Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #221
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I highly doubt that. First of all Nenshi has a lot of actual substance, and isn't all about the rhetoric like Obama is, and neither does he have to contend with a completely idiotic Congress.
Obama has actually done some of the things he said he was going to do. You were against those things as he campaigned for them though, so it's not surprising that you would basically ignore them now.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #222
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Obama has actually done some of the things he said he was going to do. You were against those things as he campaigned for them though, so it's not surprising that you would basically ignore them now.
One could argue that health care reform was necessary, and that he promised to do it, which he did. On the other hand, one could argue that the bill that was passed is such a massive fata that it would be better off if they hadn't done anything.

Back on Topic: Nenshi had a big smile in his inauguration picture on the front of this mornings paper. Looks like we have Canada's happiest mayor. (Another big contrast with Toronto)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #223
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
One could argue that health care reform was necessary, and that he promised to do it, which he did. On the other hand, one could argue that the bill that was passed is such a massive fata that it would be better off if they hadn't done anything.

Back on Topic: Nenshi had a big smile in his inauguration picture on the front of this mornings paper. Looks like we have Canada's happiest mayor. (Another big contrast with Toronto)
It's awesome he's always so happy, I had a chance to see parts of the inauguration and he was already cracking a few jokes here and there with some of the alderman like Hodges. It should go a long way to mending the council and some of the bad blood over the last several years. Happier council = more productive council?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #224
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
One could argue anything. Making a good argument is the separator.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #225
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
It's awesome he's always so happy, I had a chance to see parts of the inauguration and he was already cracking a few jokes here and there with some of the alderman like Hodges. It should go a long way to mending the council and some of the bad blood over the last several years. Happier council = more productive council?
Any workplace happier = more productive.
Except on the Rigs. There, more cocaine = less raging.

I hope Nenshi is an excellent facilitator.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #226
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Anyone got a video or coles notes?
I didn't see it, but I'm sure it will be on Strombo's website in a day or so.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #227
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Not to be a downer, but unfortunately there's still an element of the problems that plagued last council. Although, arguably, it has been diminished.

- Colley-Urquhart still in Ward 13

- Andre Chabot still in Ward 10 - worst all-around alderman on last council

- Hodges still in Ward 1 - seems willing to work with others based on comments since the election, but still suspect due to generally being grossly out-of-touch for much of the last decade

- McIver (Ward 12) gone, but basically replaced by Demong (Ward 14), based on early indications

- Jury still out on Pootmans (Ward 6) and Keating (Ward 12). Not sure what to make of them, but I'm semi-optimistic about Keating being receptive of others' ideas and working with them.

- Ray Jones still blending in with the council chambers furniture while representing Ward 5.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #228
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Not to be a downer, but unfortunately there's still an element of the problems that plagued last council. Although, arguably, it has been diminished.

- Colley-Urquhart still in Ward 13

- Andre Chabot still in Ward 10 - worst all-around alderman on last council

- Hodges still in Ward 1 - seems willing to work with others based on comments since the election, but still suspect due to generally being grossly out-of-touch for much of the last decade

- McIver (Ward 12) gone, but basically replaced by Demong (Ward 14), based on early indications

- Jury still out on Pootmans (Ward 6) and Keating (Ward 12). Not sure what to make of them, but I'm semi-optimistic about Keating being receptive of others' ideas and working with them.

- Ray Jones still blending in with the council chambers furniture while representing Ward 5.
I'm not plugged in to all the goings on wrt City Council. Could you elaborate on Urquhart and Chabot? What issues are they out of line on? Do you think Farrell is a good Alderman? Any opinions welcome.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #229
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very interesting and encouraging that 5 of the 6 newcomers to council have Master's degrees.

http://communities.canada.com/calgar...r-council.aspx

Last edited by Bunk; 10-26-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #230
Ramsayfarian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
I didn't see it, but I'm sure it will be on Strombo's website in a day or so.
It's up now.

http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/videos.html?ID=1625373693
Ramsayfarian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ramsayfarian For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #231
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernon View Post
I'm not plugged in to all the goings on wrt City Council. Could you elaborate on Urquhart and Chabot?
Colley-Urquhart's not bad with some things. Crime and public safety is her wheelhouse and she's not bad on transportation issues. However, she also was prone to focussing too much on small potatoes stuff whilst big things (like cost overruns, procurement, etc.) festered. She wanted The City to spend money it didn't have and do something they basically had no business doing in obstructing and circumventing a private land deal as a means to keep Shawnee Slopes golf course from being developed. She was also entrenced on one of the sides of the council that was split on ideological grounds, which was another of the main problems this last term. Add that to still sitting on council whilst in the middle of a campaign for the provincial legislature, and DCU hasn't racked up the most impressive of resumes.

As for Chabot, to put it bluntly, he's as dumb as a post. Jones, (now-former alderman) Fox-Mellway and Hodges were/are ghosts, Connelly was pompous and arrogant, and McIver played dumb. However, there's a big difference between lazy, entitled, or playing dumb and demonstrating a complete lack of intelligence. Chabot is the last one. He just doesn't get it. Even the basic procedural stuff flies over his head. If you've ever watched a council session, he has to ask the dumbest questions and clarify the simplest things about the motions being put forth. It's apparent that a lot of the time he doesn't even understand what it is he is voting on, which is scary. He just doesn't bring anything of substance to council.

During the Plan|It public hearing, a friend of mine spoke in front of council where he touched on his Master's thesis on the economic and social impacts of transportatation options as they relate to occupations among the poorer classes and land use among the poorer areas of cities. He laid it out pretty clearly, I thought. Then when it came time for questions, he got into a long debate with Chabot where it was clear that Chabot didn't understand the first thing about the topic (even though it basically had the most relevance to the ward he represents), and Chabot used circular logic to imply that the solution to the problem was the problem itself. I heard on the radio today that Chabot will be the chair of the land use and transportation committtee. God help us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernon View Post
Do you think Farrell is a good Alderman? Any opinions welcome.
I like Farrell's niche on council. She has brought some good initiatives to council and the public's attention, and is a good advocate for things like higher architectural and urban design, as well as civic pride. By the same token, although I'm glad McIver isn't mayor, I do see a lot of value in his niche (or rather, the one he was purported to fill) on council too, that of budget watchdog, and I do hope someone fills that void. That said, in the context of my earlier list, Farrell probably should be included as well. I'm not a fan of some of the tactics she employs, and she was entrenched in the other "camp" on the split council. She, in my speculation, voted no on the airport tunnel as retaliation for not getting support from others on some of her initiatives.

Hopefully Farrell can turn it around and work with others a little better while also doing what she does best, being a voice for the things I mention above.
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #232
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile in Toronto...

http://bit.ly/cq3ZZk

Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #233
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
I heard on the radio today that Chabot will be the chair of the land use and transportation committtee. God help us.
That's pretty disheartening. Not quite the start to council I wanted to hear.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #234
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As for Chabot, to put it bluntly, he's as dumb as a post. Jones, (now-former alderman) Fox-Mellway and Hodges were/are ghosts, Connelly was pompous and arrogant, and McIver played dumb. However, there's a big difference between lazy, entitled, or playing dumb and demonstrating a complete lack of intelligence. Chabot is the last one. He just doesn't get it. Even the basic procedural stuff flies over his head. If you've ever watched a council session, he has to ask the dumbest questions and clarify the simplest things about the motions being put forth. It's apparent that a lot of the time he doesn't even understand what it is he is voting on, which is scary. He just doesn't bring anything of substance to council.
I've talked to Chabot on numerous occasions about ward issues and he doesn't strike me as unintelligent at all. Sure he may be out of his league discussing planning issues with your buddy that has a masters but he's beloved in his ward for a good reason.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #235
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

^It was just one example, and everyone at the hearing seemed to understand it but Chabot.

I was being a little harsh, but I do honestly believe that Chabot is out of his league on a lot of things. Just my perception, and your perception is valid as well of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #236
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

^don't really know him, but at least he's asking the question.

I'd rather he ask a question and look stupid than keep silent because's he's afraid of looking stupid.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #237
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

It wasn't so much the questions, it was the conclusions that Chabot arrived at. It was as if he didn't grasp the simplest elements of the speech. I'm glad my friend and others (including Mr. Nenshi) were asked questions and given the chance to clarify things.

Here's a brief synopsis from my friend:

Quote:
I was really surprised at Chabot. My presentation was on lower-income households and how their expenditures on housing and transportation change based on residential location. Basically I was making the argument that suburban housing is in fact, more expensive than living in the inner city for low-income households, when transportation expenditures are taken into account, and that the cost of owning an automobile is a significant burden on lower-income households. I argued that creating a city with improved transit can lessen this burden. Chabot basically asked me a question so he could state that transit doesn't serve all the needs of lower income households and basically implied that automobile ownership was the solution. He completely missed the point. He basically suggested that the problem (automobile ownership) was the solution. I should sit him down one day and explain to him who his constituency is.

Last edited by frinkprof; 10-26-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #238
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

In ward 10, 2 out of 4 of the candidates don't seem to have any platform or campaign page. Other than Chabot, the only one that seemed to put anything out there was Nargis Dossa. On the page that is apparently her campaign page there are things that really give me a weird feeling about her. In 'focus of involvement' section for example, one of her bullet points is:
Quote:
To increase self-esteem
A quick glance at her twitter and it looks like a train wreck. Chabot may not be the best alderman in the city but it appears he was the best candidate running in ward 10.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #239
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same case with Ward 5. As much as I would like something different, no one really stepped up to actually challenge Jones.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #240
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmm. I hope we can get a productive City Council thread going. I really don't keep up on civic politics enough.