Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If the election were held today, who would you vote for?
Conservatives 91 39.22%
Liberals 126 54.31%
NDP 6 2.59%
Greens 8 3.45%
Other 1 0.43%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #121
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Is there any empirical evidence that boutique tax credits aimed at parents actually increases the birth rate? According to StatsCan, it looks like Harper's baby handouts didn't really have any effect at all.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...lth85b-eng.htm

Also, Japan is an incredibly insular country that allows very little immigration, but Canada is an open and multicultural society. We can easily avoid the demographic problem Japan is facing though increased immigration. I can see why that solution doesn't appeal to Harper and other Old Stock Canadians, though.
I do think it is an economic decision for many Canadians to not reproduce at a natural replacement level, but tax breaks probably miss the mark. Many adults in Canada just don't reach financial stability until their mid 30s, if at all. I bet more Canadians let things like crippling student loans affect their decision to start a family than things like taxes.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-11-2015 at 01:10 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #122
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I do think it is an economic decision for many Canadians to not reproduce at a natural replacement level, but tax breaks probably miss the mark. Many adults in Canada just don't reach financial stability until their mid 30s, if at all. I bet more Canadian let things like crippling student loans affect their decision to start a family than things like taxes.
Yep affordable child care and housing do far more to encourage reproduction than tax credits.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #123
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
If you intend to vote strategically, I'd recommend you wait until election day.
Point is well-taken, but I may be unavailable to vote on the 19th due to work-related travel.

I was more curious if anyone had more up-to-date, local information since these predictions are based off data from previous elections. I feel like the climate surrounding this one is different, and I want to do everything I can to ensure my vote is useful.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #124
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codes View Post
Point is well-taken, but I may be unavailable to vote on the 19th due to work-related travel.

I was more curious if anyone had more up-to-date, local information since these predictions are based off data from previous elections. I feel like the climate surrounding this one is different, and I want to do everything I can to ensure my vote is useful.
Have you seen this one?

http://www.votetogether.ca/
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #125
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Have you seen this one?

http://www.votetogether.ca/
Negative. Thanks for the link! Same recommendation as other websites I consulted. Anyway, I voted. We'll see how it all plays out.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #126
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

K
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yep affordable child care and housing do far more to encourage reproduction than tax credits.
I don't know.
Apparently nothing does
Quote:
To make having children more attractive, in recent years Berlin has increased monthly government subsidies paid to families with children, benefits for parents who stay home to care for newborns, work leave payments for new fathers and an expansion of national day care services. Despite these efforts, however, the German birthrate has remained at a constant average of 1.4 children per woman for around 40 years.
On Monday, the German Federal Institute for Population Research issued a report looking into the reasons behind the failure to increase the country's birthrate.The results are sobering. For many Germans, establishing a family has taken a backseat to a career, hobbies and friends. The report concludes that "children no longer represent a central aspect of life for all Germans."
http://m.spiegel.de/international/germany/a-873635.html
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #127
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
K
I don't know.
Apparently nothing does
Why are countries disappointed when their birthrate is low? Immigration can always replenish any population reductions, and there certainly is no shortage of people would would love to immigrate to first world countries.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #128
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
K
I don't know.
Apparently nothing does

http://m.spiegel.de/international/germany/a-873635.html
That's actually really interesting. I also kind of thought that less children would be more prevalent in neoliberal economies, but Germany doesn't fit that description either.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: