Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #81
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see Derek Stepan getting exposed. $6.5 million is a big contract but the guy is a first line centre.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:58 PM   #82
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I can't see Derek Stepan getting exposed. $6.5 million is a big contract but the guy is a first line centre.
For some reason, TSN automatically leaves him exposed. I couldn't not pick him when doing their simulator.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #83
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
For some reason, TSN automatically leaves him exposed. I couldn't not pick him when doing their simulator.
Then don't use their simulator. It's clearly inferior to the CapFriendly one.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #84
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Button predicts the Golden Knights will select Bouma. I don't see why they would use their selection on a guy they could likely acquire for almost free.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #85
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Button predicts the Golden Knights will select Bouma. I don't see why they would use their selection on a guy they could likely acquire for almost free.
But couldn't all of our exposed players be acquired for almost free? They have to choose 1, and I think that statement applies to all of them.

This expansion draft has certainly highlighted, to me anyway, just how poor our depth is.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #86
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
But couldn't all of our exposed players be acquired for almost free? They have to choose 1, and I think that statement applies to all of them.

This expansion draft has certainly highlighted, to me anyway, just how poor our depth is.
I don't think that this statement is entirely accurate. The guys who are most typically brought up in expansion draft coverage are Bouma, Brouwer, Kulak, and Stajan, but if we think that's our primary depth past the protected guys, we're mistaken.

Much of the Flames' depth in 2016-17 came from guys who Vegas would be more reluctant to sign/pick, because they're free agents. In addition, you aren't considering exempt guys.

These are some notable guys who fit into those criteria:

- Matthew Tkachuk
- Kris Versteeg
- Alex Chiasson
- Michael Stone
- Mark Jankowski

And then you get to Stajan, Brouwer, Kulak, and Bouma, all of whom are depth guys. I just think it's disingenuous to ignore exempt guys and FAs when considering that depth

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #87
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post

Like all teams the Flames will be exposing players that LV would be doing them a favour taking but guys like Kulak or Shinkaruk at least have the possibility of upside and are not players the Flames will be hoping they pick. When you look at LV's cap situation and the fact that they will have to build somewhat of a competitive roster I would pick up Brouwer before even considering Bouma who's not going to add anything offensively at all. Even Stajan has a lot more to offer than Bouma as I don't believe the LV has to overly worry about the salary of these guys. They obviously aren't going to take bad contracts from every team but they will for sure on some teams if they feel a guy offers intangibles. There are some truly much worse bad contracts out there like Benoit Pouliot for instance who's making $8 million over the next two years and playing at a replacement player level. I think Brouwer and Stajan are much more useful than that.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #88
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

People say Vegas isn't going to have any trouble reaching the floor, so steering clear of overpaid players will be no problem for them.

While that's true for next year, one thing to consider is that a lot of the salary they will be taking on to get to the floor won't be coming with term, so staying above the floor could be more of a challenge for Vegas in years 2 and 3 than it will be in year 1 if they don't have some high paid players with term in the fold as well.

The fact that Brouwer has 3 more years on his deal might actually make him MORE attractive to Vegas as opposed to LESS attractive. It all depends on how they do in free agency I suppose.

It's for the same reason I worry that Vegas will save the Kings from that terrible Brown contract, so I hope I'm wrong.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #89
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tried to see what would happen if Vegas was a cap team. Here's how I did, spending as close to the cap as possible. I think this team would be ok.

Mike Cammalleri - Derek Stepan - David Perron
Jason Chimera - Calle Jarnkrok - Lee Stempniak
Sven Andrighetto - Boone Jenner - Troy Brouwer
Dale Weise - Nic Dowd - Tom Kuhnhackl
Extras: Iiro Pakarainen, Ben Smith, Reid Boucher, Joel Armia

Sami Vatanen - Jared Spurgeon
Dan Hamhuis - Paul Martin
Kevan Miller - Braydon Coburn
Chris Wideman
Extras: Luke Schenn, Trevor van Riemsdyk, Nathan Beaulieu, Ryan Sproul

Roberto Luongo
Philipp Grubauer
Anders Nilsson

I think that could be a playoff team.
Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
LA
SJ

Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St Louis
Winnipeg

There's 11 teams. Name one that your proposed team would be even close to being as good as (keeping in mind Dallas has already added a top goalie and will, in all likelihood add one, if not 2, good defensemen)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #90
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
People say Vegas isn't going to have any trouble reaching the floor, so steering clear of overpaid players will be no problem for them.

While that's true for next year, one thing to consider is that a lot of the salary they will be taking on to get to the floor won't be coming with term, so staying above the floor could be more of a challenge for Vegas in years 2 and 3 than it will be in year 1 if they don't have some high paid players with term in the fold as well.

The fact that Brouwer has 3 more years on his deal might actually make him MORE attractive to Vegas as opposed to LESS attractive. It all depends on how they do in free agency I suppose.

It's for the same reason I worry that Vegas will save the Kings from that terrible Brown contract, so I hope I'm wrong.
One would have to think they would select a guy like Brouwer before Brown given a longer, higher paying contract and worse stats than Brouwer. Brown seems like a bad way to simply take on cap space as they could easily just sign some more useful UFA's over the next few seasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #91
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tried to see what would happen if Vegas was a cap team. Here's how I did, spending as close to the cap as possible. I think this team would be ok.

Mike Cammalleri - Derek Stepan - David Perron
Jason Chimera - Calle Jarnkrok - Lee Stempniak
Sven Andrighetto - Boone Jenner - Troy Brouwer
Dale Weise - Nic Dowd - Tom Kuhnhackl
Extras: Iiro Pakarainen, Ben Smith, Reid Boucher, Joel Armia

Sami Vatanen - Jared Spurgeon
Dan Hamhuis - Paul Martin
Kevan Miller - Braydon Coburn
Chris Wideman
Extras: Luke Schenn, Trevor van Riemsdyk, Nathan Beaulieu, Ryan Sproul

Roberto Luongo
Philipp Grubauer
Anders Nilsson

I think that could be a playoff team.
Not with that weakness down the middle. And the best wingers are third tier at most. The defence is the best feature but even there, not frightening or anything. Calgary beats that team handily, and Calgary didn't make it in by that much.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #92
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stepan, Jenner? Vegas won't be so lucky, not without deals being made.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #93
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That would be a pleasant surprise.
It's no Brouwer, but it's still a contract that's underperforming.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #94
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

If Vegas is really worried about the floor a few years from now, they can easily throw money at top-end UFAs. A few $6-7M contracts for guys like Radulov, Shattenkirk (2017), Nash, Stastny, Green (2018), Spezza, Panarin (2019) and the floor won't be a problem, plus you add a player that contributes positively to your lineup. Vegas's biggest issue is likely going to be finding top-6 calibre forwards, and they're going to have a ton of middle-6 guys that are better options than Brouwer or Brown on better contracts.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #95
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
If Vegas is really worried about the floor a few years from now, they can easily throw money at top-end UFAs. A few $6-7M contracts for guys like Radulov, Shattenkirk (2017), Nash, Stastny, Green (2018), Spezza, Panarin (2019) and the floor won't be a problem, plus you add a player that contributes positively to your lineup. Vegas's biggest issue is likely going to be finding top-6 calibre forwards, and they're going to have a ton of middle-6 guys that are better options than Brouwer or Brown on better contracts.
That's not a sound strategy.

There is no guarantee those players even reach free agency, and if they do there is no guarantee that they sign with you.

Cannot count on that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #96
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That's not a sound strategy.

There is no guarantee those players even reach free agency, and if they do there is no guarantee that they sign with you.

Cannot count on that.
OR just do what Arizona did and get assest for bad contracts. You can count on ####ty contracts and teams needing help
Old 06-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #97
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
OR just do what Arizona did and get assest for bad contracts. You can count on ####ty contracts and teams needing help
Yep. There's always going to big contracts to take in with some incentive. Only need a couple of those at home at any given time. No reason to select a player in an expansion draft because they have term despite mediocre performances/history.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #98
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Id really like to see BT be creative with this exp draft.

Something like giving our 1st for vegas to take brouwer

And sending us back bobby Ryan with 2 mil retained and a goalie (rantaa or Grubaur).

Assuming that Ryan is exposed

Last edited by Moneyhands23; 06-05-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #99
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope this expansion draft helps the Flames make some cap room.
The 2019 free agency is looking to be a strong one.
Not saying the Flames should build a team that way. But teams with cap space that year will be rewarded.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #100
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
The 2019 free agency is looking to be a strong one.
Every UFA group looks good two years in advance. The best players will be signed long before they hit free agency.