Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #221
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Trading Brodie now would also be a bad case of selling low.

Not a good way to improve your team.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #222
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
you have got to be kidding
That's right where I stopped reading.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #223
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Exactly what is Brodie providing that Kulak, and or Jokipakka aren't ATM?

This has nothing to do with his last game, but the entire season.

Brodie does not leave a crater of a hole because there are replacements in the short term and we have an abundance of players who have the potential to as good as Brodie is playing now.

Brodie last season doesn't get traded. Completely agree. But Brodie this season is replaceable within the system. I strongly believe that. Perhaps the player isn't as flashy but honestly, that flash is what's getting Brodie in trouble. That and his refusal to continue skating while making an outlet pass.

I don't know what shifts you guys are seeing that make Brodie a player that you don't trade no matter what, but I don't see it.

As for Backlund, He's our best Center, he is not more of a tradeable asset as that leaves the Flames in rough shape down the middle with Bennett slowing in his progression the last few weeks.

Long term, Kylington, Andersson, Wotherspoon slide into 6/7 roles while Kulak and Jokipakka shore up the 2nd and 3rd LD.
Kulak is barely an NHL level player, and I doubt he will ever be more than a 6th or 7th defenseman, he just don't think the game well enough to play higher in the lineup.

I was expecting more Jokipakka this year but he has not been good.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #224
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A clear sign of high intelligence.

Brodie is a 'must have' not a 'nice to have'. If you think Kulak & Jokipaka are suitable replacements, there really isn't any point in carrying the discussion forward. You're pretty much on your own on this one.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #225
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
Dreger: "There's more talk around Gabe Landeskog" and #Avs, "which won't be surprising to some. But the talk seems to be developing." 1040
Old 01-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #226
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have not been impressed with Brodie this year and I even feel he was overrated on this board prior to this season, but wow to the Kulak and Kevin comment.

As many have mentioned, no reason to believe at this point that what Brodie is showing now is what we should expect versus what he showed the last two seasons. And even if you look at just Brodie this year, he's still providing more than Kulak and Kevin........... and is not "easily replaceable". Very crazy thought.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #227
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
Dreger: "There's more talk around Gabe Landeskog" and #Avs, "which won't be surprising to some. But the talk seems to be developing." 1040
Its unfortunate that the flames are most likely not part of this "talk"
Old 01-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #228
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Its unfortunate that the flames are most likely not part of this "talk"
No it isn't. He is another LW.
Is he better than Gaudreau?
Is his contract better than Tkachuk?
Do you want that much money on the 3rd line, or to push down Tkachuk who is playing well in his current role?

Spend elsewhere:
top 6 RW
or after expansion, #1 Goalie and #4 D
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #229
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I suggested the Flames look at Strome a month back when he was getting healthy scratched.

The issue with the Islanders is they don't make good trade partners with the Flames.

The Islanders don't want to "start over." Tavares is 1.5 years away from UFA, if he perceives the Islanders are headed to another rebuild, it will be even more likely he leaves. In that case they may as well trade Tavares now.

If anything, they will want to package Strome with other assets/players to improve their team now and that means a top 6 forward that can play with Tavares. Of course that might not be possible, but Strome has gone hot recently with 6 points in his last 6 games so his stock might rise again.

If the Islanders do decide to trade him for prospects would Klimchuk or Manigpane be of interest to the Islanders with prospects like Barzal, Beaulivier, Dal Colle, Ho-Sang, and Bellows already in the system? Doesn't seem likely.

The Islanders do seem to be thin on d-men and goalie prospects right now, so the pieces that might interest them the most are Kylington, Andersson, Hickey, Fox, and Gillies. Depending on how you feel about those prospects, they might be too much to give up for a reclamation project like Strome.

if I was Treliving, I would offer a conditional 3rd round pick that could improve to a 2nd based on Strome's performance (similar to the Yakupov deal). But as mentioned, the Islanders probably explore a ton of different options before they take that deal.

Also as a side note, the Islanders aren't losing Ladd in the expansion draft unless he waives his NMC.
You make some excellent points Sureloss. With Ladd in mind, NYI is vulnerable to lose a good player, such as Nelson or Lee. I think Strome is the least of their concerns for the expansion draft, and the way he's playing for the past two seasons, they might believe removing him from the roster makes them a better team for Tavares.

In terms of packaging players, I just can't see it happening because that means the trading partner now has several assets that require protection. So let's just say they trade Strome + Lee + De Haan + 1st for Landeskog, that means Colorado has to find a way to protect 3 more players, in addition to their current guys (ie, Soderberg, Duchene, McKinnon). I can't see too many teams taking on a package of expansion vulnerable players right now.

And as you mentioned, Islanders do have some young forwards in the system. They might see guys like Da Colle, Ho-Sang, Barzal as their rebuild pieces for Tavares. And if they don't get better with their upcoming core, perhaps they do trade Tavares and try again. Or rebuild with Tavares extended to a massive contract.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #230
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I hate doing these but Brodie for Kucherov? Is that an even trade?
Brodie for Palat is more equitable, and addresses TB's impending salary crunch. Problem is, Palat is a LW.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #231
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A bit of a fanboy response
Yeah, no.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #232
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman's speculation that LA might be on Landeskog/Duchene looks to be gaining momentum:

Adrian Dater @adater
Avs had three pro scouts looking at Muzzin and Martinez closely last night, and they both finished -4. Just one game but...
Old 01-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #233
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This has nothing to do with his last game, but the entire season.

Brodie does not leave a crater of a hole because there are replacements in the short term and we have an abundance of players who have the potential to as good as Brodie is playing now.

Brodie last season doesn't get traded. Completely agree. But Brodie this season is replaceable within the system. I strongly believe that. Perhaps the player isn't as flashy but honestly, that flash is what's getting Brodie in trouble. That and his refusal to continue skating while making an outlet pass.

I don't know what shifts you guys are seeing that make Brodie a player that you don't trade no matter what, but I don't see it.

As for Backlund, He's our best Center, he is not more of a tradeable asset as that leaves the Flames in rough shape down the middle with Bennett slowing in his progression the last few weeks.

Long term, Kylington, Andersson, Wotherspoon slide into 6/7 roles while Kulak and Jokipakka shore up the 2nd and 3rd LD.
So Kulak and Wotherspoon 2 guys that are 6-7Dmen at 24 years old, Jokipakka who is a 5-7 Dman at 25 will somehow be able to fill in for our 26 year old legit top 3 Dman in Brodie.

Backlund who is 27 and having his best season to date and will command a 5-6 year deal north of $5M per just before his 29-30 year old season. The guys the Flames replace Backlund with are 22 year old Monahan, 20 year old Bennett and 22 year old Jankowski only one of whom hang played in the NHL.

Simply ludicrous to suggest that Brodie is an expendable asset at all. Kylington and Andersen are nice prospects but Mitch Wahl was also a nice prospect once upon a time. The Flames have 4 proven NHL centers right now and a 22 year old AHL rookie all-star in the pipeline. The Flames have 3 legit top 4 D on the team today with a couple players that look like they could be good in 2-4 years.

The Avs D is Johnson and Barrie with a bunch of crappy vets like Tyutin, Beauchiman and some younger kids. The Flames D without Brodie is very similar with just Gio and Hamilton with crappy vets like Wideman and Engellend and some younger fringe guys.

Brodie also has 3 years left on a very favorable deal for Calgary where Backlund is a year away from cashing in huge
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #234
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
you have got to be kidding
Great answer! How about you provide something of use to the conversation.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #235
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
A clear sign of high intelligence.

Brodie is a 'must have' not a 'nice to have'. If you think Kulak & Jokipaka are suitable replacements, there really isn't any point in carrying the discussion forward. You're pretty much on your own on this one.
I have no issue of being the lone person on this thought.

All the criticism I'm receiving is fine as well. But I still have yet to read a legitimate argument other than the typical childish posts.

Again, I'm not saying Brodie is useless.

I'm saying that his play-style is handcuffed by this system and that there are more suitable replacements to fit what this team needs.

What Brodie is providing the Flames ATM IS replaceable by what we have in Kulak and or Jokipakka because Brodie is not able to play like Brodie has been known to.

He has struggled with the system.

A bounce back year is not necessary, a team that plays his type of game and he's right back to being a budding Norris candidate.

Other teams know this and know his talent, which makes him an incredible trading chip.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #236
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Friedman's speculation that LA might be on Landeskog/Duchene looks to be gaining momentum:

Adrian Dater @adater
Avs had three pro scouts looking at Muzzin and Martinez closely last night, and they both finished -4. Just one game but...
Dean Lombardi is a wizard. Should always consider in the mix to landing a big name player.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #237
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, no.
Little bit.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #238
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Maybe Bennett is the most tradeable assset
He probably is. I like Bennett, but there's nobody in terms of talent, ceiling, contract etc that probably returns more.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #239
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Adrian Dater @adater
Guess they didn't want to move to Colorado?
Old 01-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #240
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I have no issue of being the lone person on this thought.

All the criticism I'm receiving is fine as well. But I still have yet to read a legitimate argument other than the typical childish posts.

Again, I'm not saying Brodie is useless.

I'm saying that his play-style is handcuffed by this system and that there are more suitable replacements to fit what this team needs.

What Brodie is providing the Flames ATM IS replaceable by what we have in Kulak and or Jokipakka because Brodie is not able to play like Brodie has been known to.

He has struggled with the system.

A bounce back year is not necessary, a team that plays his type of game and he's right back to being a budding Norris candidate.

Other teams know this and know his talent, which makes him an incredible trading chip.
So two players averaging 14 mins a night and who can't even crack the lineup on a nightly basis are going to all of sudden be counted on to cover Brodie's 23 mins a night?

You say you haven't read a legitimate argument yet, well you have yet to supply a legitimate argument as to how Kulak and Jokipakka can fill in for Brodie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread