Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #61
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think so now that they traded and signed Drouin. Where are they going to find the money to sign Radulov?
Depends on what they do with Galchenyuk?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #62
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
There's quite a few good players to choose from. Vegas won't be completely terrible.
It appears they may end up icing a better team than the Canucks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #63
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Capfriendly updates their tool with the real lists this AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #64
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
The Ducks have a deal with Vegas, both Vatanen and Manson are not protected because of this.
Unless LV is getting a massive return I'm not clear why they made a deal when they could have had one of these two defenseman. It's a crapshoot that any draft picks they accumulate in this trade will ever be as good as Vatanen or Manson. I will wait until the trade is announced but IMO being a divisional opponent the Ducks would be one of the last teams LV should have done any favours for.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #65
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow Bobby Ryan, James Neal, Vatanen, Thornton, Bogosian all available.

It's slightly painful seeing goalies like Raanta and Grubauer just sitting there too.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #66
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Unless LV is getting a massive return I'm not clear why they made a deal when they could have had one of these two defenseman. It's a crapshoot that any draft picks they accumulate in this trade will ever be as good as Vatanen or Manson. I will wait until the trade is announced but IMO being a divisional opponent the Ducks would be one of the last teams LV should have done any favours for.
Word is LV is getting Vatanen in the deal.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #67
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Some notable players left unprotected, Brad grab one or two of them.

Manson, Vatanen, Koekkoek, Hagelin, Mrazek, Methot, Burrows, B. Ryan, Brock Nelson, Cizikas, Josh Bailey, Ryan Strome, CDH, James Neal, Sissons, Eric Staal, Demers, Kronwall, Eakin, Pickard, Bogosian.
You understand that they are not available to other teams, right? The Flames would still have to pay market price for them.

Let's say, for example, that the Flames want Methot. The current situation is that vegas can take their pick of the available players from Ottawa - that may or may not be Methot, it's whoever they like best. So in order for them to pick Methot and trade him to the Flames, the Flames would have to offer an asset that Vegas likes better than Methot (or any of the other available Ottawa players).

Otherwise, Vegas would just keep Methot (or whoever they like best).
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #68
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Totally agree with you, , if Vegas is told by the Ducks not to Vatanen and Manson, than Vegas is getting a massive return.

On a side note with Fleury, Mrazek, Raanta and Grubauer all available, Vegas has better goaltending and goaltending depth than the Calgary Flames

Last edited by Par; 06-18-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #69
jaydub74
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There are definitely some good players being left exposed, I'm surprised LV is so willing to make side deals to Not take player x from these rosters. Rumours out there have LV collecting a lot of 1st round picks in exchange for not taking these players, but why? The player LV drafts is essentially a lotto ticket, when some of these players are sure things... I don't really understand. I would be more inclined to take the player (especially if they have term) rather than take a mid to high first round pick in exchange.

That said, perhaps they're looking to compile picks and move up the draft, but that only gets them one player. Its not like the top picks are generational or anything..

LATE: appears I wasn't beaten to it.

Last edited by jaydub74; 06-18-2017 at 09:12 AM.
jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #70
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Aren't Kulak and Shinkaruk waiver eligible this year? Think this is both of their 4th seasons... Even if not and its next year thats a pretty limited window of control unless you think they are already NHLers. Seems more likely they would go after a signed NHL player from a value perspective even if only to flip them later.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #71
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Wow Bobby Ryan, James Neal, Vatanen, Thornton, Bogosian all available.

It's slightly painful seeing goalies like Raanta and Grubauer just sitting there too.

Given how much the Rangers were asking for Raanta they must have a pretty substantial deal in place with LVK to not pick him.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #72
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub74 View Post
There are definitely some good players being left exposed, I'm surprised LV is so willing to make side deals to Not take player x from these rosters.
they'd be mad not to. Look at Columbus, they gave them a 1st and LV is still walking away with Murray. From an asset point of view, it's a no-brainer to make a few of those kind of deals.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #73
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are definitely some good players being left exposed, I'm surprised LV is so willing to make side deals to Not take player x from these rosters. Rumours out there have LV collecting a lot of 1st round picks in exchange for not taking these players, but why? The player LV drafts is essentially a lotto ticket, when some of these players are sure things... I don't really understand. I would be more inclined to take the player (especially if they have term) then take a mid to high first round pick in exchange.

That said, perhaps they're looking to compile picks and move up the draft, but that only gets them one player. Its not like the top picks are generational or anything..

How to win in the modern NHL: Build through the (entry) draft.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #74
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Aren't Kulak and Shinkaruk waiver eligible this year? Think this is both of their 4th seasons... Even if not and its next year thats a pretty limited window of control unless you think they are already NHLers. Seems more likely they would go after a signed NHL player from a value perspective even if only to flip them later.

We have Brouwer, a signed NHL player
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #75
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Wow. Didn't think Joe Thornton would be available. He's still a number one center.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #76
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
There are definitely some good players being left exposed, I'm surprised LV is so willing to make side deals to Not take player x from these rosters. Rumours out there have LV collecting a lot of 1st round picks in exchange for not taking these players, but why? The player LV drafts is essentially a lotto ticket, when some of these players are sure things... I don't really understand. I would be more inclined to take the player (especially if they have term) rather than take a mid to high first round pick in exchange.

Don't they have to stock their farm teams as well, or is that separate?
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #77
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Wow. Didn't think Joe Thornton would be available. He's still a number one center.
He's also a UFA.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #78
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah when you look at their options vegas will have a solid D good goaltending and solid frwd depth. Scoring will be the tough part... Thornton would be a huge pickup for them
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #79
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mrazek left unprotected...? That's a bit of a headscratcher.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #80
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Someone needs to waste their Sunday and update the list with contract status. Years remaining, etc....

Couldn't find an easy way to quickly matchup the list to a site like CapFriendly. Sorry for being so smugly confident.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 06-18-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post: