Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #841
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Fair enough, I just don't see the incentive for Elliott to give Calgary a sweetheart deal at this point. If he puts up good a good season this year with 55+ starts he can probably do much better than 5 × 4.5m. I really think term will be key with him, I'd be shocked if he signed for 2 or 3 years.
If he plays 55 games and were all happy with him then sure, pay the man his money. It's more the extension talks that are already happening that worries me.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #842
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Elliott knows that there aren't many starting goalie jobs available, so having a contract as he heads into his 30s is probably ideal. He has roots in Calgary, so signing a deal for a few years in a city where he wants to stay and raise his family for a while (just had or is having his first child) would seem logical. Stability is sometimes better than getting the perfect pay day.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #843
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, I just don't see the incentive for Elliott to give Calgary a sweetheart deal at this point. If he puts up good a good season this year with 55+ starts he can probably do much better than 5 × 4.5m. I really think term will be key with him, I'd be shocked if he signed for 2 or 3 years.
At his age he could run the risk of being Kris Russelled in the open market.

He's a great goalie, but it's quickly becoming a very competitive position with a lot of good young goalies in most organizations.

Plus the expansion draft may have teams steering clear of signing a guy like Elliott so they don't lose a decent young goalie on their squad.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #844
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Darren Haynes‏ @DarrenWHaynes
No surprise Elliott reportedly in extension talks already. Body of work is there, .925 SV% since 2011-12 is second to Cory Schneider (.926).

Darren Haynes‏ @DarrenWHaynes
Top 5 in SV% since start of 2011-12 season (min 50 gm):
1. Schneider, .926
2. Elliott, .925
3. Talbot, .924
4. Rask, .924
5. Lundqvist, .923

This stat always comforts me. I think we have a beauty in Elliott.
I tend to agree with that but we also have to remember that playing for the Flames is an entirely different beast than he's enjoyed in St. Louis. This team is certainly not at the calibre that team has been at for the last 5 years. I hope he is all he's cracked up to be and think he will be a huge upgrade but you have to use caution. The Blues also moved him for a reason. If they were 100% sold on him there is no way he'd be a Flame now.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #845
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I tend to agree with that but we also have to remember that playing for the Flames is an entirely different beast than he's enjoyed in St. Louis. This team is certainly not at the calibre that team has been at for the last 5 years.

I hope he is all he's cracked up to be and think he will be a huge upgrade but you have to use caution. The Blues also moved him for a reason. If they were 100% sold on him there is no way he'd be a Flame now.
He asked them to look into trading him.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #846
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the other hand he has poor season and his value drops. Hopefully that wouldn't happen, but he is playing for a team that finished 5th last in 2015-16. So it's a significant risk.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:59 AM   #847
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
He asked them to look into trading him.
Did he? I hadn't heard that before.

Do you have a source for that? (Not saying I don't believe you)
Old 09-28-2016, 05:07 AM   #848
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
Did he? I hadn't heard that before.

Do you have a source for that? (Not saying I don't believe you)
Quote:
It appears that Brian Elliott didn't have a desire to be part of a 1A/1B tandem again, which is understandable considering that how he played in the playoffs and down the stretch would've solidified him as a starter on nearly any other team.
http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2016/...doug-armstrong

Doug Armstrong speaks of it in the video in the link.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #849
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oh, that's right. I remember watching that interview at the draft now. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #850
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd do 4 years x $5.25 and be quite happy.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #851
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 years $4.5M per
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #852
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames

Congrats to Brian and Amanda Elliott, who welcomed Owen Daniel Elliott into the world this morning! #BabyMoose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #853
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames

Congrats to Brian and Amanda Elliott, who welcomed Owen Daniel Elliott into the world this morning! #BabyMoose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Set those roots down. Excellent.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #854
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't rush an extension. Elliott was waiver material until he joined Ken Hitchock and his brilliant defensive system. He's never had success outside of it.
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #855
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Don't rush an extension. Elliott was waiver material until he joined Ken Hitchock and his brilliant defensive system. He's never had success outside of it.
On the other hand, if he puts up another great season, we're probably looking at a $6m+ cap hit. We can probably sign him now for 4m-5m.

It all depends on what the Flames view Elliott's floor as. If they think at the very worst he will be 'average', they should try to get him signed now because he's already shown what his upside is.

The thing is the Flames just need him to be 'good'... being great would just be gravy.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #856
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Had a couple average seasons at 23/24 (his rookie and sophomore year), a bad season at 25, and has been fantastic ever since.

Pretty damn good for a 9th round draft pick.

Safe to say Hitchcock and Elliott benefitted each other, since CBJ weren't all that good at keeping the puck out of the net during the last few years Hitch was there.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #857
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If there's any position where you shouldn't judge a player based on their first couple years, it's goalies. Very rarely does a young goaltender come in and is lights out early on and stays that way. Andrew Raycroft, Steve Mason, are just a couple who fizzled out. On the other end, there is a litany of goaltenders who struggled early and became elite.

In Elliot's first 3 years of > 30 games started he had a GAA of 2.84 and Sv% of .902. Using the same criteria, Carey Price is 2.72 and .912. Not saying Elliot is as elite as Price but goalies take awhile to come into their own.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #858
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm in the sign him now camp. Especially when you look at what top-flight goalie are going for these days.

Imo, we got the best deal imaginable:

-Has clearly taken the step up to strong NHL starter
-Showed glimpses of being a top end NHL goalie, coming off a strong playoffs
-Politely stated he feels he's a starter and doesn't want to be a tandem
-Blues see this as a chance to get something for him and avoid a goalie issue going forward

Imo, we've got a star goalie out of patience on Brad Treliving's part and timing. If you consider that a decent starter in this league now gets $4-5mil and great starters get $6+ and there's a chance that he's willing to sign in that $4-5 range, you do it in a heart beat.

You have to think he's proven to be worth at least that much as a decent/strong starter. What I believe will get proven this season is that he's a top flight goalie, and I strongly believe a negotiation next off season is going to be similar to a Ben Bishop negotiation.

The Flames have everything to gain and nothing to lose by locking him in early, and a lot to lose by waiting. It appears Elliot is gung ho to sign now, so you jump all over that, imo.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #859
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree. Elliott's price can only go up IMO.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #860
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I agree. Elliott's price can only go up IMO.
Dunno about that. Hiller's career save percentage before last season was .918 and we all know where he's playing now.

Goalies are an unpredictable bunch. Add that uncertainty to a goalie coming from one of the most defensive coaches in the NHL, and I think it's a gamble to extend him before seeing what he can do. I'd rather pay a guy what he's worth than sign him now and risk overpaying for past performance.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote