Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #1141
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm wondering if Treliving just watched old WWF spots of Mr. Perfect.

"Yeah, he can catch his own pass, and he always gets strikes in bowling!"
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #1142
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I was only pointing to the fact that teams can actually succeed with a rotation of starting goalies, and I don't think acquisition cost is relevant to that point. I realize that you are fixated on draft picks that are spent every year, but there comes a point where the value of the asset outweighs the <20% chance to draft a NHL player. I would argue that the accumulation of picks is not as important at this stage of their cycle as it was three years ago.

In any event—and as I have pointed out to you several times previously now—a more permanent solution in goal over the past two years would have cost Hamilton, Tkachuk or probably both. That is not a price I would be prepared to pay, and it would seem that neither is Treliving. He is trying to build a complete team, not just resolve goaltending.
You are over reacting to a benign question. I don't think you can argue acquisition cost matters in one scenario, but not in the other. As you correctly point out, he is trying to build a championship team not just resolve goaltending.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #1143
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What about one or the other?
Gillies, sure. Bennett, no.

But if you think the Devils would let Schneider go for Gillies, well let's just say I doubt it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #1144
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm wondering if Treliving just watched old WWF spots of Mr. Perfect.

"Yeah, he can catch his own pass, and he always gets strikes in bowling!"
Hahaha

"He wrestles Grizzly bears and swims with Great Whites in his free time. He taught Babe Ruth to play Baseball"
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyBilko For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #1145
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Gillies, sure. Bennett, no.

But if you think the Devils would let Schneider go for Gillies, well let's just say I doubt it.
I would think Gillies and then we add a few other pieces. Say 16th OA and another prospect.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #1146
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
On the radio they were suggesting it would probably take Bennett or more or an asset like that to get Schneider. You do that deal EE? I don't think a lot of us would

I would have done Bennett for Schnieder straight no problem.
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #1147
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
I would think Gillies and then we add a few other pieces. Say 16th OA and another prospect.
This has been beaten to death.

Management clearly believes that we already have our 'Goaltender of the Future.'

They just need to buy some time for them to be ready.

We are still rebuilding.

If we spend huge assets on a goalie then we have to accept the fact that we're going to have to let our in house goalies go for peanuts.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #1148
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ha ha I'm sure Treliving made inquiries to Montreal as well to see what the cost would be to get Price. The guy is supposedly always on the phone talking to other GM's. I don't recall any credible sources that stated Schneider was available though. I know the 960 guys talked about Schneider but again that was no different than fans here that assume because the Devils aren't very good they would trade their franchise goaltender to the Flames so they could assume the Flames predicament of continually plugging the starter role with stop gaps and go years with mediocre to poor goaltending.

Widely speculated? By who? I've not read this anywhere. If you have a link go ahead and prove it.

Shero himself gave the kiss of death remarks to Lebrun by saying he's not actively shopping him but no one is un-tradeable. I'm not digging around for a video link as it is readily available on TSN if you want to track it down.

A GM isn't going to be anymore forthcoming than that with a player unless they have demanded a trade.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #1149
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
You can't say that with any certainty whatsoever. It was certainly speculated that Schneider was available for the right price and even members of our local media presumed as much. Raanta was definitely available as he is now on the Vegas unprotected list. I'd rather give up a 2nd, 3rd and 7th (as the Oilers did) and get "the guy" for the foreseeable future than see the team constantly moving out 2nd round picks and decent prospects for short term stop gaps. Sure Raanta could fizzle out but the chances of him being much worse that Smith or Elliot is pretty minute...
What makes you think that Raanta could be "the guy," and moreover given what has been reported, how do you figure that the acquisition cost would have not at least included this year's first round pick?

I remain highly sceptical that Raanta would have provided a long term solution, and I am very doubtful that he provides much of a tangible upgrade on Mike Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #1150
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Craig Custance mentioned the Red Wings were shopping Petr Mrazek, due to having to expose him in the expansion draft, and the Flames showed interest before ultimately deciding to go with Mike Smith to win now.
I wonder who Flames fans would prefer: Mrazek or Smith?

I would rather have Mrazek.

They both have risk IMO, but I feel like Mrazek has greater potential to pay off in both the short term and long term.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #1151
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can't say that with any certainty whatsoever. It was certainly speculated that Schneider was available for the right price and even members of our local media presumed as much. Raanta was definitely available as he is now on the Vegas unprotected list..
Not true. Just because a player is unprotected doesn't mean they are available. Rangers could have a side deal for someone else to be picked. Given The King's age, it is reasonable that they don't want to lose Raanta if they think he's the next guy up in net.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #1152
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Shero himself gave the kiss of death remarks to Lebrun by saying he's not actively shopping him but no one is un-tradeable. I'm not digging around for a video link as it is readily available on TSN if you want to track it down.

A GM isn't going to be anymore forthcoming than that with a player unless they have demanded a trade.
So, your evidence is Shero's ambivalence? What a hot take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #1153
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

They both have risk IMO, but I feel like Mrazek has greater potential to pay off in both the short term and long term.
Short term, I would rather have Smith.

Longer term, I don't want either.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #1154
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was another article yesterday that said Mrazek was also exposed due to attitude problems:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mraz...4.html?src=rss

Quote:
Part of the reason Mrazek’s luster has faded could be due to deportment issues that can be traced to contentious off-season contract negotiations (they settled on a two-year, $8 million deal; Mrazek will be a restricted free agent in 2018).
Mrazek was not happy the Red Wings were unable to trade Howard in the off-season and let the club know in less-than-tactful terms.
Mrazek has always had a swagger and air of confidence, which appealed to the Red Wings. But sometimes he’s too cocky for his own good, some in the organization believe. He became increasingly difficult to coach last season, they said.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #1155
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting interview with Gaudreau on the Flames website in Vegas, but Johnny said he was excited to have Smith for overtime making it like a 4 on 3.

Could make the Flames even more dangerous than they already are.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:00 AM   #1156
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
I would have done Bennett for Schnieder straight no problem.
Schneider is 31 and was outplayed by his no name backup last year, Bennett turned 21 today and other than consistency has shown he can be a stud in this league. Cory Schneider will likely be retired before Bennett reaches his prime.

Plus Schneider and his 5 x $6m contract as a Flame would also likely spell the end of our other G prospects as well, so lets just trade Parsons and Bennett for Schneider and flip Gillies for a pick.

It really drives me nuts that fans have no patience with the young players

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 06-21-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 04:37 AM   #1157
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

Just get both.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #1158
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't wait to see what Mike Smith wears for his gear. I'm hoping its going to be the same as when Elliot first came and started with the #allredeverything. I wonder if his current black pads work well with the Flames Colors.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #1159
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
It really drives me nuts that fans have no patience with the young players
And to make matters worse, will happily ship those players out for older goaltenders who are being shopped because they aren't performing elsewhere.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #1160
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

After giving some time to lament and seeing the passion and character of Mike Smith I am excited to see what he brings to the Flames, especially his ability to move the puck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote