Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #2301
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

As for whether it’s wise to pick up the 39-year-old Iginla in a deal, well, the price should be low. He’s only got three goals and seven points in 27 games this year. He’s shooting just 5.8 per cent, so his goal total is a bit light, but he’s no Jarome Iginla anymore, if you know what I mean. On a playoff team, I suspect he’ll be a third-liner at best, a Grumpy Old Man type, playing hard, gritty two-way hockey in the pressure games. But I only suspect this as I haven’t watched Iginla closely enough this year to have an informed take on him.

lol.

I'm all for it if the oil pick him up for his hard, gritty 2 way play.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #2302
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla would be the third highest paid forward and 6th highest paid Flame. You couldn't put him on the fourth line, nor Backlund's line. He only makes sense playing with Monahan or with Bennett and Gaudreau. And I just don't think his performance would be better than what you get out of Brouwer or Chaisson at this point, for $800K and $4.5M respectively.

If he's just here for insurance and depth, I'd MAYBE do it for a large salary retention and a trade for Bouma, to get him off the books.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #2303
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Iginla would be the third highest paid forward and 6th highest paid Flame. You couldn't put him on the fourth line, nor Backlund's line. He only makes sense playing with Monahan or with Bennett and Gaudreau. And I just don't think his performance would be better than what you get out of Brouwer or Chaisson at this point, for $800K and $4.5M respectively.

If he's just here for insurance and depth, I'd MAYBE do it for a large salary retention and a trade for Bouma, to get him off the books.
Rental Player's pay dictate their line placement?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #2304
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Rental Player's pay dictate their line placement?
Theoretically no, practically, yes. You don't sign an expensive player to have them play 12 minutes a night on the 4th line. And if you do, you are dumb, since you are (a) paying too much for the services and (b) denying the development spot to someone like Hathaway. .
Old 12-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #2305
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Theoretically no, practically, yes. You don't sign an expensive player to have them play 12 minutes a night on the 4th line. And if you do, you are dumb, since you are (a) paying too much for the services and (b) denying the development spot to someone like Hathaway. .
What's ownership gonna do, whine to Gulutzan that Iginla's not being played to what he's being paid? Wideman's being paid $6 million this year and he sat multiple games.

Your argument holds some water if we're bringing someone on board longer term, but we're talking about a rental that's leaving as soon as the season ends.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #2306
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers will not release PullyourRV to play for Finland at the upcoming WJHC tourney and Chia says Jesse may be sent down to the AHL at some point this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/puljujarvi-will-no...t-wjc-1.630814
Old 12-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #2307
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Oilers will not release PullyourRV to play for Finland at the upcoming WJHC tourney and Chia says Jesse may be sent down to the AHL at some point this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/puljujarvi-will-no...t-wjc-1.630814

Those things seem like they're opposite things.

If they're going to send him down then they may as well release him. Not releasing him and sending him down seems......stupid.

OH! The Edmonton Oilers! Right! I almost forgot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #2308
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Iginla waives his NMC to go to the Oilers, he's dead to me. I don't want to see him back in Calgary either, but just say no to no good.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #2309
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Those things seem like they're opposite things.

If they're going to send him down then they may as well release him. Not releasing him and sending him down seems......stupid.

OH! The Edmonton Oilers! Right! I almost forgot.
You "nailed" it! (heh pun intended!)

So a player can't regain confidence playing with his age group in a two week tournament, but should be sent down to the ahl?

so oilers.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #2310
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
What's ownership gonna do, whine to Gulutzan that Iginla's not being played to what he's being paid? Wideman's being paid $6 million this year and he sat multiple games.

Your argument holds some water if we're bringing someone on board longer term, but we're talking about a rental that's leaving as soon as the season ends.
I expect they'd first ask GG what he'd do with Iginla, and when GG says "I'm not going to play a guy like that on the top 2 lines" they wouldn't make the trade.

Wideman is way different. His contract was signed with the expectation he'd be a top defenceman. He wasn't signed to over $5.5 to sit, and he wasn't played that way either. You can say the same about Stajan - he was signed to play a higher role than he is playing now. But they'd never make a trade for a $3M 4th liner.

You sign a big name rental to make an impact. What exactly do you think Iginla's role would be? He's 13th on his team in scoring. 3 goals, 7 points in 27 games. The Flames have 11 players with more goals. No regular forward has less. In fact, all but Stajan have more. Of the forwards who've played only Hathaway, Hamilton and Bouma have fewer, but they've played just over half the games that Iginla has. Versteeg has 4 goals in 19 games (to Iginla's 3 in 27). Brouwer and Frolik have 6, plus play better defence. Chaisson has 5, plays better defence.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to put Iginla in the position of being a marginal player on the Flames. It's not like Lanny's situation after years with the same team, culminating with a cup.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #2311
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Edmonton mismanaging still. Poolparty has what, 1 goal all year? And they won't send him to the WJC?? But they will send him to the AHL? What the F###. Derp Chirelli. Randy bo bandy looking mutha Fug
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #2312
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've watched Poolparty play a few times, he's not even close to NHL ready and has no confidence.

Not releasing him is dumb, they should have sent him down after training camp, instead they've let him languish.

We know this is happening because the Oilers have abysmal depth, thats just the way it is.

but Friends I'm torn

On one hand, I feel bad for the kid the oilers have left a road littered with corpses of talented players that they've ruined with their stupidity.

On the other hand, I hope they completely ruin the kid so the NHL steps in and doesn't allow them to draft in the first round again

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 12-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #2313
Knut

Exp:

Going to the World Juniors and putting up some points would be great for the development of Poolparty...

They could have signed Versteeg on the same wing and let Poolparty start in the AHL. Inevitably there would have been an injury and he could have been recalled.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #2314
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of surprised that they have sat him for 9 games so far this season. I guess that is good for them as he isn't really close to the 40 game mark, but sitting in the pressbox for a 1/3 of the season so far seems like a waste development wise.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #2315
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I expect they'd first ask GG what he'd do with Iginla, and when GG says "I'm not going to play a guy like that on the top 2 lines" they wouldn't make the trade.

Wideman is way different. His contract was signed with the expectation he'd be a top defenceman. He wasn't signed to over $5.5 to sit, and he wasn't played that way either. You can say the same about Stajan - he was signed to play a higher role than he is playing now. But they'd never make a trade for a $3M 4th liner.

You sign a big name rental to make an impact. What exactly do you think Iginla's role would be? He's 13th on his team in scoring. 3 goals, 7 points in 27 games. The Flames have 11 players with more goals. No regular forward has less. In fact, all but Stajan have more. Of the forwards who've played only Hathaway, Hamilton and Bouma have fewer, but they've played just over half the games that Iginla has. Versteeg has 4 goals in 19 games (to Iginla's 3 in 27). Brouwer and Frolik have 6, plus play better defence. Chaisson has 5, plays better defence.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to put Iginla in the position of being a marginal player on the Flames. It's not like Lanny's situation after years with the same team, culminating with a cup.
You're completely wrong here. You are saying that you don't aquire Iginla to be a third/fourth line player because he used to be good and has a bad contract. You are assuming Iginla is a "Big Name" acquisition whereas if he is being acquired to play 12 minutes a night then that is a role player acquisition. You can argue he doesn't fit that role but to say that he doesn't fit because he has a big salary is false.

Cap Space unused has zero value at the end of the season.
Iggy coming back sells tickets so the real dollars out the door are actually positive.

So the only 3 questions worth asking are Does his acquisition prevent other acquisitions. Does the role he would play on the team make it worth the assets being given up and Is he better now than who he is replacing

This concept that he makes to much to be played somewhere is nonsensical.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 12-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #2316
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They won't let him go?

Such dumb management.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #2317
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So the only 3 questions worth asking are Does his acquisition prevent other acquisitions. Does the role he would play on the team make it worth the assets being given up and Is he better now than who he is replacing
These are good questions.

My answers are not good, but based on what I've seen so far this season, I'm saying:

1. Yes, his acquisition prevents other acquisitions. Suppose the Flames are in a playoff spot in February and a defenceman blows a tire. Absolutely, in that case you use your cap space to get a replacement D before you spend it on Iginla. However, there is some chance that there won't be a better use of the space at that time, so you never can tell.

2. If he's being acquired for future considerations, a very late pick, or a prospect who's likely to be lost on waivers next fall, the acquisition cost is basically zero and I would be fine with that. So you never can tell.

3. At the moment, Iginla is not playing better than any forward on the Flames' roster. However, we all know he starts slow, and every year it seems to take him longer to round into form. If he gets it together and has 10+ goals before the deadline, then he may be in a good position to push one of the Flames' roleplayers out of the lineup. So you never can tell.

However, I am not a betting man, and at this point I'm not risking a nickel on the basis of ‘you never can tell’.

ObOnTopic: The Oilers, on the other hand, have a history of betting the farm on ‘you never can tell’. I suspect they'd trade for Iginla in a heartbeat, except that I very much doubt he'd waive his NMC to go there. Long may their incompetence wave!

Last edited by Jay Random; 12-13-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #2318
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Building an Icon: An hour long feature on the development of the same stink at the new rink will air on SN before tonight's dismal performance against the BJs.

Let's see how many times they mention Mcnugget. I'm sure it will feature Gene stroking Katz and be No Good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #2319
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Going to the World Juniors and putting up some points would be great for the development of Poolparty...

They could have signed Versteeg on the same wing and let Poolparty start in the AHL. Inevitably there would have been an injury and he could have been recalled.
They tried to sign Versteeg. He snubbed them for a much better team.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #2320
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Building an Icon: An hour long feature on the development of the same stink at the new rink will air on SN before tonight's dismal performance against the BJs.

Let's see how many times they mention Mcnugget. I'm sure it will feature Gene stroking Katz and be No Good.

The crappy program dedicated to Katz's staggering ego has already aired at least twice before on SNW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Closed Thread