Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #1061
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Remember when Smith was actively in the conversation to be the third goalie for Team Canada? Good times.
He was on the roster in 2014
Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #1062
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This, plus take a look at almost every team's fan site other than Montreal and see what they say about their own goalie's consistency. Every fan base, it seems, thinks their goalie is too inconsistent. This includes guys almost everyone here would take in a heartbeat, like Talbot, Schneider, Rask, etc. Or guys that some people here were high on at various times like MAF and Bishop.
Yup. I would also add that relying on the views of the fans of an outgoing player are maybe not the most unbiased available. There isn't a fanbase in sports that doesn't turn on a player, and lower their evaluations of him, the moment he is traded.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #1063
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I was reading Coyote fan comments and one of their biggest gripes about Mike Smith has been his inconsistency since 2013.

Before last season, they felt that his contract was unmovable and they were resigned to having him remain on the team until the contract's conclusion.

So while he played well last season, most fans were happy to see him go.
Yeah, how he ever made Team Canada in 2014, is a complete mystery.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #1064
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yup. I would also add that relying on the views of the fans of an outgoing player are maybe not the most unbiased available. There isn't a fanbase in sports that doesn't turn on a player, and lower their evaluations of him, the moment he is traded.
"I don't know what you're talking about"

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #1065
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fairly controversial acquisition.

The most important criticism seems to be choosing Smith, who we had to give up assets for, over Mason who could have been signed. Mason, is by some, a much better statistical goalie.

Obviously we will have to see for who and what Mason signs for but its a bold move by Treliving.

To anyone saying that the Flames are taking half measures. What exactly would you call trading for an established #1 goalie over taking a risk on a young unproven backup? Flames have gone full measure here. They decided that the assets they would have had to trade for a young unproven guy were more valuable and that the established goalie will be a fixture in the crease for the next two years.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #1066
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Won't Mason be looking for 4+ years though? That's exactly what I wanted to avoid. We have some good looking prospects that should be challenging for the starters role in a couple years.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #1067
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not exactly thrilled with Smith, but I will give him a chance. That said, i'm elated that Elliott won't be back. I was getting pretty scared there. I thought he might actually be on his way back here. I'll gladly take Smith over that.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #1068
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of teams with younger goaltenders were also probably looking to take advantage of the Flames when we are in a position of weakness. I can't imagine Treliving would be interested in making a trade like that or signing a UFA to significant term.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #1069
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"I don't know what you're talking about"

Remember when we used to have a 'Caption Contest?'

That photo deserves a Caption Contest.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #1070
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Fairly controversial acquisition.

The most important criticism seems to be choosing Smith, who we had to give up assets for, over Mason who could have been signed. Mason, is by some, a much better statistical goalie.

Obviously we will have to see for who and what Mason signs for but its a bold move by Treliving.

To anyone saying that the Flames are taking half measures. What exactly would you call trading for an established #1 goalie over taking a risk on a young unproven backup? Flames have gone full measure here. They decided that the assets they would have had to trade for a young unproven guy were more valuable and that the established goalie will be a fixture in the crease for the next two years.
I was leaning Mason myself, based on age and the fact he was a UFA. But I talked to a guy who knows goalies a lot more than I do and he was firmly of the view that Smith >> Mason (and this was way before the trade).

2 years is all we need out of the guy, so if Mason needed more, that's a no go as well.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #1071
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was leaning Mason myself, based on age and the fact he was a UFA. But I talked to a guy who knows goalies a lot more than I do and he was firmly of the view that Smith >> Mason (and this was way before the trade).

2 years is all we need out of the guy, so if Mason needed more, that's a no go as well.
Mason is much like Brian Elliott, hes had so many opportunities and just never put it together and seized one.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #1072
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other thing is that it assumes that Mason would actually sign here. We've seen that Calgary isn't easy to attract free agents to - unless you really overpay.
So if that's your main plan you are leaving a lot up to chance.
With a trade - you get your guy.
You can say the Flames should have picked Mason over Smith, but we don't know if Mason would have picked the Flames.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #1073
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
The other thing is that it assumes that Mason would actually sign here. We've seen that Calgary isn't easy to attract free agents to - unless you really overpay.
So if that's your main plan you are leaving a lot up to chance.
With a trade - you get your guy.
You can say the Flames should have picked Mason over Smith, but we don't know if Mason would have picked the Flames.
Very good points, further to which the acquisitions of Elliott, Johnson and now Smith seems to indicate that the people 'in the know' within the Organization are of the opinion that we already have our Long-Term goaltenders 'in house.'

Just not yet.

This seems obvious to me and I might be wrong, but bringing in these stop-gaps seems more like the Org buying guys in the system some time while not selling out the current crop with craptacular goaltending.

It seems like they've got their man, so overpaying a UFA long-term just isnt in the cards.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #1074
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I am at the "wait and see" point now. Just like how I didn't like the Elliott trade, eventually there were enough good arguments that I accepted a neutral outlook.

I think people have made good arguments on both sides. There are reasons to think this could be a good or bad move.

I think the main thing that disappointed me was that I was hoping for a long term solution and not another stop gap move. I think goalies have more of an effect on team chemistry than people realize. They are like the bass player of the band quietly influencing everything without making it obvious. Teams often adjust their play based on the goalie's style and how much confidence they have in the goalie. I think there will be an adjustment period again next season, and probably again in 2 seasons when Smith likely moves on.

Having said that, if the Flames think Gillies is the next starter, having a goalie that plays a similar style to him could help.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #1075
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still wait and see

I do find myself defending Smith though...only really against the other options

If Smith was the backup in Pitts, Washington, or NYR last season he would probably have some pretty stellar numbers IMO

Its no coincidence the guys many of you seem to love played on really good teams and had fairly easy workloads. I bet Smith puts up better numbers in Calgary than MAF in Vegas.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #1076
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason I wanted MAF was because he's been a number one goaltender, has won in the playoffs and most importantly only had two years left on his deal so his contract ends when hopefully a goaltender from within the system is at least ready to be a 1B or contend for the 1A spot. Smith's contract lines up exactly the same which is why I like this better than signing a free agent like Mason and the cost wasn't overly high. He only has to be as good as he was last season in Phoenix for this trade to work out okay for the Flames so hopefully he meets or even exceeds that play.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #1077
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it even possible for him to have a worse start to the season or playoffs than Elliott? I doubt it
Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #1078
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Is it even possible for him to have a worse start to the season or playoffs than Elliott? I doubt it
I think the Oilers should sign Elliott out of thanks.

The Points he handed to them single-handedly put them in the playoffs.

They should erect a statue outside of Roger's Place of Brian Elliott, the hero who ended Edmonton's Playoff Drought.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #1079
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am for one incredibly excited about Mike Smith and for me it's the eye test as opposed to advanced stats (both have merits and should be used together imo) I see a big athletic goaltender (yes who is 35 but I don't sweat that.) who is intense and seems to have a real desire to win.

Smith likely knows this is going to be his best shot at winning now. He also buys plenty of time to let the young goalies have time to be the man in their perspective leagues.

Also if he can give you 55-60 starts I think it keeps the Flames from having to spend as much on a backup allowing them to have just a little more cap room to fill other needs.
Hoop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hoop27 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #1080
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think the Oilers should sign Elliott out of thanks.

The Points he handed to them single-handedly put them in the playoffs.

They should erect a statue outside of Roger's Place of Brian Elliott, the hero who ended Edmonton's Playoff Drought.
The entire team was pretty awful for the first few months of the season and the Grossmann experiment pretty well sealed the deal for the Oilers in game one. Flames were one of very few teams to lose to an Oilers backup goaltender last season. Clearly the Flames need to be better prepared next season for the battle of Alberta.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: