Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sushi bar Zipang

Has anyone ever been here?

I'm thinking of taking my girlfriend and a couple of her friends there for her birthday

It was recommended to me by a lady I work with, she said it was the best sushi she has ever had
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
sicsun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Either that, or GLOBE FISH in kensington is a good choice.
sicsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just tried Misato up in Signal Hill for the first time last nite. It was great. The decor is really strange though. It must have been a Phil's before. hahahaha
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sushi Bar Zipang was recommended to me as the best in the city (a lofty claim given the number of sushi places here!). I would say that it definitely did not disappoint!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the price range?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest I can't recall. I was there a few weeks ago for lunch (its close to the office) and I think that it was about $30 for the two of us. I didn't find that unreasonable. You get a lot of food and it was delicious. As someone mentioned both to me and in the other thread you get actual Japanese sushi chefs there.

You will need a reservation though...its not too big and its very busy.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was great. The price point is higher then your Sumo’s or Sakana’s but you can tell the quality is that much better, well worth the price. Also the service was fantastic, plenty of staff on hand but not overbearing. I don’t think you will be disappointed.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the responses guys
Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good place, it's focuses more on quality than quantity. The Beef sashimi was quite good in the ginger ponzu sauce.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best sushi in the city for sure. The owner is also a huge Flames fan. He has a son who must be no more than 3 or 4 years old and is like a Flames stat book. My dad and I go in there before every Flames home game and it is a treat every time.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

sashimi there is great, as are the appitizers.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I too will second (or third?) the great food at Sushi Bar Zipang. No matter how busy, the food quality is always top notch and the service staff are equally as great. (Try the deep fried ice cream)

The food is a little on the high side but I think it is worth it.

I'd hate to sidetrack this thread but if anybody starts one about bad service and gross sushi; I'll have tonnes to add to that one.

You just can't miss with Sushi Bar Zipang.

p.s. if you order take out and you bring your own containers they'll give you a discount for being eco-friendly!
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #13
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sushi bar zipang is my favorite sushi place in calgary. The ingredients are so fresh each and every time I go for dinner. Definitely check it out, but make reservations! The place is packed every-time I go.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I'd hate to sidetrack this thread but if anybody starts one about bad service and gross sushi; I'll have tonnes to add to that one.
Maruju (down Centre Street just outside downtown, beside the Starbucks, so as we call it "Starbucks Sushi") can have pretty brutal service. One time they tried to serve us a pair of very burned oysters. We asked for a refund on them, but the server said she couldn't. So instead she offered us replacements. This seemed fair so we agreed.

HALF HOUR later, they finally bring us our order, but what does she bring us? ONE oyster. We told her we had two, but she told us one was eaten. Firstly, my friend took a bite out of one and spit it back out on the plate. Secondly, even if he did eat it (which he definitely did not) it was burned to a crisp anyway!

So again we ask for a refund, and she again insists she can't, but instead she can bring out another. In no way were we gonna wait another 30 mins, so finally she says she'll talk to the manager, who "generously" knocks one of the two oysters we ordered off the bill. Add to the fact that the server was uber grumpy from start to finish the moment we walked in, even though it wasn't busy, as we were one of two occupied tables in the place.

Suffice it to say we left very displeased and did not leave a tip, and haven't been there since.

Last edited by Teh_Bandwagoner; 08-01-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Teh_Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great spot, great food. Better call for a table ahead, it's hard to walk in for one.
moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote