Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #261
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tre has done a great job addressing most needs and more importantly, managing the cap effectively.

Look to the North, that team is in big trouble because of many reasons but the most glaringly obvious one is going to be lack of cap space with limited talent under contract.

Yes hiring GG was a terrible decision, was a step backwards in development for many players due to terrible systems and tactics.

Hopefully peters is better.

Goaltending is still an issue and Tre's patience with Smith and the 3 main goalies developing in the system may be what eventually is either his demise or a winning bet and builds his legacy. If it all falls apart, then that is on him because really, peters doesnt have much impact on the goalies, and Tre didnt get the right players to stop teh puck for us.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #262
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The playoffs are a low bar for success considering up until this season, 8 of 14 teams make it, and it’s still more than 50% now.

So yeah good GM’s can build playoff teams. He didn’t inherit a team in cap trouble or any other major problem.

So it’s been a great off season and looking forward to results that follow.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #263
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
As they should.

Of course hiring the right coach is a huge part of the job, but other than that it's constructing the now and building the future.

If a GM does that right you likely have a good GM.
I have to disagree with that. Fans can't be expected to have a professional level of knowledge about the team needs, players, contract negotiations and who's available in the market. Without that, who can say if the GM is doing it right or not in the moment?

Judging on team results is fair though. You don't need to be a professional to assess whether or not the team is winning and playing better hockey than other teams in the league. Ultimately, how much the deals make sense to the average fan is not a good basis for judging the deals. How reliably the deals deliver results is a good basis.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #264
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I have to disagree with that. Fans can't be expected to have a professional level of knowledge about the team needs, players, contract negotiations and who's available in the market. Without that, who can say if the GM is doing it right or not in the moment?

Judging on team results is fair though. You don't need to be a professional to assess whether or not the team is winning and playing better hockey than other teams in the league. Ultimately, how much the deals make sense to the average fan is not a good basis for judging the deals. How reliably the deals deliver results is a good basis.
But the project of managing a NHL franchise to championship success is more often than not years in the making. It is entirely possible that Treliving’s value as a GM is not realized until after he has been on the job for a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:00 AM   #265
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But the project of managing a NHL franchise to championship success is more often than not years in the making. It is entirely possible that Treliving’s value as a GM is not realized until after he has been on the job for a decade.
Results aren't just championships. Results of individual decisions can be judged too. The Gulutzan hire is an example of that, just as changes that delivered positive results are. Ultimately though, it's the team success that matters by far the most. Little else matters for a GM in the end. Nonetheless, I agree that the question of how long it should be considered acceptable for a team to suck under a GM is open. How long is it acceptable for team performance to suck?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:12 AM   #266
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely. But there should be signs of progress at some point.

So far Treliving has not pushed us up the standings at all. I fully expect it to happen next season. But I also fully expect him to be fired if we miss the playoffs again, regardless of how the fans feel about it
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #267
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can’t take a short term view with a GM but the timeline for building a strong organization is less than a decade IMO. Maybe what you’re saying is you keep a GM around long enough so they can learn from their mistakes and improve on the job.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #268
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

This is so right. It’s certainly fun to debate trades and signings but we don’t see the whole picture. Could he have lottery protected the Hamonic picks? What other players were available. Did Hamilton make it clear he wanted out? Did Fox’s advisor tell Flames he wasn’t signing?

The list goes and on and you can manufacture a reason to like almost any deal an NHL GM makes. You can see that on this board every day. Some posters are going to love Treliving’s moves no matter what they are and some are going to hate them.

Evaluate a GM based on their vision and how they are carrying it out. If you haven’t built a team that can finish in top half of league with some regularity and some pipeline of young talent then you’re not doing a good job.

I think Treliving has more than another year to prove himself but if this team doesn’t make playoffs his seat will be hot. The disappointment around these parts would be intense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 07:16 AM   #269
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The playoffs are a low bar for success considering up until this season, 8 of 14 teams make it, and it’s still more than 50% now.

So yeah good GM’s can build playoff teams. He didn’t inherit a team in cap trouble or any other major problem.

So it’s been a great off season and looking forward to results that follow.
Really though that would likely be acceptable to ownership if only for the extra playoff revenue. Flames fans really aren't that greedy as we have been accustomed to so much failure our standards are very low. We aren't planning the cup parade like Leafs fans, we just want a team that plays well in the regular season and makes the playoffs on an annual basis in a position they can win a round, or two, or more. We haven't seen that yet under Treliving's tenure and ultimately he has to be held accountable. It really doesn't matter what we think as I expect ownership's expectations are inline with the fans if not higher and he will be fired if they miss the playoffs next season so as you say he only needs to meet a low bar of success which is entirely reasonable given the resources ownership has provided him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #270
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
........ The disappointment around these parts would be intense.
Let’s be honest, it’ll be intense here if they start the season 0-2.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #271
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coaching change
Blockbuster trade
Prominent free agent signing

Great work Brad! It has been an entertaining summer and I am extremely optimistic about the upcoming season. I think this team challenges for the Pacific Division title.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #272
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Hell, it's actually quite common for the worth of a GM to not be measured until long after they are gone.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #273
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
it's back to back Nucks games to kick things off? this forum will be reduced to smoldering ash if they drop two in a row to Roussel and company. what I am demanding out of this team this year is a much more focused pre-season where they've got almost all the bugs sorted out by opening night. no more of this futzing around with extended rosters just a few days before final submission, signing crap tryouts because they "outhustled" guys with more ability, and no more chasing the puck around like the timbit squads at intermission because they are allegedly still getting used to the system.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #274
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

A lot of people are also underestimating how well the cap has been managed in Calgary. Next summer, we likely won't have any room for big UFAs, but the summer after that the Flames have Brouwer, Froilik, and Stone coming off the books. In 3 years time the only contracts I see with the potential to be bad are Giordano and Neal. Even then, I don't see either player as totaling falling off their game in 3 years. Giordano is too smart, and Neal's game isn't dependent on speed.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #275
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Hell, it's actually quite common for the worth of a GM to not be measured until long after they are gone.
Half the people poo-pooing Treliving's moves now were saying that the 2015 miracle team was "really Feaster's team".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #276
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It's intense here when there's two bad shifts in a row. It's intense here when scratches are announced. It's intense here when Ball and Hrudey don't call a game.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #277
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving’s next big test are the Hanifin and Lindholm contracts. Now I’m not one of those people that believe a GM can “convince” a player to accept less money. The question here is what kind of term Treliving tries to get.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #278
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double post
Old 07-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #279
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
it's back to back Nucks games to kick things off? this forum will be reduced to smoldering ash if they drop two in a row to Roussel and company. what I am demanding out of this team this year is a much more focused pre-season where they've got almost all the bugs sorted out by opening night. no more of this futzing around with extended rosters just a few days before final submission, signing crap tryouts because they "outhustled" guys with more ability, and no more chasing the puck around like the timbit squads at intermission because they are allegedly still getting used to the system.
Ok, I agree with you to a certain extent, but I felt the bolded was a little unfair. The largest reason we had all those guys is because we had horrible NHL depth as a franchise. You bring those guys in on PTOs because the young guys need to prove that their better than replacement-level NHLers. They largely didn't, and so for that reason, some of those guys got deals. I put that on the young players that were given opportunities to show they belonged in camp (Shinkaruk, Wotherspoon, Poirier, Mangiapane, Phillips etc.) and failed to impress. If you can't out-hustle Tanner Glass, you don't deserve to make the NHL, full stop. Also, this is how we signed guys like Versteeg who helped this team quite a bit.

Now, our team has developed to the point where even some of our young NHLers need to look over their shoulder at the AHL depth. I wonder how long it will be before Bennett is shipped out for someone like Dube, or Mangiapane. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Internal competition for roster spots always makes every player better and more accountable.

Except Troy Brouwer.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #280
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Treliving’s next big test are the Hanifin and Lindholm contracts. Now I’m not one of those people that believe a GM can “convince” a player to accept less money. The question here is what kind of term Treliving tries to get.
I think his biggest strength so far has been RFA contracts. UFA signings have been all over the place, but I really think these two contracts aren't really anything to worry about based on his pat work.
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote