Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #61
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Depends how long you've been away. If you've been non-resident for five years, you don't get a vote anyways. Your views may be irrelevant to the election process.
Nah I've only been gone 3 years and still filed taxes.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #62
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just had a look at the elections Canada website. Seems like I'm eligible but I guess I'll find out for sure once I mail in my special ballot application.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #63
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

At three years you should still be eligible. Registration and Voting Processes for Canadians Who Live Abroad

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 08-03-2015, 12:26 AM   #64
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am firmly in the anyone but Harper camp. Even if it's either an NDP or Liberal minority, or possibly a coalition government of the two, that would be a major upgrade on this government.

Canada has not seen any improvement at all in any way since the late 90's.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 AM   #65
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Then who do you see winning it?
There is no real credible choice. Note that I didn't say alternative.
Were it multiple choice, I and probably many / most Canadians would choose d.
None of the above
I don't disagree. I think it's most probable that we end up with another CPC minority government, or possibly an NDP minority. I mean hell, they managed to grab the official opposition last time around and the Liberals have been beaten into the ground with no real signs of being a contender this time.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:23 AM   #66
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
God help Alberta if that happened.
Fearmongering.

It's day 2 of the election and we're already near the bottom of the barrel.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #67
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
This. Can't wait till we turf the guy. With changing the rules in the hideously named 'Fair Elections Act' last year, and now making the election longer, he's inching towards that mess to the south where elections last a year, and no one can actually debate anything of value.

Conservatives are taking plays out of the Republicans books to fix elections. We gotta nip this in the bud before it gets worse. Make them accountable. Don't forget this is also the party that had robocalls giving out false electoral information in a hotly contested riding. That's criminal behaviour. That's banana republic stuff that should NEVER occur in a western democracy. And anyone who thinks it began and ended with that one Conservative staffer, well I have a bridge and some swampland to sell you.
Yep. Harper just continues to show an utter lack of respect for the Canadian democratic system. Over his time in office he has been able to repeatedly manipulate the Canadian political system in ways that harm the democratic process but are beneficial to his party.

Watching Canada from the outside over the last ten years has been depressing. Non-Canadians' perceptions of Canada have become much more negative and I've lost a lot of pride in representing the country abroad. I hope in future to move back a Canada that still has a traditionally Canadian political system in practice rather than one ruled by low-ball American political tactics.

At least when Rob Ford was international news us Canadians living abroad could still have a good laugh about it. Harper's influence on Canada's reputation has been one that causes actual shame rather than mirthful shared laughter.

I wish I were still allowed to vote.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #68
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Yep. Harper just continues to show an utter lack of respect for the Canadian democratic system. Over his time in office he has been able to repeatedly manipulate the Canadian political system in ways that harm the democratic process but are beneficial to his party.

Watching Canada from the outside over the last ten years has been depressing. Non-Canadians' perceptions of Canada have become much more negative and I've lost a lot of pride in representing the country abroad. I hope in future to move back a Canada that still has a traditionally Canadian political system in practice rather than one ruled by low-ball American political tactics.

At least when Rob Ford was international news us Canadians living abroad could still have a good laugh about it. Harper's influence on Canada's reputation has been one that causes actual shame rather than mirthful shared laughter.

I wish I were still allowed to vote.
A bit much isn't it? Feel free not to represent the country abroad.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #69
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Fearmongering.

It's day 2 of the election and we're already near the bottom of the barrel.
Given you showed up, I am inclined to agree.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #70
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing Resolute and the Conservatives have to sell is fear. They certainly can't run on harper's record.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #71
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

And the other poster who never adds a word of value shows up.

NOW we've reached the bottom of the barrel.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #72
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
A bit much isn't it? Feel free not to represent the country abroad.

Well, I'm not going to tell people I'm from anywhere else when they ask me.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #73
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
And the other poster who never adds a word of value shows up.

NOW we've reached the bottom of the barrel.
Says the guy who won't discuss the issues and instead launches two personal attacks.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #74
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Well, considering Harper's first speech was all about fear, why would his supporters be any different?

Fear ISIS! (really?) Fear giving over the economy to anyone else but us! (cause you guys have been doing so great recently?)

Some of the language he used was really quite strong. It was embarrassing. Maybe it will resonate with some people but for me it just kinda showed how desperate he is now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #75
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Says the guy who won't discuss the issues and instead launches two personal attacks.
Welcome to the next 10 weeks. I cannot remember a political party who has less that they can actually run on than the current CPC. They have that Mulcair and Trudeau just aren't ready and...terrorism? And that's only if you like George W. Bush neo-con style approach to terrorism? Certainly can't run on the economy, can't run on social issues, can't run on improving Canada's standing in the world, can't run on transparent government, can't run on senate reform, can't run on integrity....there's nothing except fear and personal attacks for them to run on. Let us hope we don't devolve into Americans where this can actually work.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #76
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think Trudeau has lost the election, and the pummeling from Mulcair and Harper who both would relish destroying Trudeau is about to begin, and I don't think that Justin will be able to handle it as he's not good at thinking on the fly.

I can't vote for the NDP because I just don't believe in their platform and while Mulcair is a good man, I don't believe in his personal standings. I think he'd be a disaster for this province if elected.

This is it for Harper, this is the last election, since I vote in every election, I'll probably vote for him, he still aligns closest in terms of policy to me.
This is also where I'm at, but am open to having my mind changed. I have no particular allegiances having voted for all three parties at some point. I guess we've all got 11 weeks to figure out whose platform is the best option for us. I hope people actually do that rather than just wearing team colours.

On a related note, the bickering is one thing, but the thread won't hit rock bottom until someone posts something deliberately misleading to trash another party's record or platform. Hell, we're not even on to talking points yet - sorry to say but there's a lot more pit before rock bottom happens here.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #77
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Oh yeah, it's going to get waaaaay worse. Heh. Over/under on bans that happen because of this thread? I'll set it at 1.5.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #78
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope people out there don't just vote ideologically. I think that's very wrong. I was pleased when the NDP shockingly became the official opposition because Jack Layton killed it at the debate, instead of teaming up with the Libs to attack the Cons like everyone thought he would. He swung people's votes based on the issues and his plan, and this pleased me that people used their brains when voting.

I personally hate attack ads. In fact, I hate most political ads attack or otherwise. They are just annoying. Waste of money? Debatable. They seem to work.

However, people need to realize that party ads are paid for by the party, through donations from supporters, not from taxpayers. I thought removing corporate and union funding for parties and capping individual donations was a huge step in making the CDN system less American. The American election is a circus and I hate it.

I am glad I am still able to vote (won't be able to in a couple years), and I will be voting for the Conservatives as of right now.

The government doesn't "run" the economy. The economy is run by businesses doing business with each other and foreign companies. The role of government is to make doing business as easy as possible, but making it equitable for the citizens. A fine line, and an ever changing line.

During the economic downturn, many countries suffered immensely. Canada suffered as well, but no where near as bad as the USA in many parts, select EU countries, and the majority of Asian and third world countries. I attribute this to sound economic management of the aforementioned "line" by the government, more precisely attributed to Flaherty, Harper, and the like. I am willing to award that with my vote in the next election to see if they can continue managing the economy into hopefully a brighter economic outlook over the next 5 years. I worry Mulcair in the interest of more equality will damage the way business is done. I also think Trudeau doesn't necessarily have a plan other than "Let's just do the opposite of Harper".

I hope people think critically of the issues. I hear all sorts of rhetoric like "Harper is a dictator. Vote him out". Yes, but no. He's a PM and he didn't dictate anything. He's got a majority and majorities can get a lot of their platform through compared to a minority.

As far as people not being "proud to represent Canada anymore abroad" I say PHOOEY to that. I assume you are saying that because of Canada's military actions recently. Personally, I am proud when I hear the Canadian military is doing meaningful things around the world. Canada has always had a proud military tradition, and it GMG when people say what Harper does with the military is anti-Canadian or something.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #79
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So, Harper says that he started the campaign now in order to save taxpayer's money.

[EDIT: Harper, to my knowledge at least, did NOT say "I started the campaign now in order to save taxpayer's money". This is just my interpretation of what he is quoted as saying in the link below. I don't even know for sure if he said what he has been quoted as saying as I was not present when he made the statement and have to go on the word of the reporter. He may have in fact uttered those exact words. I doubt it though.]

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08...?utm_hp_ref=tw

I don't know what is worse, the blatant lie or that he thinks Canadians are stupid enough to believe it.

[EDIT: When I typed "Canadians" I did NOT mean to say that he thinks that ALL Canadians are stupid enough to believe his statements, nor do I claim that he had the exact thought "Canadians are stupid enough to believe my statement". This again is just a supposition of mine. In fact, I would like to withdraw my statement altogether. Evidently, some Canadians are stupid enough to believe what he said.]

Last edited by John Doe; 08-03-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #80
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
However, people need to realize that party ads are paid for by the party, through donations from supporters, not from taxpayers.
Yes, the parties pay for the ads, but they are reimbursed for half of their costs by the taxpayers. As well, the people making the donations get tax credits, so the taxpayers are subsidizing the spending by the parties even before their rebates.

Quote:
During the economic downturn, many countries suffered immensely. Canada suffered as well, but no where near as bad as the USA in many parts, select EU countries, and the majority of Asian and third world countries. I attribute this to sound economic management of the aforementioned "line" by the government, more precisely attributed to Flaherty, Harper, and the like. I am willing to award that with my vote in the next election to see if they can continue managing the economy into hopefully a brighter economic outlook over the next 5 years. I worry Mulcair in the interest of more equality will damage the way business is done. I also think Trudeau doesn't necessarily have a plan other than "Let's just do the opposite of Harper".
The main reason our system held up well is because of the regulations that we had in place, which the Conservatives had voted against while in opposition. The stimulus package was forced on the Conservatives by the opposition, as Flaherty had said that they were not going to do anything of the sort that fall. How well Canada has done financially since the Conservatives have been elected is up for debate, as is how well we are positioned for the future. As for the economic policies of the NDP and Liberals, which ones do you have issue with?
http://canadianelection2015.tumblr.c...atform-summary

http://www.ndp.ca/issues

Quote:
I hope people think critically of the issues. I hear all sorts of rhetoric like "Harper is a dictator. Vote him out". Yes, but no. He's a PM and he didn't dictate anything. He's got a majority and majorities can get a lot of their platform through compared to a minority.
He has the power in a majority to do pretty well whatever he wants, but he gets the "dictator" title from his strict control of his MP's, from cutting off debate on a multitude of bills, from refusing to submit to parliament documents (contempt of parliament issue), from appointing senators strictly on the basis of how well they will do his bidding, etc..

Quote:
As far as people not being "proud to represent Canada anymore abroad" I say PHOOEY to that. I assume you are saying that because of Canada's military actions recently. Personally, I am proud when I hear the Canadian military is doing meaningful things around the world. Canada has always had a proud military tradition, and it GMG when people say what Harper does with the military is anti-Canadian or something.
Canadians are not ashamed of our military. They are ashamed of the government's disruptive actions on climate control internationally, their unconditional support of Israel, etc..

EDIT: (Disclaimer: I do not speak for all Canadians, nor do I want to.) I do not feel that all Canadians are ashamed of our government's disruptive actions on climate control internationally, their unconditional support of Israel, etc... nor do I want to imply that all Canadians are not ashamed of our military. I just want to say that I feel that many of the Canadians that are not "proud to represent Canada anymore abroad" feel so because of the actions of the government and not because of the actions of the military.

Last edited by John Doe; 08-03-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: clarification
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Doe For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread