Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #121
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 104 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Allos, Alpine Fisher, AltaGuy, Anduril, Art Vandelay, Bandwagon In Flames, BeltlineFan, BigT112, BlAcKNoVa, BloodFetish, Brad Marsh, btimbit, bubbsy, Burner, Burninator, burn_this_city, Calgary Highlander, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybean, calgaryblood, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, cam_wmh, Cecil Terwilliger, Cheese, Chonger, christoph186, Clarkey, Coach, Cole436, ColoradoFlamesFan, corporatejay, CorsiHockeyLeague, crapshoot, CroFlames, CrunchBite, CsInMyBlood, DaQwiz, dash_pinched, Demaeon, devo22, dino7c, djsFlames, DownhillGoat, drewtastic, dsavillian, Erick Estrada, FacePaint, FanIn80, FBI, Flamescat, FLAMESRULE, flizzenflozz, Frank MetaMusil, Funkhouser, getbak, HockeyKhan, Huntingwhale, IliketoPuck, Isikiz, jammies, JohnnyTitan, jschick88, lambeburger, Lil Pedro, Mazrim, mile, MrMastodonFarm, N-E-B, normtwofinger, northcrunk, Number 39, OBCT, OldDutch, PaperBagger'14, Peanut, Pierre "Monster" McGuire, Reaper, Redliner, Regular_John, Regulator75, Resolute 14, RougeUnderoos, Rubber Ducky, Ruttiger, sec304, Sgrath, Slacker, SnipeShow, socalwingfan, SOMBRI2, Super-Rye, Table 5, TBone290, Textcritic, The Hendog, Titan, TomLeeMC, topfiverecords, Traditional_Ale, tvp2003, vennegoor of hesselink, Vinny01, Wedge
Old 09-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #122
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
*facepalm* So all of that to avoid having the distinction of NW, SW, etc. just to do it in the end? Oh Edmonton, you're such a clusterfata.
They admit it's a clusterfata - http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/05/0...what-confusing

Spoiler for size, but just look at this map of southeast Edmonton and you'll see roads with labelled NW, SW, and roads without a directional indication. The freeway is labelled southeast which is the divider between the NW and SW addresses.

It's a miracle that Taylor Hall found his way out of the city actually.

Spoiler!
Old 09-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #123
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

the only dumb thing about the street network in edmonton is that they didn't use the henday boundaries as the center of the system. everything south of the henday should be south, everything else north, same thing with east and west.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #124
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I sorta go back and forth on this.

Katz Junior still just a kid. Feel bad about riffing on a chubby ginger who's a hockey fan and has a dad who just happens to own a NHL team.

I admit to the Danny Bonaduce riffs.

But then I see he's actually involved in the franchise hockey operations and I have to shake my head.

But I guess the NHL has had their Stafford Smythes, Rocky Wirtzes, myriad Molson and Norris scions and whatnot.

Most of them stuck to just being heirs.

But hey, Oilers have to Oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #125
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we get to add Ralph Kruger to the list of people that are better after leaving the oilers. His work with team Europe is fantastic.

The resurrection of careers is one of my favourite sub plots of how terrible the oilers are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 10:55 PM   #126
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
the only dumb thing about the street network in edmonton is that they didn't use the henday boundaries as the center of the system. everything south of the henday should be south, everything else north, same thing with east and west.
Huh? The Henday is a ring road. Basically the entire city is south of the northern leg of the ring road. Everything East of the East leg is Sherwood Park etc...
Old 09-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #127
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
Huh? The Henday is a ring road. Basically the entire city is south of the northern leg of the ring road. Everything East of the East leg is Sherwood Park etc...
Some NW addresses are south of the southern leg (4 o'clock to 8 o'clock) of the Henday. Ellerslie Road is the 0 ave iirc. Absolutely dumb. Those addresses should be SW in my opinion.

Also, nobody has properly figured out how to call out a location on the Henday yet. I'm partial to clockwise/counterclockwise at x o'clock, but people still insist on saying southbound/northbound at whatever street/ave.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:34 PM   #128
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
That mascot has resting b!%ch face!
You have resting Bitch face! Bitch face!

Yeah! Not covered by the filter! Bitch!

I'm done now. I'm sorry.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 AM   #129
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some NW addresses are south of the southern leg (4 o'clock to 8 o'clock) of the Henday. Ellerslie Road is the 0 ave iirc. Absolutely dumb. Those addresses should be SW in my opinion.

Also, nobody has properly figured out how to call out a location on the Henday yet. I'm partial to clockwise/counterclockwise at x o'clock, but people still insist on saying southbound/northbound at whatever street/ave.
And this is the result of that no good road system, because I seriously have no idea what the #### you're talking about.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:27 AM   #130
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

A New Lowe worked so well on a couple levels. For one, Lowe's number with the Oilers was 4, so nice synergy there, plus it can't work again with any other number. So really it has to be the 4th iteration of the thread or it can't ever be used. For another, Lowe is the biggest reason they are in this current mess, so even if he's been gone a while now he's still the biggest reason for Edmonton being no good. We can always dishonor him, it doesn't get old or dated to me.

We'll need a new thread in about 6 months anyway, so New Rink Same Stink can still work then, and might even work better because we could already have a jersey toss, unlike now. But thread number 4 mocking the Oilers most famous number 4 (sorry Taylor), who is the crucial reason we even have 4 E=NG threads just fits too well.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:50 AM   #131
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

about 95% of the addresses in Edmonton are NW - its the dumbest thing ever, they should split the city into quadrants using a few of the major routes (Calgary Trail/Gateway for splitting between East and West and Whitemud for splitting North and South) but it will never happen and they constantly brag about how much sense their road systems make.

Anyways, I don't want to debate their No Good road systems anymore,
Dumpster Cat and Ralph Krueger publically ripping them are much more fun to pile on with.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #132
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
A New Lowe worked so well on a couple levels. For one, Lowe's number with the Oilers was 4, so nice synergy there, plus it can't work again with any other number. So really it has to be the 4th iteration of the thread or it can't ever be used. For another, Lowe is the biggest reason they are in this current mess, so even if he's been gone a while now he's still the biggest reason for Edmonton being no good. We can always dishonor him, it doesn't get old or dated to me.

We'll need a new thread in about 6 months anyway, so New Rink Same Stink can still work then, and might even work better because we could already have a jersey toss, unlike now. But thread number 4 mocking the Oilers most famous number 4 (sorry Taylor), who is the crucial reason we even have 4 E=NG threads just fits too well.
Much like Oilers fans you are living in the past, the name has changed, and its not changing back.

AND ummmmm, I think we know a little something about renaming threads if that was ever a concern. We don't need to hear Tier 2 suggestions like this
Old 09-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #133
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The cost of re-centring Edmonton into a proper quadrant system would be prohibitive. Literally every building would have to be re-addressed. They are stuck now doing the best they can with a century old lack of foresight.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #134
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

Except it was "A New Lowe". What about this whole thing is new? Nothing. They have had the same amount of suckage for a decade now. "New Rink Same Stink" is much more appropriate in that sense.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #135
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The cost of re-centring Edmonton into a proper quadrant system would be prohibitive. Literally every building would have to be re-addressed. They are stuck now doing the best they can with a century old lack of foresight.
for sure, I wasn't suggesting they actually re-centre it more so If I ask someone what area of the city they are in all I ever hear is "West, North, South or East" - which really doesn't help much at all - No Good
Old 09-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #136
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
And this is the result of that no good road system, because I seriously have no idea what the #### you're talking about.
It's a ring road... kinda the opposite of "no good". Calgary has one, too. For example, Stoney Trail intersects with Country Hills Blvd twice so the same confusion could potentially arise if you don't specify.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #137
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
for sure, I wasn't suggesting they actually re-centre it more so If I ask someone what area of the city they are in all I ever hear is "West, North, South or East" - which really doesn't help much at all - No Good
and how many cities actually use Calgary's quadrant grid system?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #138
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton is no good at many things and this city is a dump. But the street numbering system is kinda not something that has ever mattered. Let's talk about sweatpants or something.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #139
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Atlanta and Portland have quadrant systems, probably many more.

Portland has 6:

Last edited by troutman; 09-28-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #140
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Edmonton is no good at many things and this city is a dump. But the street numbering system is kinda not something that has ever mattered. Let's talk about sweatpants or something.
lol, if you don't like it...leave
Closed Thread