Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Which goaltender do you hope will be starting for the Flames in the 2017–18 Season?
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 11 1.76%
Mike Condon (UFA) 5 0.80%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 51 8.16%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 219 35.04%
Jon Gillies 33 5.28%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 73 11.68%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 10 1.60%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 3 0.48%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 25 4.00%
Steve Mason (UFA) 14 2.24%
Ryan Miller (UFA) 22 3.52%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 19 3.04%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 18 2.88%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 78 12.48%
David Rittich 4 0.64%
Mike Smith (Trade) 35 5.60%
Cam Ward (Trade) 5 0.80%
Voters: 625. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #601
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mason can be a little bit of a head case. I don't trust him as a starter. Especially after this last post season.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #602
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Mason can be a little bit of a head case. I don't trust him as a starter. Especially after this last post season.
Me neither. He'd have to be paired with another 1a/b goalie
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #603
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is pretty much no goalie that we can realistically acquire who doesn't come with pretty big question marks at this point.

So for me it comes down to acquisition cost.

Unless Flames management is ridiculously confident that they can unearth the next Jones/Talbot/Murray with guys like Raanta or Grubauer, then just go get a guy who's handled a starters workload with above average results and won't cost too much (or nothing) to acquire.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #604
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
There is pretty much no goalie that we can realistically acquire who doesn't come with pretty big question marks at this point.

So for me it comes down to acquisition cost.

Unless Flames management is ridiculously confident that they can unearth the next Jones/Talbot/Murray with guys like Raanta or Grubauer, then just go get a guy who's handled a starters workload with above average results and won't cost too much (or nothing) to acquire.
Halak.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #605
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Halak.
Yeah, you have to think he's an option simmering on the back burner should other options fall apart, get too expensive or don't materialize.

He's a sneaky good goalie.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #606
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, you have to think he's an option simmering on the back burner should other options fall apart, get too expensive or don't materialize.

He's a sneaky good goalie.
Yep and should be able to send one of Bouma or Stajan back the other way. Makes sense cap-wise for both teams I would think.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:52 PM   #607
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Mike Smith is old, average, overpaid, and apparently expensive to acquire.
At this point, I hope it's anyone but Smith.
I just don't think the gap between him and Elliott is large enough to justify the acquisition cost, age, and cap hit.

Mason makes more sense. Him, Elliott and Raanta seem like the most reasonable options at this point.
I'd take Smith only if it's a cap dump type deal, whereby the Flames pick up a second or third round pick plus Smith in exchange for a Bouma or Chiasson type asset.

I actually like the player but that cap hit is massive for an old man.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #608
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Miller.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #609
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my mind its now Smith, Halak, or Lehner
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #610
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I'd take Smith only if it's a cap dump type deal, whereby the Flames pick up a second or third round pick plus Smith in exchange for a Bouma or Chiasson type asset.

I actually like the player but that cap hit is massive for an old man.
Why would the Coyotes do that? He played well for them last season. They aren't motivated to dump his cap hit, add an asset and take back bad cap in return.
Makes no sense.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #611
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Why would the Coyotes do that? He played well for them last season. They aren't motivated to dump his cap hit, add an asset and take back bad cap in return.
Makes no sense.
A couple of years ago they were talking buyout' mind you there is only two years left on the deal now so maybe the desire to get Rid of him is less now.

He had average stats on a bad team, he's had average stats on a bad team for years except for one year exceptional elite stats. Could just be that he's been in front of such a bad team that his stats hav been hurt but based on stats alone, you are not talking about one of the elite goalies in the league. In fact Elliot has better stats and resume than Smith.

I really don't know where the Coyotes are with Smith, whether they want to move him or keep him, I'm just stating what I think is a good trade from a Flames perspective.

No team should be over paying for a goalie at that age with that kind of a cap hit. His game could completely fall off next season. Whoever trades for him is rolling the dice, and the payment should reflect the risk.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #612
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if anything Smith probably wants out of Arizona. He sounded pretty frustrated at the end of last season.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:35 AM   #613
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think if anything Smith probably wants out of Arizona. He sounded pretty frustrated at the end of last season.
Yeah, they were sellers and firmly in a rebuild. Can't see him wanting to stay.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #614
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't want Saros after that showing.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #615
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Don't want Saros after that showing.
Overreact much?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #616
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

This may not be popular but I'd like to see Elliott back at minimum as a back-up.

He is inconsistent. But I think he's one of the best out of that lot. I don't think Fleury is necessarily better than him, as both can be capable of getting hot or not at the right / wrong times, and Elliott would likely be cheaper.

In the final game, when the entire city of Calgary and most people on this site were calling for Elliott's head after that extremely weak goal, I found it a bit aggressive. He let in a really soft goal, and it happened to be at a terrible time. But we saw how earlier in the season he could be really, really good too. I'm just not sure he should be given up on so easily.

Is it possible he can be more consistent?

I think so.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #617
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
This may not be popular but I'd like to see Elliott back at minimum as a back-up.

He is inconsistent. But I think he's one of the best out of that lot. I don't think Fleury is necessarily better than him, as both can be capable of getting hot or not at the right / wrong times, and Elliott would likely be cheaper.

In the final game, when the entire city of Calgary and most people on this site were calling for Elliott's head after that extremely weak goal, I found it a bit aggressive. He let in a really soft goal, and it happened to be at a terrible time. But we saw how earlier in the season he could be really, really good too. I'm just not sure he should be given up on so easily.

Is it possible he can be more consistent?

I think so.
I think if it didn't cost a 3rd he would be back for sure. But it will cost a 3rd so unless he's willing to come back for low and I mean really low term and dollars I just don't see it.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 06-08-2017 at 08:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #618
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I think if it didn't cost a 3rd he would be back for sure. But it will cost a 3rd so unless he's willing to come back for low and I mean really low term and dollars I just don't see it.
Funny that people are overreacting about losing a 3rd rounder if they sign Elliot but are willing to trade for Fleury and Smith which will cost a lot more than a 3rd. If Treliving believes Elliot is the best option, losing a 3rd rounder won't stop him.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 11:59 PM   #619
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Funny that people are overreacting about losing a 3rd rounder if they sign Elliot but are willing to trade for Fleury and Smith which will cost a lot more than a 3rd. If Treliving believes Elliot is the best option, losing a 3rd rounder won't stop him.
Will Smith cost 'a lot more than a 3rd' though? And I don't see anyone overreacting.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:11 AM   #620
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Will Smith cost 'a lot more than a 3rd' though? And I don't see anyone overreacting.
If you believe Friedman, Smith will cost a lot to obtain, a high draft pick and a prospect. IMO anyone complaining at all about losing a 3rd rounder in order to get a solid goalie is overreacting. A 3rd rounder has a 30% chance of playing 50+ games in the NHL. Nothing to worry about.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote