Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 02:14 PM   #861
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Friedman seemed pretty certain Ottawa would be going hard after Tanev.

Zadorov didn't seem too thrilled with Vancouver and vice versa.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 02:17 PM   #862
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

Zadorov didn't seem too thrilled with Vancouver and vice versa.

Huh?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 02:22 PM   #863
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I feel like the Flames could've had a good series against either Nucks or Preds, mayb enot win but go 6-7 against both
konradical is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to konradical For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 02:23 PM   #864
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Huh?
Weren't there were issues, especially when he first arrived? Usage/ice time related?
Old 05-01-2024, 02:30 PM   #865
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the initial whispers after having Z on the team for about 3 weeks were that his desired $ and term for an extension was of no interest to the Canucks (shocker, I know!) which people may have assumed that meant that they had issues, but I think it was more about not wanting him on his terms, similar to the Flames balking and ultimately shipping him out for assets.

Things change fast though and maybe Canucks have come around to his ask or maybe Big Z got a taste of the Arbutus Club and will take a pay cut just to have access to it!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 02:35 PM   #866
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Weren't there were issues, especially when he first arrived? Usage/ice time related?
When he first arrived he was a god send because Soucy was hurt and we were thin as #### on the back end. In that same time Juulsen also showed he could play regular minutes.

After Soucy came back we had a log jam because Juulsen had shown he probably deserved to be in the line up. So there was a week or two of planning until Soucy got hurt again.

After Soucy came back the second time, Zadorov hit a rough patch and there were some unverified rumours that the Canucks may try and flip him again. He came out of the line up a couple times after a bad game and people made assumptions. The reality was he a bottom four guy in a log jam at the bottom four. Juulsen had earned playing time and so people had to cycle out to make that work. What isn't talked about is guys like Cole and Soucy also saw days off in this time.

I think I'd be more comfortable with Zadorov at 4 - 5mil for 3 or 4 years than Hronek at 8+ for 5 - 8 years. What Hronek is apparently asking for is insane considering how he performs away from Quinn Hughes.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-01-2024, 02:36 PM   #867
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Zadorov is all business. If Vancouver doesn't make a lucrative offer, he probably gives them the Calgary treatment and tests free agency before circling back to see if they can match.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:39 PM   #868
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
After Soucy came back the second time, Zadorov hit a rough patch and there were some unverified rumours that the Canucks may try and flip him again. He came out of the line up a couple times after a bad game and people made assumptions.
Thats what I was thinking of. Thank you
Old 05-01-2024, 02:47 PM   #869
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think Zadorov is all business. If Vancouver doesn't make a lucrative offer, he probably gives them the Calgary treatment and tests free agency before circling back to see if they can match.

Seems likely.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-01-2024, 03:03 PM   #870
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Correct. Teams were unwilling to pay assets for a player they can sign for free in three months with the cap going up.

That being said I don't expect it to be much over 5. I do think a team will be stupid and give him 4+ years again though.
Tanev's value is more acute in the playoffs than the regular season. If no one was paying up to add him for a run, I don't think they're paying up to sign him long term
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:38 PM   #871
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by konradical View Post
I feel like the Flames could've had a good series against either Nucks or Preds, mayb enot win but go 6-7 against both
The team that was at a .670 pace since November before it shipped out Tanev and Hanifin?

Absolutely. With the way Markstrom was playing when the games were meaningful, they'd take either team the distance.

Too bad only 1 of our UFAs wanted to stay on a reasonable contract.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 04:40 PM   #872
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Vancouver is in a weird spot. They look like they have lots of cap space, but Hughes and Soucy are their only D-men under contract.

Are they going to be able to sign 3 top four D-men without paying UFA prices?
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 04:45 PM   #873
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Vancouver is in a weird spot. They look like they have lots of cap space, but Hughes and Soucy are their only D-men under contract.

I've been assured by my boys in VanCity that yes, they will be able to, because everyone wants to be in Vancouver.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 04:50 PM   #874
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

Oh it's not just Dmen. Canucks have key players up and down the line up that are UFA this off season. While on the forward side they're going to make a big push to re-sign Joshua, after that there are guys in the AHL who look ready to make the jump to the NHL to fill bottom six roles that are going to open up. On the defense side, you're right that they're going to have to dip into UFA.

Right now they're probably hoping to re-sign three of Hronek, Myers, Cole and Zadorov. Hronek and Zadorov can very easily price themselves out of what the Canucks are willing to spend on them. Hronek in particular is apparently looking for north of 8 which is just not a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I've been assured by my boys in VanCity that yes, they will be able to, because everyone wants to be in Vancouver.
The last dman we know left dollars on the table to come to Vancouver as a UFA was Tyler Myers. So they may be right but, the monkey paw curls.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-01-2024, 05:03 PM   #875
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh it's not just Dmen. Canucks have key players up and down the line up that are UFA this off season. While on the forward side they're going to make a big push to re-sign Joshua, after that there are guys in the AHL who look ready to make the jump to the NHL to fill bottom six roles that are going to open up. On the defense side, you're right that they're going to have to dip into UFA.

Right now they're probably hoping to re-sign three of Hronek, Myers, Cole and Zadorov. Hronek and Zadorov can very easily price themselves out of what the Canucks are willing to spend on them. Hronek in particular is apparently looking for north of 8 which is just not a thing.

The last dman we know left dollars on the table to come to Vancouver as a UFA was Tyler Myers. So they may be right but, the monkey paw curls.
Myers was paid like a top 20 D-man when he signed in Van. Not sure he left any of his own dollars on the table.

Going rate for a guy who can hang on the top pairing is going to be around $7-8 million this offseason. Just look at Hanifin.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:05 PM   #876
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Myers was paid like a top 20 D-man when he signed in Van. Not sure he left any of his own dollars on the table.

He did. He had bigger offers from two teams. He wanted to be close to Kelowna.

Quote:
Going rate for a guy who can hang on the top pairing is going to be around $7-8 million this offseason. Just look at Hanifin.

Sure. I'll give Hronek 7. I can stomach 7.5. 8 or up and no thank you. I'd rather pay Tanev for 3 years.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-01-2024, 05:09 PM   #877
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by konradical View Post
The Flames pre trading Tanev, Hanifin & Lindholm or current?
The current team would be golfing by now with the Jets.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:45 PM   #878
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Zadorov is going to be a contract that ages badly...I want Tanev back not Zadorov, if we are talking about the Flames.

I would be happy with the Canucks giving him 5x5
I'll gladly take both back but Tanev is always an injury risk with the way he plays. Remember we all wanted him benched before we traded him.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:50 PM   #879
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope you enjoyed your trip to BNA because you're about to get smashed.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:41 AM   #880
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe I am cheering for the Canucks to win a series but here we are.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote