Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon57 September 28, 2016

Sorry, I missed yesterday.

Flames new backup shines in pre-season victory over Jets

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...tory-over-jets

Quote:
Because of the World Cup of Hockey, there is no National Hockey League veteran requirement this pre-season.
Meaning that the Calgary Flames were able to field a very rookie/prospect-laden lineup on Tuesday night in Winnipeg — their second exhibition clash of the season — in order to get another look at the talent they have available for their main roster and minor league clubs (AHL/Stockton and ECHL/Adirondack).
But Chad Johnson, the resident greybeard and Calgary Flames’ new backup netminder signed during free-agency, is no rookie.
Turns out, his two periods of work set the tone for everyone involved in the Flames’ 3-0 win over the Jets, who iced a decent lineup in their first pre-season clash of the 2016-17 campaign.
While the kids in front — particularly their defence — made mistakes, got a little too overzealous, and probably took a few more penalties than anyone would have liked but still managed to score three goals, Johnson kept calm.
Like an NHLer should.
“It’s nice to get that intensity and focus back,” Johnson said. “Summer hockey is not the same. It was still scrambly at times but it’s nice to get in the game and get that flow. It felt good at the start but it was a different feel from a regular-season game.”
Quote:
“He was very good tonight,” said defender Brett Kulak, who scored twice. “I thought his decisions with the puck were really good. It really helps when you’re confident in your goalie behind you and you can take those extra risks and pressure the other teams’ forwards a little more.
“It’s a good peace of mind to have a good goalie behind you.”
It’s early, but that tidy goals against average is just what Calgary needs from Johnson this season.
And, oh boy, doesn’t new head coach Glen Gulutzan know it.
“I thought he was real good,” he said. “It wasn’t a 3-0 game, he made some really big saves to keep us in it … when you get that kind of goaltending, your team kind of grows throughout the game.
“With the goalies on, it gives them some more confidence. We certainly took some of that energy that he gave us and it helped us.”
Quote:
But his best sequence of the night was when he turned aside Michael Spacek and then rolled over on his side to the opposite side of the net to shut-down Andrew Copp, who’d been fed a wrap-around pass by Spacek.
Almost immediately, the save was turned into a GIF — the modern-day version of a highlight-reel play.
“The first period I didn’t know where I was and was a little confused, the second period, I felt good in my game in my positioning,” Johnson said. “I don’t like being out of position. I do that probably more than I’d like to. But sometimes you just have to jump over there.
“I’m happy with it. If I didn’t stop it, it would have been a goal so it always feels good.”
Flames Notebook: Second-year rookie healthy (finally); consistency key for rookie D

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...y-for-rookie-d

Quote:
Hold your breath.
Ryan Culkin is finally healthy.
“I’ve definitely gone to church and said a few prayers. Knocked on wood,” joked the 22-year-old, a 2012 draft pick of the Calgary Flames. “But hopefully I’ll be able to show what I can do with a full season under my belt.”
It’s been a frustrating couple of winters for the Montreal native who has dealt with two major injuries and undergone two major surgeries.
After turning pro in 2014-15, following his final season in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Culkin was humming along in the American Hockey League when he suffered a freak injury in February of 2015, slicing tendons in his left wrist.
Quote:
“It was pretty funny,” said Culkin, who made his pre-season debut on Tuesday night in Winnipeg. “When I injured my left wrist, I was only working out my right arm. And then when I injured my right shoulder, I could only work out my left arm.”
He can joke about it now.
But this time last year, it was hardly a laughing matter.
Quote:
He also wants to push for a spot on the Calgary Flames roster.
Yes, the big club. Why not?
“I kind of feel like I’m a bit of an underdog right now,” said Culkin, who played on Calgary’s split-squad roster in Edmonton. “I’m a bit under the radar.
“Despite my two seasons, no one really knows what to expect. I know what I’m capable of. I’d love to be one of the first call-ups but you don’t want to come to camp thinking that.
“You want to say, ‘You know what? Why can’t I make the team this year?’ I know I’m capable of doing it, I just have to show it on the ice. I’m looking forward to these games we have coming up and I want to show what I can do.”
Quote:
Last season, Brett Kulak had a solid rookie camp which led right into his performance at the Young Stars Classic Tournament in Penticton, B.C.
That put him on the right foot for main camp. And, with one defence spot open as the 2015-16 NHL season got underway, Kulak was still standing as the Flames’ seventh blue-liner.
Sure, the 22-year-old Edmonton native only played eight games before he was dispatched to the Stockton Heat on Oct. 23, 2015.
But his story is proof that anything can happen at this time of the year.
“You take one day off and that could be the difference if you go or if you stay,” Kulak said of the experience last fall. “Then, when the regular season starts, it’s knowing I can play at this level. I know I can play in this league. I think that’s what’s different for me this year; I’m a lot more mature in that area and I know I can play with these guys.
“I’m a little stronger and faster. I’m more confident out there.”
Quote:
Looking back, he sees equal parts of confidence and a lack of confidence in his game.
Lesson learned? Consistency is key.
“I came in and, at times, I was feeling great. And, at times, I was feeling overwhelmed,” Kulak said. “When I came back for those two games at the end of the season, I felt great and now I feel ready to play at this level.
“Coming in this year, that experience was huge for me.”
Meet the Flames: Chad Johnson

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...s-chad-johnson

Quote:
1. What was your favourite Olympic performance of the summer?

“The swimming was really amazing, I was trying to watch all of Michael Phelps’ races. That was pretty exciting. He’ll be remembered in history so you want to be able to say you were there watching him. How dominating someone can be. Even (Usain) Bolt in running, just how he’s that much better than everyone else. The time difference isn’t even that much. For someone to be just that much better than everyone else … the Canadian swimmer too, Penny Oleksiak. That was amazing. There were so many amazing things that happened.” 

Quote:
2. If you could compete in the Olympics, what would be your sport?

“I like badminton, to be honest. I used to play badminton in high school in Calgary. I was, like, the city champ in junior high for like two years in doubles. I just love it. It’s a quick sport. You have to have really good hand-eye (co-ordination). Or swimming, too. I think everyone wants to see how they could do, even thought I’m not a very good swimmer.”
Chris Higgins and Lauri Korpikoski among seasoned NHLers on PTO with Flame

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/26...pto-with-flame

Quote:
Chris Higgins had a few bites this summer.
But there was nothing as appealing as playing in the Western Conference, close to his off-season home in West Vancouver where his young daughter and wife will stay this season.
“This was an ideal fit for me,” the 32-year-old New York native said of the professional tryout offer from the Calgary Flames.
Higgins understands the situation he is in.
Nothing is guaranteed. Nothing is certain. Nothing is set in stone.
And there is only one way for him to change that.
“I’ll have to play well in the games,” Higgins said. “Everyone kind of feels like they’re pulling a U-Haul around on the ice ... but I think I’m ready to play. In the past, I’ve just used (pre-season) as opportunities to get into shape and tried to get a game-sense of how fast things move on the ice.
“I’m going to have to approach it differently in the first game I play. I’m going to have to put it a little more on the line, for sure.”
Quote:
Korpikoski also played in Edmonton on Monday night, starting on a line with Mark Jankowski and Matt Frattin.
The 30-year-old has already skated in meaningful games, suiting up for Finland at the World Cup.
“It was a good thing to be a part of and certainly helps coming into camp here,” said Korpikoski, who has a connection with Flames general manager Brad Treliving from their time in Phoenix. “I’ve played six games already and kind of have the rust out of me and have the pace up so, yeah, it definitely helped. I feel good on the ice.”
The Flames are Korpikoski’s fourth NHL team after spending one season with the Edmonton Oilers, where he scored 10 goals and had 12 assists in 71 games.
With open spots up for grabs among the Flames’ forward group, the pre-season will be the PTOs’ time to shine.
“Games are what they’re looking at,” Korpikoski said. “You can work on your habits and push the pace in practice. But, at the end of the day, you have to show you belong and find a role and deliver.
“I’m looking forward to getting some games in.”
Chiasson hoping to ignite under Gulutzan

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/chia...an/c-282203644

Quote:
A familiar face is always comforting.
And at this stage, there's probably none more comforting to Alex Chiasson than Calgary Flames head coach Glen Gulutzan.
It's under the man affectionately referred to as 'Gully' that the man affectionately known as 'Chaser' had the most promising stretch of the 25-year-old's young career.
"It's huge," Chiasson started.
"At the same time I know from talking to him that things aren't going to be handed to me, also. He knows I'm capable of being successful and in what position, whether it's 5-on-5 or power play … in those types of positions.
"I think it's going to be up to me, when that opportunity comes, to show what I'm capable of doing. I know it's really important for a player to gain the trust of the coaching staff, and also the coaching staff to trust the player."
Quote:
After being they key piece acquired by the Ottawa Senators in a trade that sent longtime franchise face Jason Spezza the other way, Chiasson struggled.
Under expectations.
Under pressure.
"No question. No question," Gulutzan said. "Then add a Canadian market to it. That puts some heat on a young guy. For sure, it does. It comes into play.
"We've had a couple chats. We've had chats when he was in Ottawa. I know some of the background, and some of what he thinks.
"I think we can get Alex to a real good spot."
Quote:
"I think I've got a lot to prove," he said. "Obviously things didn't work out so well in Ottawa. It's nothing bad against the organization and whatnot, but it just didn't fit, the style I played. Hopefully coming back here in the West with a new team and a fresh start … sometimes it's something that can be really good for a player.
"Hopefully I can go back to being more of a power forward and be successful around the net. I think from my early years, that's where I seemed to be successful. I feel like the style of play that Glen uses … I played for him in Dallas my first year … I know he's going to be asking a lot of me.
"For me it's just to go back to those things that made me successful … to be a presence around the net and on the forecheck and use my shot as much as I can as well."
Pre-season of utmost importance for Hathaway

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/pre-...ay/c-282172190

Quote:
Garnet Hathaway doesn't ease himself into anything.
The 24-year-old Kennebunkport, ME product regularly operates on a high-octane, pedal-to-the-metal level that would leave most people breathless. There is no testing the waters. There is no getting acclimatized to situations. It's full-throttle, right from the get-go.
He showed that when he stepped into the lineup late last season and didn't tip-toe around any opponent. He threw himself into every shift, even getting under the skin of San Jose Sharks defenceman Brent Burns and pushing the hulking rearguard to drop the gloves to the delight of the 19,000+ at the Scotiabank Saddledome that evening.
And the 2016 pre-season? He is approaching it no differently than anything else he tackles.
"I have to show them I can be here for a whole 82-game season. I have to win a job right now," he asserted. "I'm ready for that. And that's what I have to show management and the coaches. I have to show that day-in and day-out, I can be here and I'm bringing everything I can to pre-season games and training camp."
Quote:
The transition to the National Hockey League? An even greater chasm.
"Getting some games last year was unbelievable and I had to work really hard for that but coming into camp, it's a battle," Hathaway noted. "There's a lot of internal competition. I've got to be ready every day and show them I can play in this league on a nightly basis.
"The one main thing for me is being consistent. Playing 14 games, getting a taste of that, you really learn what it's like in this league. You always have to be ready. Being ready to go for an 82-game season is the most important thing."
Bouma aiming for strong pre-season

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/boum...on/c-282170552

Quote:
If it were possible, Lance Bouma would wipe the 2015-16 season from his memory.
Expectations for the winger were high after he posted a career-high 16 goals and 34 points the year prior but his season was derailed by a multitude of injuries throughout the course of the 2015-16 campaign.
In total, he would dress for 44 games last year, scoring just two goals and seven points.
"Last year, was a disappointing year. A frustrating year all around," the 26-year-old said. "It's nice to put it behind me and have a fresh start. I'm looking forward to the start of this season for sure."
Quote:
Given the circumstances and how last season went, Bouma's mindset heading into this year's slate of exhibition skates is a bit different than years prior.
"You want to get back into game shape as quickly as possible. I'm using (the pre-season) as gearing up for the regular season," he explained. "Last year was disappointing so this pre-season is really big for me."
Flames trio showing signs of early chemistry

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...ry/c-282166090

Quote:
They might not hit and hold the high C's like Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras quite yet but, hey, Monday was their first rehearsal with something resembling the full orchestra.

The Three Tremors line -- left to right: Matthew Tkachuk, Sam Bennett and Troy Brouwer -- is already showing signs of being able to set shifts, periods and whole games to their particular brand of push-the-boundaries music.

"I lost count of the chances,'' lamented Bennett of one of those everything-but full-on assault third periods in the split-squad exhibition opener at the Scotiabank Saddledome.
"There were so many of them. I can't believe I didn't bury a couple of mine.
"They're both so much fun to play with, those guys. Chuckie works so hard and Brouw's so smart.
"I felt the chemistry.
"I showed out there.
"I don't think I'm … surprised by that, exactly. But encouraged? Definitely. I'm happy at how easy it was to play with them.
"We got a lot of good looks tonight."
Quote:
And the teenager on the port side did his bit too, injecting a nice amount of anarchy into proceedings. The Flames' top draft pick of a few months ago seemed a bit nervous early, but waded into the dangerous areas of the ice with unabashed glee, doing everything but pay a mortgage for space at the tip of the Oiler blue paint.

"Anarchy …" Brouwer considered the description a moment. "That's a good word for it. I would not have picked that, but I like that.

"He was a good spark for us. He was in on the forecheck. He took that penalty early on but that was only because he was hungry on the forecheck. That's going to happen,

"You're OK with him taking those types of penalties.

"He was feisty in and around the net. Got in a couple scrums, a scrap at the end. I thought he did a lot of really good things.

"He's still learning the game, the speed of the game and it'll come."

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Three Tremors...
Awesome name.
Hoping to see that trio on the opening night roster. I guess we'll need to wait and see how things shake out.
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stajan not shy to lend hand to Jankowski

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/staj...ki/c-282206910

Quote:
Funny, suggested Matt Stajan, how things always seem to circle back.
A fresh-faced Mark Jankowski can remember a time when his family would pile in the car and head down to the Air Canada Centre to watch the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Among those the budding minor hockey star would key in on?
Stajan.
The one helping Jankowski through his first training camp experience with the Calgary Flames.
"Once you're over 30, you start getting to that age where you're playing with kids that watched you growing up," Stajan said. "It's weird to be in that position. It's gone by so fast. That's the reality.
"I grew up watching the Toronto Maple Leafs because I grew up in Mississauga, and Doug Gilmour was my favorite. My first game he was on the team and was injured. That's part of the reason I got a shot. He came up to me in the room.
"That meant the world to me.
"You'll look back at the guys you played with when it's all done, but it does come full circle."
Quote:
"I got to see him a lot," said Jankowski, still fresh-faced at 22.
"He's been good with all the young guys … just talking to us about the city and the organization and everything. I think he's been a big help.
"He's a great player, so when I'm on the ice in practice I'm looking at him to see what he's doing and all those little habits that a centre in the NHL has to have."
Quote:
"I was very fortunate … I got to room with Joe Nieuwendyk my whole first year," started Stajan. "That was unbelievable.
"For Janko . ..I'm not Joe Nieuwendyk or a Hall-of-Famer … but I'm trying to help him off the ice and get him more comfortable and help him learn to be a pro.
"You come in with your eyes wide open and not knowing what to expect. You're the top dog, usually, on your previous team, and you're coming in to play with all these pro hockey players, NHLers … you're wide-eyed.
"You just want them to be comfortable and know that they're that close to being here."
Quote:
Jankowski, based on Stajan's scouting report, seems to be right on track.
"He's impressed me a lot," Stajan said. "He's come in early. He's trained with us most of the summer. I've skated with him. He's a smart player and he's big. He's going to keep growing into his body.
"And he's a good kid. That's the main asset he has going for him as well. We'll see what happens with his career, but I think good things are to come. I think it's great for this organization that, for some reason, some weren't expecting much.
"I would like to differ. He's going to be a player.
"With more and more experience, I have no doubt in my mind he's going to be an NHL player for a long time."

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Very appreciative of these news round-ups with actual hockey news. I no longer have to anticipate major plot twists in the sock discussion thread.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"I was very fortunate … I got to room with Joe Nieuwendyk my whole first year," started Stajan. "That was unbelievable.
"For Janko . ..I'm not Joe Nieuwendyk or a Hall-of-Famer … but I'm trying to help him off the ice and get him more comfortable and help him learn to be a pro.
"You come in with your eyes wide open and not knowing what to expect. You're the top dog, usually, on your previous team, and you're coming in to play with all these pro hockey players, NHLers … you're wide-eyed.
"You just want them to be comfortable and know that they're that close to being here."
Stajan may not be Nieuwendyk, but he seems to have forgotten that Jankowski will be
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will there be a round of cuts today?
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
Next game is Friday, so I would think some cuts will be coming later today or maybe tomorrow morning.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Disco_Stu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
In yesterday's post game video on the Flames app they said that would be making a round of cuts today. Something along the lines of 15 players or something like that.
Disco_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disco_Stu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wish we didn't have to cut anyone so no ones feelings get hurt.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Excellent, bring on the cuts.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote