowing you're never going to win with them, you may as well get paid.

Russell isn't stupid and it's not like there are really any UFA dmen that are left that are better than him.

I can see him willing to take 3.5-4 mil on a team that has a legitimate shot.

But if it's the Leafs, Oilers or Canucks, I'm wanting 5x5 minimum.
I dunno, he is a 29 year old guy who was on waivers and in danger of being buried in the AHL 3 years ago. He was traded for a 5th to a lower end team where he got enough ice time to carve out a nice resume. I wouldn't turn down $4.25M with decent term on a team where I'm very likely to get second pairing minutes. If the gamble pays off then good for him but if it blows up in his face this is probably the only chance he has to get paid in his career. Bird in the hand.

Also, I like Russell but I'd take Petry over him any day.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #27
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't get too cocky Russell, you're not that good. The Stars not trying to bring him back tells you a lot.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #28
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russell is a better skater than Petry and has more offensive inclinations, but for actual defense, which the Oilers need, Petry is much much better. They could use him.

Oh wait, they had him already? Lol
Old 07-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #29
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If was looking for 6x5 he didn't overplay his hand, he was confused at what hand he even had.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #30
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure the Leafs offer was rejected based on dollars, could very well have been rejected because it was the Leafs. I think he signs a similar deal with a team that had a shot at the playoffs.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #31
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Miss judging the market for your services does not = greedy.

This has got to be a tough thing for players, trying to figure out and maximize your value.
Was gonna post a similar response. This should be the most important contract of his career, its not greedy to try to get the most he can, anyone would do it, especially if thats the advice his agent is giving.

That being said, there is obvious risk in turning down solid offers hoping for something better. Maybe with all the excessive money that was thrown around on Jul 1st they figured it would be easy to get what they want.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #32
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a number of respects it is like any of us interviewing for a number of job opportunities and then having a couple of companies come to the table with an offer. You have to decide to take the one that is there or hold out for the opening/salary that you want/need.

Tough choices!
Old 07-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #33
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

who is this guys agent?

how can the guy not accept that offer from the leafs wow
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to echo the sentiments about his agent. In what universe does Kris Russel believe he is a $5M+ defenceman?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #35
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Was gonna post a similar response. This should be the most important contract of his career, its not greedy to try to get the most he can, anyone would do it, especially if thats the advice his agent is giving.

That being said, there is obvious risk in turning down solid offers hoping for something better. Maybe with all the excessive money that was thrown around on Jul 1st they figured it would be easy to get what they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
In a number of respects it is like any of us interviewing for a number of job opportunities and then having a couple of companies come to the table with an offer. You have to decide to take the one that is there or hold out for the opening/salary that you want/need.

Tough choices!
Winning can also be a massive factor. Players have shown through the years if you win, they are more likely to take less money to play for you.

What would you want as a player?

4 years with the Leafs/Oilers for a $4m AAV
or
2-3 years with the Blues/Sharks/Pens for a $3m AAV

You would leave alot of money on the table but actually have a greater chance at winning.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #36
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
They have Lucic now and are pretty much only 11 months away from a cup, why spend the money?
11 months? Figure it'll take that long? With all the firepower and new found defense I'm predicting by the All-Star break Bettman will cancel the rest of the season and just award the cup to the Oilers.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #37
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russell just went through one rebuild in Calgary.

Him not signing in Toronto probably had more to do with him just not wanting to do that again.

(Also, maximizing contract value is the agents job, not the players job.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #38
JohnnyT
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Let's remember that Haggerty reported last week that the Bruins were going to offer sheet Trouba, even though due to the draft picks that Bruins hold the only possibly offer was one that included sending the Jets 4 first round picks.

Obviously there's still speculation about why Russell hasn't signed yet, but I would take that supposed Leafs numbers with a gigantic grain of salt
Old 07-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #39
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

His best chance at overpayment was July 1st and that has passed.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #40
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Let's remember that Haggerty reported last week that the Bruins were going to offer sheet Trouba, even though due to the draft picks that Bruins hold the only possibly offer was one that included sending the Jets 4 first round picks.

Obviously there's still speculation about why Russell hasn't signed yet, but I would take that supposed Leafs numbers with a gigantic grain of salt
Friedman sort of confirmed Haggerty's report, saying in his last 30 thoughts column that he believes Bruins management had discussions about that offer sheet.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote