Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2024, 10:05 AM   #8661
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Yeah I agree for sure. I was thinking more a younger "Stathom type"...whoever that is I don't really know. I'm sure there's a stunt man around with some decent acting chops that could have been that. But they wanted MacGregor's face I'm sure.

He's just so, so bad.

Maybe even like a Tony Jaa would have been cool. Someone more silent Terminator type vs whatever MacGregor was doing.
I was actually thinking the same thing because Tony Jaa is awesome, but also in his late 40s.

Either way, I'm fine with it. I mean...watch the original Roadhouse and the villain was hilariously cartoonish...I dont know jack about this McGregor fellow, but...his job in this film seemed simple enough and he pulled it off.

As Sr. Mints put it...this movie was a bowl of Kraft Dinner. Not particularly nutritious and certainly not 'haute cuisine' but delicious nonetheless.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:11 AM   #8662
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was fun, dumb, forgettable, entertainment. I thought McGregor was actually okay given he was playing himself. I just think Swayze's Dalton was a better character and the movie misses the Sam Elliott sidekick as there wasn't the same attachment to the characters.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 10:17 AM   #8663
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It was fun, dumb, forgettable, entertainment. I thought McGregor was actually okay given he was playing himself. I just think Swayze's Dalton was a better character and the movie misses the Sam Elliott sidekick as there wasn't the same attachment to the characters.
Yeah...I did like the guys he was training to bounce. I was expecting one of them to die to drive some revenge, but alas twas not to be.

Yeah MacGregor did his thing. Just could have been dialled back some times so his explosions of insanity seemed more menacing than just an ever-ramping up wild animal.

The biker with the broken arm was by far my favourite character.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:53 AM   #8664
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah...I did like the guys he was training to bounce. I was expecting one of them to die to drive some revenge, but alas twas not to be.

Yeah MacGregor did his thing. Just could have been dialled back some times so his explosions of insanity seemed more menacing than just an ever-ramping up wild animal.

The biker with the broken arm was by far my favourite character.
The Polite Biker. I liked him.

Also...similar to the original Roadhouse they made it believable that Dalton was this 'take on all comers' bad ass. I thought that made it more fun.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-30-2024, 11:10 AM   #8665
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lightly tapping nail into tree with broken arm

"Oh, hi Mr. Brandt"

"What the f*** are you doing? Putting up a f***king hammock?"

"Well, you told us to enjoy ourselves..."
Old 03-30-2024, 05:09 PM   #8666
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lightly tapping nail into tree with broken arm

"Oh, hi Mr. Brandt"

"What the f*** are you doing? Putting up a f***king hammock?"

"Well, you told us to enjoy ourselves..."
And the thing is, they give a little back-story...just a touch..."The World's Most Notorious Fighter.'

And presumably he killed his friend in a match because he lost control.

This is an interesting story. But they basically barely touched on it and then it flew away.

They didnt want to make it more serious than it was.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:38 PM   #8667
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Ferrari was pretty good. Adam Driver solid. Decent mix of his race fanaticism and personal life. Shailene Woolley was horribly miscast but her part was small enough it didn’t bother me much. Oh and the special effects were laughably bad but were a very small part of the movie.

Anyone But You was awful. Really awful. I chuckled once. Otherwise just terrible. I’d say it was Sydney Sweeney’s worst performance but I’ve seen Madame Web.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-30-2024 at 10:11 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:55 PM   #8668
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I watched the original 50s version of 12 Angry Men Monday night. It was so good I watched it again last night. Made in the 50s but wow, does it hold up well today. The characters, the dialogue, the slang, the camera work, the story. Everything is awesome about it. I watched the HD version and I swear it could have been made recently, it was so well shot. Amazing movie.
One of if not my absolute fav. Have watched it 100 times will end up watching it 100 more.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:23 PM   #8669
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Roadhouse was a solid 6.5/10. Enjoyable no-brainer nonsense. The piano line made me chuckle
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:50 PM   #8670
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I coincidentally picked up Officer and a Gentleman on Blu Ray this week and after the passing of Louis Gossett Jr. I decided to watch it for the first time. Absolutely amazing film, Richard Gere and Debra Winger were fantastic but Gossett Jr absolutely stole the show, he deserved the Oscar for this role. This movie was a huge hit finishing #3 at the box office in 1982 only behind ET and Tootsie. I think the Simpsons writers were big fans of this film, they riffed on it so often that when I was watching i recognized scenes that I saw Homer and Marge do.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:41 AM   #8671
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
For local film fans - 2001: A Space Odyssey is playing at the Plaza! This MUST be seen on a big screen a least once. I'm taking my wife and offspring and hoping they'll be both amazed and massively confused.

I remember seeing it at the old Studio 82 theatre when it was first released. Worth seeing on the big screen indeed.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:24 AM   #8672
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Dream Scenario starring Nicholas Cage was good. Entertaining all the way through, well written and acted. These high concept allegory movies can often fall too much in love with being clever or making Big Statements, or they're either too on the nose or too confused about what they're actually saying, but this one worked very well. It's an easy watch, stays pretty light even when dealing with heavy topics, it's thought provoking but not preachy. An A24 film, for those who care.

Would recommend if the premise looks interesting to you. Essentially, this is a good version of the film promised in the trailer.

Also rewached Godfather 2. Still worthy of it's reputation, a fantastic film. I actually strongly prefer it over Godfather 1.
Just watched this last night. Thought Cage was awesome.
Felt overall it was missing just a little something- and it turned out a bit darker then I expected but it's a decent watch for sure
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:11 PM   #8673
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cage was great, but Dream Scenario did absolutely nothing for me. I think the only reason I made it all the way through was cause I picked up a crossword puzzle toward the end.

Minor spoiler
Spoiler!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 05:25 PM   #8674
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And the thing is, they give a little back-story...just a touch..."The World's Most Notorious Fighter.'

And presumably he killed his friend in a match because he lost control.

This is an interesting story. But they basically barely touched on it and then it flew away.

They didnt want to make it more serious than it was.
Yeah. With a different direction and bit more investment in cast it could have actually been a really good movie if it followed that thread a bit more and had a story that mattered at all. But it didn’t so it wasn’t that’s alright.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:34 AM   #8675
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decided to watch the entire Alien franchise to prepare for the new movie coming out this year. Yesterday was Alien, still holds up as one of the best sci Fi horror films ever. Everything about it is excellent, and it also has one of the best 4k transfers ever, the movie has never looked better.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 08:05 AM   #8676
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might be fun to watch them in chronological order.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 08:12 AM   #8677
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally watched Poor Things this weekend. My wife loved it, I thought it was ok.

Also watched Road House, I enjoyed it and my wife thought it was ok.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:31 AM   #8678
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Jules the other night. Pretty good. Charming!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:34 AM   #8679
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I rewatched the first Alien recently, it was almost brand new to me, don't think I've seen it since the mid 80s. Prometheus is my favorite of the franchise by quite a margin, it's not just a scifi horror film, so much more.

Godzilla/Kong was crazy and goofy, it's not good and it's not absolutely terrible. Just so far out there and wacky, I don't know who would actually like this.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:29 AM   #8680
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I rewatched the first Alien recently, it was almost brand new to me, don't think I've seen it since the mid 80s. Prometheus is my favorite of the franchise by quite a margin, it's not just a scifi horror film, so much more.
I think Prometheus gets a bad rap as I quite like it but you are the first person I think I have ever seen make such a declaration.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: