Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 07:57 AM   #161
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
To the pro-tank people who are also complaining:

Spoiler!
there are more posts in this thread upset at the people who wanted to rebuild than posts from people who wanted to rebuild who are now upset (in fact I'm not sure I see a single "pro-tank" poster who is complaining in this thread).
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:13 AM   #162
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Keep the L's coming. Don't care how low morale gets over these last 17 games - it's a lost season, so make the most of it with a top pick.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:15 AM   #163
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Play more kids and watch this team start winning.

When appropriate send Wolf & Coronato back to the AHL for their playoff run, start Vladar more, and let nature take its course.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:18 AM   #164
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel bad for Blake Coleman, what a heart and soul guy.
I don't feel bad for the fans, this is a necessary evil.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 03-13-2024 at 09:21 AM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:27 AM   #165
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope Rasmus secretly asks Conroy for a trade at his exit interview and Conroy proceeds to get a haul for him and Markstrom at the draft.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:28 AM   #166
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

My biggest fear with the post-deadline tankathon was that it would sewer Markstrom's value for his inevitable trade this summer. Looks like management & Markstrom could potentially have a plan for preventing this though ("injured")?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:28 AM   #167
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You had to know this was coming after gutting the D core and replacing them with players ill equipped to handle the minutes and move pucks quickly and accurately. If we're going to lose, we might as well lose huge the rest of the way.

A top 7/8 pick in this years draft is certainly not out of the question as I don't see this spiral ending anytime soon. Time to shelve Markstrom to protect his value and ride Wolf/Vladar.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:32 AM   #168
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
My biggest fear with the post-deadline tankathon was that it would sewer Markstrom's value for his inevitable trade this summer. Looks like management & Markstrom could potentially have a plan for preventing this though ("injured")?
Barn Burner had a similar discussion yesterday, suggesting (before they knew he wasn't starting) that Markstrom may be asked to pick which games he wants to start and then Wolf or Vladar get the rest of the games.

Makes sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:49 AM   #169
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening to Flames post game and the interview with Miromanov right now. Love his accountability and other general comments. Sounds like a real standup dude and I loved everything he said.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:49 AM   #170
GUnit
Backup Goalie

Exp:

One thing is for sure, Anderson is not a top pairing D man. Lost puppy out there losing assignments , leaving zone early.
GUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GUnit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:50 AM   #171
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
lanny Stick a fork in it Jerry!

Every loss brings us closer to the chance to draft a #1 center and a #1 D.

I don't mind. Neither should any of you who aren't already on board. Neither the coaching staff nor almost any player over the age of 25 will still be with us when we open the new building.

Saddle up and bite down. After we trade Markstrom this summer, next season will be "worse" than this one - which will be great for the franchise.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:57 AM   #172
EN FUEGO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm aware that most of the folks around here have been clamoring for the team to tank for a while now, and I've been in the minority there in that I find it very hard to find a silver lining in staring down multiple years of garbage hockey. To me, cheering for losses is an Oiler thing, or more recently, something every member of my hockey team does (all Sharks fans). Pretty sad to get in the locker room after a game and watch them check their phones and high five over losses.

I personally don't buy the "educated fans will still fill the building" thing, as it used to really bum me out when the dome was half empty and quiet as a library on a regular basis. Being concerned about the health of the franchise going into a (potentially long) ugly period isn't crazy to me either. That said, I did not know there was a 35 year commitment to remain in Calgary as part of the new arena deal, so that makes me feel a bit better I guess. I'll be watching most games, hoping for another miracle run to dash our chances at the next Alexander Daigle.

Last edited by EN FUEGO; 03-13-2024 at 09:58 AM. Reason: sea of text
EN FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:03 AM   #173
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheering for losses or being ok with losses, it's all with the end goal of increasing the Flames chances at a franchise player in the draft.

Where would this franchise be right now if they'd lost a little more in 2013 and ended up with Mackinnon instead of Monahan?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:09 AM   #174
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Barn Burner had a similar discussion yesterday, suggesting (before they knew he wasn't starting) that Markstrom may be asked to pick which games he wants to start and then Wolf or Vladar get the rest of the games.

Makes sense.
Only game Markstrum wants to start for the rest of the season is a game of golf

If I was him I would be starting my summer vacation early
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:17 AM   #175
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EN FUEGO View Post
I'm aware that most of the folks around here have been clamoring for the team to tank for a while now, and I've been in the minority there in that I find it very hard to find a silver lining in staring down multiple years of garbage hockey. To me, cheering for losses is an Oiler thing, or more recently, something every member of my hockey team does (all Sharks fans). Pretty sad to get in the locker room after a game and watch them check their phones and high five over losses.

I personally don't buy the "educated fans will still fill the building" thing, as it used to really bum me out when the dome was half empty and quiet as a library on a regular basis. Being concerned about the health of the franchise going into a (potentially long) ugly period isn't crazy to me either. That said, I did not know there was a 35 year commitment to remain in Calgary as part of the new arena deal, so that makes me feel a bit better I guess. I'll be watching most games, hoping for another miracle run to dash our chances at the next Alexander Daigle.
When you've been watching mediocrity for 40 years, you get tired of it. The franchise needs a new approach and a dramatic shift to return to relevance.

Keep in mind many fans (on this 23 year old website) no longer live in Calgary - so while the "bums in seats" argument is true... there are a lot of folks to whom it simply doesn't apply. You have both my sympathies and my envy if you are able to attend games in person in the coming years.

But ultimately to the point of "bums in seats" the team isn't moving. The NHL has revenue sharing. A new rink is being built. It's not a salient argument, so a few years of garbage hockey and and empty building aren't going to matter long term.

The Flames haven't been relevant for a long time. Give us something else to get excited about.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:17 AM   #176
Toonage

Exp:

I expect Markstrom to start the games against Vancouver, to start a few on the road (they won't take Wolf with them) but if I were him I'd be avoiding the trap games the Flames always fall into. Sharks, Hawks etc.

Honestly, assuming he is in good health, I don't see Markstrom starting more than 5 more games this season.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:26 AM   #177
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Cheering for losses or being ok with losses, it's all with the end goal of increasing the Flames chances at a franchise player in the draft.

Where would this franchise be right now if they'd lost a little more in 2013 and ended up with Mackinnon instead of Monahan?

They’d still have that first round pick, Treliving would only need to bundle Mackinnon with a 2nd to unload him
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:34 AM   #178
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah I don't see any pro tankers complaining, but rather the people who didn't want to.

The organization needs this.

15-16 sucked too but we got Chucky, which was obviously huge.

If we get 8th oa this year they will be the best prospect in our system since Chucky.

That's exciting!
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:48 AM   #179
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last 3 games have been incredible and a solid step in the right direction for this franchise. May it continue. I have absolutely no shame in wanting this team to plummet down the standings. If you actually want this team to build a winner eventually, this is how it's going to work. Might as well get on the tank train.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:48 AM   #180
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did Wolf look in the 3rd?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote