Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #2381
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I was in the new rink last night and it was great to watch Columbus win! The rink is nice but there are so many bottleneck areas creating lines. To get to the upper level, you need to take one of two escalators. Picture the lineup when you have 8000 people trying to get on the escalator. Bathroom lineups are long. Attempting to leave was worse...the two escalators were jam packed and it was slow moving. The atmosphere was so quiet. The old building was raucous while this rink seems like a vacuum.
This is something a number of us have noted for years now. Back when Oilers fans were thumping their chests about crowd noise records being set at Rexall Place during the 2006 playoffs it was clear that the corrugated steel design of that old building greatly escalated decibel levels.

Regardless of whether the new arena is amazing, it is embarrassing for Edmonton residents to carry on about it like they do. And it is pretty sad—sad that the best part of that city is a hockey arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 12-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #2382
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
And it is pretty sad—sad that the best part of that city is a hockey arena.
For decades, the best part of the city was a shopping mall, so it's a step up.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #2383
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strictly speaking, the best part of the city was and is the QE2 heading south.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #2384
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
For decades, the best part of the city was a shopping mall, so it's a step up.
Yeah... but it had a FCUK store.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #2385
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was great to hear others in attendance comment on the poor atmosphere. The city went for a home run and they didn't get it. Parking was a disaster as well. My buddy and I parked in the park ace at city centre mall. It took us 25 minutes to get drive down from the third level to the exit.

The best part was listening to fans cry when penalties weren't called for 'indiscretions' on McDavid. For the majority of the game, McDavid was a non factor. He had several prime chances from the slot but instead passes to guys with horrible shooting angles. I had to laugh when the fans were getting pissed at the saviour's play.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #2386
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I was in the new rink last night and it was great to watch Columbus win! The rink is nice but there are so many bottleneck areas creating lines. To get to the upper level, you need to take one of two escalators. Picture the lineup when you have 8000 people trying to get on the escalator. Bathroom lineups are long. Attempting to leave was worse...the two escalators were jam packed and it was slow moving. The atmosphere was so quiet. The old building was raucous while this rink seems like a vacuum.
Lineups to the urinals and long lines at the concessions is so bush league for 2016.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #2387
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

^yep, the lineups were the most noticeable issue. The lineup to get up the escalator was probably 200 people long. The lineup moved quickly but it was quite the bottleneck. I didn't explore the upper tier much but my buddy and I were wondering how the two escalators satisfied the fire code. I wouldn't want to be there if there was an emergency evacuation required...picture all of the upper tier folks trying to exit via two escalators each the same width as your typical escalator but much longer.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #2388
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^Infrastructure issues were the lineups. Obviously the biggest disaster was the home team!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #2389
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The escalators are for convenience. For fire exit purposes there are multiple fire exit stairs heading down from the upper concourses.

http://www.rogersplace.com/concourse-maps/
Old 12-14-2016, 11:00 PM   #2390
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Justin Schultz with a goal and 2 assists to lead the Penguins to victory. He leads the Pens and the entire NHL with a +18. He also is coasting along with 17 points which puts him at #13 in the NHL.

Nice to see him bounce back after going -93 in Edmonton. Just has to get the Oiler stink off him and he can turn into a good player.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #2391
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who wouldve thought at this time last year Justin ####ing Schultz would lead the league in +/- and Brodie would be last -_-
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #2392
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must be a J. Schultz thing. Jeff Schultz led the league with a +50 in 2009-10.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #2393
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Justin 'Jeff' Schultz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #2394
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its amazing how much things get better the farther away they get from Edmonton.

Its almost a direct and causal relationship.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #2395
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
LOL Edmonton sure loves to pat themselves on the back. I haven't been in the arena but the more I see pictures (and if you watch Oilers broadcasts it's non-stop commercials of it) of the exterior the more it kind of looks like a cheap tin can building from the outside. I'm sure it's nice inside but I don't know if that design will age gracefully on the outside.
Yeah, no. I hate the Oilers as much as anybody but the rink looks unbelievable in person no matter the light. The problems about lines and bathrooms are somewhat true, even at the Kings games I went to.. but overall it blows the Dome out of the water. Again, the Oilers still suck... and there's still a billion things to rag on Edmonton for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #2396
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yeah, no. I hate the Oilers as much as anybody but the rink looks unbelievable in person no matter the light. The problems about lines and bathrooms are somewhat true, even at the Kings games I went to.. but overall it blows the Dome out of the water. Again, the Oilers still suck... and there's still a billion things to rag on Edmonton for.
The inside is awesome but I agree with EE that the outside is ugly.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #2397
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is it $600 million better than the Saddledome?
Old 12-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #2398
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Is it $600 million better than the Saddledome?
You mean $400 million because, you know inflation? Given the amenities, the second rink, LRT link, and the other things included in the project... yeah. It is.

I shot some promo stuff for them and it's pretty hard to take a bad picture. All mine were before it was barfed on by Oilers fans, however.

MacEwan Station - Edmonton LRT by Acey, on Flickr
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #2399
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You mean $400 million because, you know inflation? Given the amenities, the second rink, LRT link, and the other things included in the project... yeah. It is.

I shot some promo stuff for them and it's pretty hard to take a bad picture. All mine were before it was barfed on by Oilers fans, however.
Quote:
Edmonton's new downtown arena, built in less than three years at a total cost of more than $600 million, is officially open.

Rogers Place, the new home of the Edmonton Oilers, was opened in a ceremony Thursday evening.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...oors-1.3753743
Old 12-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #2400
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

You said $600 million better, which would imply the difference in cost between the two buildings. Unless you think the dome was built for free.
Closed Thread