Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #741
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like Juuso Valimaki.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:08 AM   #742
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
My god. Jim Benning talking would not give me confidence if I was a Canucks fan.

Interview on TSN mock entry draft. Dim is a very appropriate nickname.
He's rumoured to be going to take Lilgegren. The way his eyes go skyward when answering a question is unsettling.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #743
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it were my choice unless by some miracle Glass or Suzuki were still there at #16 I would trade down and pick Isaac Ratcliffe or Robert Thomas.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #744
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I'm taking Lias Andersson over anyone not named: Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Vilardi, Glass, Pettersson, Liljegren or Necas.

I have him in the same tier as: Mittelstadt and Makar

And a definite step ahead of: Valimaki, Suzuki, Rasmussen, Tippett, Foote or Tolvanen (who I don't like very much).
I agree that Lias Andersson would be a good pick for the Flames.
However, I don't think he's that far (if at all) ahead of the bolded.
I'd be fine with any them though.

I'm really just hoping the Flames don't pick another large player without offensive upside (Greg Nemisz). A top 16 pick should have top 6/top 4 upside. Very few 3rd line players in the league are worth mid-first round picks in terms of trade value.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #745
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Doug Armstrong says the blues are looking to move up for the right guy. They have 20, 27 and 51. I could see us being potential suitors for swapping firsts and picking up a second if our favourites are gone or there's someone still likely at 20 that we like.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #746
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
Doug Armstrong says the blues are looking to move up for the right guy. They have 20, 27 and 51. I could see us being potential suitors for swapping firsts and picking up a second if our favourites are gone or there's someone still likely at 20 that we like.
16 for 27 and 51? Maybe 16 for 20 and 51 if somebody is there they really like?
Old 06-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #747
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
Makes sense 16 for 20 and 51. Treliving recoups a 2nd round pick and just falls 4 spots.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #748
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Makes sense 16 for 20 and 51. Treliving recoups a 2nd round pick and just falls 4 spots.
If someone they really like is there at 16, I hope the Flames use the pick. If they have a number of players ranked the same, then trading down to get picks 20 to 51 makes sense.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #749
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A player who appeals to me is Erik Brannstrom. He's been described as the second coming of Kimmo Timonen. Yes, please. He's generally ranked 20 overall or a bit later.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #750
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
A player who appeals to me is Erik Brannstrom. He's been described as the second coming of Kimmo Timonen. Yes, please. He's generally ranked 20 overall or a bit later.
He really stands out when you watch highlight packages, especially compared to Lljegren; I think Brannstrom will be the better player.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #751
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hey guys seems like we forgot there's a an entry draft tomorrow. Nobody even made an entry draft contest lol!

Fan960 just did their mock draft with Loubo and Cosentino and had us taking Vesalainen

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...no-loubardias/

Haven't researched this draft nearly as much as I usually do. But here's the guys I find the most interesting based on my limited research in no particular order

Owen Tippet - speedy goalscorer. questions on his play away from the puck

Timothy Liljegren - like a more highly thought of Kylington seem to be the comparison

Cal Foote - Big, tough, mean. Some questions on his skating

Juuso Valimaki - Big two-way Finnish defenseman already playing in the WHL. Seems like a great fit

Kristian Vesalainen - Cosentino and Loubo have us taking this kid. Skilled winger led the U18s in scoring

Lias Andersson - sounds like he has a mature game but some doubt his offensive potential

Ryan Poehling - went to Uni early and thus put up mediocre numbers

Nick Suzuki

Martin Necas - skilled two-way forward, needs to put on a bit of bulk

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-22-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #752
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm calling a trade down or Klim Kostin. Loubo is always wrong. Member when he called Horvat at 6.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #753
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm calling a trade down or Klim Kostin. Loubo is always wrong. Member when he called Horvat at 6.
I think trading down is possible. However Treliving has already said they'll probably stay at 16. And with how tight the rankings are I think there's such a good chance somebody in the Flames top 10 falls to them at 16.

Klim Kostin seems super risky. Anybody who's read my thoughts on previous drafts knows I consider Russians to be extra risky. Making it even riskier and less likely IMO is the fact we don't have any Russians on our team to take him under their wing. There's certain teams that don't downrank Russians but I'm not convinced we're one of them. I think another team that is known for drafting Russians or has a lot of Russians on their team will take a chance on him.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #754
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am going with Kristian Vesalainen, based on pretty much nothing other than the stuff I read here.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #755
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tippet falls and the Flames take him
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:33 PM   #756
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I think trading down is possible. However Treliving has already said they'll probably stay at 16. And with how tight the rankings are I think there's such a good chance somebody in the Flames top 10 falls to them at 16.

Klim Kostin seems super risky. Anybody who's read my thoughts on previous drafts knows I consider Russians to be extra risky. Making it even riskier and less likely IMO is the fact we don't have any Russians on our team to take him under their wing. There's certain teams that don't downrank Russians but I'm not convinced we're one of them. I think another team that is known for drafting Russians or has a lot of Russians on their team will take a chance on him.
With GMGM at the helm in Vegas and 3 1sts in the top 15, and they already have Russians in the organization, I do not see how Kostin falls past them with their 2nd or 3rd picks.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #757
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Oh man just listening to these draft previews and they just butcher Liljegren's name. You'd think most people who've followed European NHLers for a while would realize that "J" in a lot of languages sounds like our "Y". From the Swedish highlights of him it sounds like

Lil-Ye-Green

Whereas Bob Mackenzie, Loubo, Cosentino, etc call him

Lil-JehGren
Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #758
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Im thinking Flames take Necas
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #759
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Lias Andersson Highlights #23 (for his club team) and #15 (for Sweden) and #26 (for Sweden)

He scores a pretty bad goal on Ortio actually (bad for Ortio)

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-22-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:03 PM   #760
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Will round 1 be streamed online somewhere (legally)?

Thanks.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017 nhl draft , 2017 nhl draft rankings , nhl entry draft