Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #81
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

That's crazy! Some of the reasoning behind a 55 flex must be because of the length though. Like a 55 on a 5'9 stick wouldn't be the same as a 55 on a 6'4 stick would it? Or is that where the uncut part comes in?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #82
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I'm 5'3" and my whole life I've been buying senior sticks and cutting them in half... I should be buying the little sticks instead!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #83
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post

He's basically using the same flex as a PeeWee......maybe even novice.
Good plug here for the boys at Raven.

The above chart shows what happens when you cut a stick, instead of using one which is the correct height for the player.

Also, they are going to be on Dragons' Den on October 19...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #84
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
That's crazy! Some of the reasoning behind a 55 flex must be because of the length though. Like a 55 on a 5'9 stick wouldn't be the same as a 55 on a 6'4 stick would it? Or is that where the uncut part comes in?
The flex would be the same, but if you want a shot to load up a stick a similar distance on a shorter stick, you'll need to bend the stick more, and therefore a higher flex.

I'm 5'11, 215 and I play with an uncut 75 flex (it's about 2" shorter than an uncut 85") and I use it because it lets me be a lot more deceptive with my wrist shot since I barely need to put any weight on it to get it to load up. The slap shots suck, but for the kind of shinny I play, the opportunities for slap shots are minimal.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sworkhard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #85
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Well the other thing is that most people use too high a flex to begin with. Most people don't have the height/weight/muscle to use the same flex as NHLers, yet they frequently do.

For Johnny to use that type of flex, given his size, shouldn't be terribly surprising.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #86
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The level of flex of a stick is the same regardless of the stick length.
Ie. A 55 flex is a 55 flex, no matter how long or short it is MADE.
Once it is cut, it changes the flex, as per the chart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #87
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

For perspective, Zdeno Chara uses the stiffest shaft ever at 160 flex.

The most common flex among NHLers is by far in the 90-100 range, then the 100-110 range, followed by the 80-90 range. The 70-80 range is quickly becoming popular with forwards in today's game, but still lags behind those. Likewise, anything over 110 is typically used by stay-at-home defencemen.

The other difference is the lie. Most retail sticks are in the 5-6 range, while most NHLers are moving up, to the point 7 is the most common now (followed by 6). Not much space out there these days so can't have the puck way out wide.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #88
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworkhard View Post
The flex would be the same, but if you want a shot to load up a stick a similar distance on a shorter stick, you'll need to bend the stick more, and therefore a higher flex.

I'm 5'11, 215 and I play with an uncut 75 flex (it's about 2" shorter than an uncut 85") and I use it because it lets me be a lot more deceptive with my wrist shot since I barely need to put any weight on it to get it to load up. The slap shots suck, but for the kind of shinny I play, the opportunities for slap shots are minimal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
The level of flex of a stick is the same regardless of the stick length.
Ie. A 55 flex is a 55 flex, no matter how long or short it is MADE.
Once it is cut, it changes the flex, as per the chart.
Ah yes, I get it now. Yikes, based on what I've been buying and how much I've been cutting them, I've probably been running around with a 120 flex my whole life. No wonder I can't do anything with a puck and have to stick to street hockey lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #89
formulate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Good plug here for the boys at Raven.

The above chart shows what happens when you cut a stick, instead of using one which is the correct height for the player.

Also, they are going to be on Dragons' Den on October 19...
Bauer and CCM now both produce softer flex youth sticks (20, 25, 30, 35, 40 between the 2 brands). But yes it was Raven that originally addressed the problem of 40-60 pound kids using sticks way too stiff.
formulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #90
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well the other thing is that most people use too high a flex to begin with. Most people don't have the height/weight/muscle to use the same flex as NHLers, yet they frequently do.

For Johnny to use that type of flex, given his size, shouldn't be terribly surprising.
Why do you make that claim? On every men's league team I've played on we had everything from 70 flex to 110.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #91
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Why do you make that claim? On every men's league team I've played on we had everything from 70 flex to 110.
Broadly and generally speaking, people use a stick that is stiffer than would be optimal for their strength and skill level. But, if that's what a player is comfortable with, regardless of the level, then it is arguably the "right" flex, even if likely too stiff...
Old 09-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #92
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's a weird statement. NHLers are good hockey players not super strong athletes who are the only ones that can use a high flex stick. In any men's league I've played the guys have been pretty big and strong as well. Don't see the issue with using 70-110 flex. I'm not the biggest guy and I have no problem using a 100+ flex.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #93
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I started using an Easton aluminum again for laughs and nostalgia.

What a terrible stick. Good for slashing though...
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #94
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Broadly and generally speaking, people use a stick that is stiffer than would be optimal for their strength and skill level. But, if that's what a player is comfortable with, regardless of the level, then it is arguably the "right" flex, even if likely too stiff...
Again, where is this coming from? I've never seen evidence of that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #95
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You guys are all wussies is the only conclusion here.
Is that so...
"Detroit had a 'helluva hockey player' named Gordie Howe who played in that series. He was bigger than the average player in the league at that time, yet used a short stick. Some say he cut four to five inches off of the handle."
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #96
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

This board might be the wrong place to mention comment like that, since its members are hockey-mad people of whom quite a few most likely play on hockey teams themselves.

I think we was referring to people who (like me) just walk into a store and find a stick that looks cool and has a name on it that I like (P. Forsberg!), cut it down and then go play. Whether or not the casual hockey crowd represents "most" people or not is probably up for discussion though.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #97
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread is very interesting with all the hard vs soft, cut vs uncut, long vs short, big vs small discussions.....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #98
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #99
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Can we stop quoting that image of Wayne, that would be great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
So did Wayner

Which one? This one? You got it man!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #100
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
From what I've seen most people want to use a higher flex regardless of their size.

There was an article/video that said something similar but I can't find it now. Basically most people overestimate their size/strength and equate lower flex with being weak and unmanly.

Edit: the raven site explains the same idea, there is a link earlier in this very thread. I read/saw something almost identical but it was about flex for adults. Basically if you are 180lbs and you cut the stick you end up with flex quite a bit lower than what you bought. Now you should have a stick at 90 but you bought at 100 and cut it so it is more like 115 that is made for a player who is 230lbs.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-28-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote