Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default USA Car Insurance - Help

Ok I'm looking at getting car insurance with GEICO, for California. On the Bodily Injury Liability, the max insurance I can seem to get is $100k/$300k but I'm told I want insurance in the millions so I don't get my ass sued to bankrupcy by privatized health care and whatnot.

So, I'm wondering for your CP Yanks, what is your coverage for that? And what else is particularly important? I'm just selecting max coverage for everything cause I have no idea and don't want to have any surprises.

Also, for transplanted Canadians to the USA, how did you get your drivers license? I need a car (and thus insurance) to take the driving exam, but I need a USA drivers license to get car insurance. What are my options? Any recommendations for a temp insurance so I can drive to take the exam, or do I have to borrow a friends car (and do I have to be added to said friends insurance?)?

I plan on giving GEICO / DMV / my Canadian insurance a call tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm probably no help at all, but I have the bare minimum of everything.
My insurance is progressive based out of Washington.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My advice is stay away from Geico.

Chronic underinsurers. If you have decent credit and a good driving record go to American Family Insurance. Have had nothing but positive experience with them.
Best advice I can give policy wise is to make sure you have rental car coverage.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have 100/300 and I've never worried that it wasn't enough. I've also heard bad things about Geico. I have Mercury, have had them since college when I realized I was way overpaying for AAA. I switched my homeowners insurance to them a few years back and got more discounts on both policies. I got a new car last year and financed part of it so I added gap insurance to my auto policy for a small cost. My policy includes rental car, coverage for uninsured drivers and underinsured drivers (I've had to use both). Make sure you are covered if you get hit by uninsured/underinsured.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
, but I need a USA drivers license to get car insurance.

Who told you this? My wife went to 4 years of school and 2 years not going to school and had car insurance with her Alberta Drivers license. We only just recently got her an Oklahoma License because her employer required a background check from the OSBI and she had to obtain a U.S. license to do that....
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Who told you this? My wife went to 4 years of school and 2 years not going to school and had car insurance with her Alberta Drivers license. We only just recently got her an Oklahoma License because her employer required a background check from the OSBI and she had to obtain a U.S. license to do that....
who was that with?

I was talking to a GEICO representative, but they might be clueless.

Ice/Dis - I was looking at GEICO based on a few recommendations. I'm obviously just insuring myself and not a family, would you still recommend AFI Dis? I'll check it out. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have standard 100/300, but also have Personal Liability Umbrella that is home and car for an additional $1M (1.5M?) coverage

i think its $10 a month extra on top of my home and car insurance

Also, a Canadian who moved to the US, my CDN drivers licence was valid for 6 months i think, then i just did the written exam to get my new drivers licence - that might differ from state to state

Last edited by Canada 02; 01-13-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
who was that with?

I was talking to a GEICO representative, but they might be clueless.

Ice/Dis - I was looking at GEICO based on a few recommendations. I'm obviously just insuring myself and not a family, would you still recommend AFI Dis? I'll check it out. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.
State Farm and i have to call them right now cause i just purchased a vehicle so i will ask them ...
Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just talked to them and they said that if you have international drivers license in good standing then they can use that to give you insurance....

Hope that helps..
Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
My advice is stay away from Geico.

Chronic underinsurers. If you have decent credit and a good driving record go to American Family Insurance. Have had nothing but positive experience with them.
Best advice I can give policy wise is to make sure you have rental car coverage.

I was just reading this thread (for no real reason...I guess just curiosity!) and noticed this line. Do they do a credit check so you can get car insurance down there?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used Geico when I first moved to the US. It was fine for me. Now I'm with All State. They're fine too. I take out the maximum insurance for liability (the minimum is shockingly low). Like Canada02, I carry an umbrella policy of $2M just to cover myself.

As for a drivers license - I think the Canadian one is valid for 6 months, but if the move to the US is a semi-long-term one (1 year +) getting a California drivers license might be worth it. Be prepared to take a drivers test (both written and in car) and the hassles of dealing with the DMV.

To get one (a driver's license) you need to provide proof of why you're in the US. A student/work visa and your passport is sufficient. If you have a SSN, bring that too, if not, just be prepared to deal with DMV people who cannot problem solve unless the answer is one they've done 20 times during training.

I've never heard of a credit check being required to be insured. Perhaps that's unique for the company DFF goes with. Where in CA are you moving to?
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clever_Iggy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll definately check out those (All State, State Farm). So many recommendations, and with insurance I'm hoping I get a non-sleezy one so I don't get screwed in case something happens. (I have very little faith in US insurance if you can't tell, mostly because of all the tales I hear of US Health Care and even simple accidents bankrupting people)

I moved to the South Bay region of California (currently in San Jose, maybe moving soon by not far, i.e. Santa Clara or Sunnyvale) a few months ago and since I do plan on being there for a few years, I've gone through a couple of driving exam practice exams since I figure they just recycle those questions anyways.

To Slava's question, they also apparently will reduce my insurance for a higher GPA, so I'm told to provide proof of my marks lol.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in the East Bay.

With the number of (legit) insurance companies available (State Farm, Geico, All State, Progressive, Nationwide, etc...) there really is no excuse to go to a sketchy one. My advice is to max out your policy, definitely get big-time coverage for under/un-insured motorists and look into taking out an umbrella coverage policy either with your car insurer or home/renters insurance.

To differentiate themselves, insurance companies have a slew of offers and incentive programs available to new/veteran drivers. Shop around and perhaps you'll find one that really entices you (accident forgiveness, reward for long-term safe driving, low deductible for new drivers, etc...). You may need to get your driver's abstract from Canada sent down to take advantage of safe drivers discount.

The drivers test is pretty straight forward. The only tricky part of the exam, that I remember, was the speeds for different streets/zones. I grew up with km/h so I had no idea what the speed limit was for an unmarked, single lane, rural highway in miles/h. Just review that and you're good to go.

Also, with the driving test, make sure your car is in working order - lights all work and especially that the windshield isnt cracked at all. We had a little crack that was about 7-8 inches long and below the windshield wiper line and our car was deemed unfit. When I tried to explain the logic that the windshield wiper itself was higher than the crack and therefore would be more in my line of vision than the crack itself, the tester (of national origin that seems contrary to good driving) just got confused. Obviously they didnt cover that in "Driver Tester Testing 101." Sorry.../rant. The only reason I say this is it seems like the wait list for California is 2+ weeks.

As for borrowing a friends car. I doubt there's much of an issue there. I would phone ahead (I laugh as I type this because the DMV phone lines are...interesting). Regardless of what they say, get your friend to go with you just in case.

Good luck and lets hope the Flames see the Sharks in the Western Conference Final this year so we can represent Red and White at the Shark Tank.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clever_Iggy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

State Farm is the worst. They have very high rates, they raise rates in almost arbitrary ways and if you ever actually need to file a claim, prepare for the fight of your life. My mom retired from there and even she wouldn't insure her car or home with them.

One of my dad's best friends was a salesman for Farmers Insurance. I went to him to get insured and he directed me to Mercury. He said I'd get the best service and best prices. I've been hit by two uninsured drunk drivers and two underinsured drivers. I made one phone call and an adjuster got my car from the PD impound lot, took care of those charges the day after the accident. It took about an hour for them to arrange for my rental car. Oh yeah, I got hit by a school bus a couple of years ago, they handled everything on that as well with only one phone call. I'm glad I pay low rates, but I'm more pleased that I get really prompt and thorough service when I need to file a claim.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
Acid Rush
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I had Farmers Insurance because a friend recommended it. Then I switched to All State then Travelers (it's from Citigroup).

You don't really need a temp insurance if you are driving your friend's car. They do check for the registration and proof of insurance of the car that you will be using to take the exam. I got my license by taking the driver's exam then practice driving for a few days then took the test.

I would suggest you call a couple/three insurance providers and compare their rates. The cheapest, I think is, 21st century but you have to have been driving for 10 years (and insured). Hope this helps.
Acid Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #16
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

21st Century was taken over by AIG (we've all heard of them, right?), they are running out of money and getting ready to do major layoffs. I know someone who works in one of the So Cal offices and they're pretty sure they won't have a job for much longer.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I was just reading this thread (for no real reason...I guess just curiosity!) and noticed this line. Do they do a credit check so you can get car insurance down there?
yes they do , the better the credit the better the rate... i dunno why but it is how it is
Old 01-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #18
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
State Farm is the worst. They have very high rates, they raise rates in almost arbitrary ways and if you ever actually need to file a claim, prepare for the fight of your life. My mom retired from there and even she wouldn't insure her car or home with them.

One of my dad's best friends was a salesman for Farmers Insurance. I went to him to get insured and he directed me to Mercury. He said I'd get the best service and best prices. I've been hit by two uninsured drunk drivers and two underinsured drivers. I made one phone call and an adjuster got my car from the PD impound lot, took care of those charges the day after the accident. It took about an hour for them to arrange for my rental car. Oh yeah, I got hit by a school bus a couple of years ago, they handled everything on that as well with only one phone call. I'm glad I pay low rates, but I'm more pleased that I get really prompt and thorough service when I need to file a claim.

well i dont find them expensive, i pay 97 bucks a month for full comprehensive and 500 deductible. have uninsured etc.... ( on a 06 dodge charger) i just bought my wife a 08 land rover LR2 and hers is 103$ a month.......

as for claims, i have had to do a few but the most memorable is when my first wife passed away when we were hit by an uninsured motorist. All they did was get my attorney to verify the lady had no insurance then sent me a check for 50,000$ no questions asked ...
Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had a claim when a tree on their insured's property fell on my house demolishing everything in my backyard. They accepted responsibility within a week after it happened, filed it as a liability claim and told me they would send me a check. After fighting with them for a year and a half and asking if I need to get an attorney, they finally gave me the measly six grand to cover the repairs to my patio and sliding glass door. Its a really common theme with most people I know.