Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #121
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I generally find Aussies to be scummy.
Yeah, there are a lot of bogans, mullets, ferals, hooligans, drunkards and noerdowells. They're fun to drink with though.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #122
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Yeah, there are a lot of bogans, mullets, ferals, hooligans, drunkards and noerdowells. They're fun to drink with though.
Well what do you expect from a country that is nothing more than a glorified penal colony?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #123
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Well what do you expect from a country that is nothing more than a glorified penal colony?
I am detecting some penal envy.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #124
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am detecting some penal envy.
jhunt part deux?
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #125
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Sounds like you do the same thing as me, but you explained it a bit different.
I do? I have a variety of friends that all have different opinions.

Just the other day I had a debate with one of them on gun control. A different political opinion doesn't mean you can't get along with someone. You're just like all the people in the US who have turned into partisan hacks.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #126
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I seriously couldn't hang around with people that ignorant. That would be the beginning of me phasing them out. (If we had already had the conversation and debate as it seems you have).

And it has nothing to do with the politics or the US presidency or anything like that. These people, at least from this example, seem easily led, ignorant, unable to think for themselves, and borderline racist. Even if he was Muslim (assuming he was still American citizen, course that is probably part of their thinking too...) what would it matter?

I guess different people have different values of importance to them when they choose and stick with friends. Not to say this is a bad thing, just that people do choose their friends for different reasons.

It also has nothing to do with, 'you only hang around with people you agree with?' There could be lots of other things we disagree on. Just in this example it seems to hint at pretty awful attitudes which I don't like.
You can't exactly pick your family members.

People have all kinds of different outlooks. Obviously I lose a little respect for them if they have stupid opinions, but I think we're becoming a bit too partisan. They think Obama is a Muslim? Screw them. What if they think Obama is a moron? Screw them too? And suddenly you have an extremely partisan country, since they do it too.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #127
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Italians are only slightly better.

Only slightly.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #128
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
You can't exactly pick your family members.

People have all kinds of different outlooks. Obviously I lose a little respect for them if they have stupid opinions, but I think we're becoming a bit too partisan. They think Obama is a Muslim? Screw them. What if they think Obama is a moron? Screw them too? And suddenly you have an extremely partisan country, since they do it too.
Well family is obviously a different story.

As far as friends, there are some circumstances why I might work around it. Maybe he saved my kid from a car accident once. Maybe she's a friend with benefit and gives great head. Maybe some weird circumstance sometime just brought us together and it was stronger than that.

But it's less about them having that specific opinion and more that I know I'd feel myself drifting apart from them because that opinion would probably lead to other views and values that I just don't jive with. It's unlikely that, that would be the only time I found them easily led, or racist.

As far as friends go, well we all have had great friends, life friends, best friends that we have grown apart from or parted ways with. Besides just distance and time, if often happens because the values (one side or another) start changing, and you have less and less in common. It happens. A lot. Just a part of life. If I had a great friend that started talking like that, I am just being honest in saying we would probably drift apart. Cause our values are different.

As far as toning it down a bit, and just thinking Obama is a moron? Yeah, that I can live with, even have no problem with. I'm not hugely happy with the guy either. And that is more of a opinion that a set of values (which the first comment would indicate more). I have several friends that are more conservative than me, and even some that are, believe it or not, more liberal than me. I just don't like ignorance, and when people don't even attempt to look for the truth or let in an idea.

There is a huge difference between having different opinions, even different shades of values, and the first example you made and how it relates to my values. Miles of difference.

Lastly, I've met a few Obama is a Muslim people. And I have not gotten along with any of them yet. And no, it wasn't because I was using that to make a pre-judgement. Often it came out later after I already knew they weren't going to be my favorite person to hang out with.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #129
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
^^ pretty much my reaction as soon as I hear anybody sputter the words, "peak oil" and how the world will revert back to caveman times.
I have a really good friend who jumped on the peak oil thing, we keep him around because watching him explain himself and twist himself into a ball of frustration over our questions is incredibly entertaining. He's also great in pretty much every way so that helps.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #130
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know very few but those I do know are genuine nice people. I think they're much like Canadians.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #131
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a ton to say besides who cares what people on the interwebz say about anything? And why do people feel the need to announce they are leaving/taking a break?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #132
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
And why do people feel the need to announce they are leaving/taking a break?
Spoiler!
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #133
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Scummy racists is what my grandfather never used to say.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #134
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Well family is obviously a different story.

As far as friends, there are some circumstances why I might work around it. Maybe he saved my kid from a car accident once. Maybe she's a friend with benefit and gives great head. Maybe some weird circumstance sometime just brought us together and it was stronger than that.

But it's less about them having that specific opinion and more that I know I'd feel myself drifting apart from them because that opinion would probably lead to other views and values that I just don't jive with. It's unlikely that, that would be the only time I found them easily led, or racist.

As far as friends go, well we all have had great friends, life friends, best friends that we have grown apart from or parted ways with. Besides just distance and time, if often happens because the values (one side or another) start changing, and you have less and less in common. It happens. A lot. Just a part of life. If I had a great friend that started talking like that, I am just being honest in saying we would probably drift apart. Cause our values are different.

As far as toning it down a bit, and just thinking Obama is a moron? Yeah, that I can live with, even have no problem with. I'm not hugely happy with the guy either. And that is more of a opinion that a set of values (which the first comment would indicate more). I have several friends that are more conservative than me, and even some that are, believe it or not, more liberal than me. I just don't like ignorance, and when people don't even attempt to look for the truth or let in an idea.

There is a huge difference between having different opinions, even different shades of values, and the first example you made and how it relates to my values. Miles of difference.

Lastly, I've met a few Obama is a Muslim people. And I have not gotten along with any of them yet. And no, it wasn't because I was using that to make a pre-judgement. Often it came out later after I already knew they weren't going to be my favorite person to hang out with.
You also have to remember that Obama has only been around for a few years, and most friendships can predate that. Are you going to tell somebody off because of a political difference?

Some of the people I know who think Obama is a Muslim are also people I would love to work with. Its just that the US is at a stage right now where everything is partisan. There is no more disagreeing with Obama because of actual issues. Either you love him or you think he's a Muslim and hate him.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #135
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^^^ Well yeah, but like I was saying, if they had had that idea or attitude it's almost a certainty that I would have been having trouble with other values of theirs even before Obama came around.

It really has nothing to do with Obama, (or any specific person, singular idea, etc.) as you said, he's been around only for a little while and most friendships would have predated that, just like you said. But it's also probably a certainty that I didn't cultivate any friendships with people who would have had that attitude when he busted on the scene, cause the values that leads to believe and caring about that idea are not values that I would have been hanging around with to begin with.

If that makes any sense. Hard to talk in two different tenses at one time.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #136
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
You also have to remember that Obama has only been around for a few years, and most friendships can predate that. Are you going to tell somebody off because of a political difference?

Some of the people I know who think Obama is a Muslim are also people I would love to work with. Its just that the US is at a stage right now where everything is partisan. There is no more disagreeing with Obama because of actual issues. Either you love him or you think he's a Muslim and hate him.
Umm what? First, that's not true at all, the majority of people are able to disagree with policies without having to go off the deep end. Second, there's a massive area between those two places, one where you will find 95% of the population. People who are so deranged, and let's be honest also bigoted, that they subscribe to the belief that Obama is Muslim (and that this would somehow make him evil) are scum as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what kind of work you're in, but if people who hold those type of warped beliefs are people you'd love to work with it sounds like a pretty miserable place, unless of course you're studying them, in which case it would be rather interesting.

Last edited by valo403; 01-23-2013 at 09:02 AM.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #137
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think they have the highest national ratio of d bags in the male population.
The women on the other hand, fantastic!
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #138
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
They are rookies. They told Aeneas and I to "settle down" at a campground in Germany.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #139
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm probably the only one, but I appreciate the goodbye threads or at least the goodbye posts. Maybe we need an Ongoing Goodbye Mega-Thread? Without a goodbye, I always think the worst when a regular poster just vanishes. I remember a lot of people speculating about whether something terrible had happened to Dion a few years ago when he temporarily stopped posting, and I still wonder whether Chris Lindberg is among the living every time that I see a ridiculous hypothetical lineup.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #140
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe a form people can fill out with dates leaving and possible return date and reason leaving.

Otherwise

stop

being

a