Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #6041
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny I have 3 Oilers fans in my office debating which $6M player is worse between Eberle, Lucic, and Nuge. The logical Fan amongst the group thinks next year is likely the only realistic chance they have because of the new contracts for Draisaitl and McDavid will make it hard for the Oilers to build around them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #6042
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was it really necessary for Ron "Oilers Intern" MacLean to use first names in this exact context?

"Is Leon to Connor the same as Mark to Wayne in those great 80s Oiler teams?"

He then launched into some reminiscence about a playoff series from 1983/4 which, by my calculations, was 1 playoff series out of 495 since then?

And then to have Elliotte Friedman launch into some Leafs story...a team that wasn't even in this round!

I feel for the Ottawa fans; they get nowhere near the fawning and backrubs that the SNET and other media outlets give to the greasers.

And leafs v greasers? what about sens or flames or habs?

I think that the oilers had a good run, but the media coverage from supposed NHL cheerleaders, not Oiler propagandists, and their collective disappointment today and into the future, will be salty enough to turn Lake Ontario into the Red Sea.

People wonder why the Greasers are hated so much? Blame the media.

Last edited by McG; 05-11-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #6043
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
TIL a trip to the 2nd round is magical.

Remember San Jose's run last year, where are they now?

Tampa's run the year before that?

The Rangers the year before that?

Get a grip media.
Or the last time the Oilers had a "magical" run. Better hide all the hot Edmonton news anchors from Connor McDavid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #6044
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
one of the first tweets was good ol' Connor saying 'we'll be back'.
Art of War stuff right there.

Books will be written with Collie McDoggie's two key leadership speeches with a warm, loving intro from Oilers Intern MacLean.

1) "Let's Go"; and
2) "We'll be back".

They dovetail and can be used in any leadership situation. SNET will show clips between periods of the series "Lotto Superstar" detailing intimate moments from Collie's life and awkward photo ops, while showing how leadership, real leadership, tells you when to leave and when to come back.

I look forward to Collie's autobiography detailing his time with the Greasers and living in Edmonton...

"Lotto to Blotto"
Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #6045
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I feel for the Ottawa fans; they get nowhere near the fawning and backrubs that the SNET and other media outlets give to the greasers.
The Senator's problem is that many people in Ottawa don't support them either. I have Ottawa relatives visiting this week, and they said they would cheer for MTL, TOR and EDM, over the Sens. The Sens have not be there long enough, or won enough, to over-turn these old loyalties.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #6046
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

McDavid: Aplomb, Oilers: Bomb. Ducks head to Western Conference Championship

Summer is just around the corner, but there was nothing but cold, golf-filled Winter in the hearts of the Connor McDavid faithful on Wednesday night as the Oilers were eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Anaheim Ducks won game 7 of the Western Conference Semi-final 2-1. Hit particularly hard by the loss were local watering holes who suffered the triple-whammy of watching McDavid - Hockey's Mightiest Avatar - inexplicably fail to save the franchise that drafted him, the end of Edmonton playoff crowds, and also being left to stare down the barrel of what will surely be the lowest draft day turnouts in a decade come June. "Who f***ing cares when you're picking 18th or whatever?" said local bar-owner and Oilers Fanatic, Blake Timmins.

Strangely silent on the end of the Oilers' playoff run was everyone from the Oilers team or Oilers Entertainment Group as no comment was to be had. Even the official website of the Edmonton Oilers was cloaked in mystery as shortly after 11:00pm PST, the site's regular content was replaced with nothing but looped footage of an open Skype window revealing the last man to play in the NHL without a helmet, and Vice-President of Hockey Operations for the Oilers, Craig MacTavish, as he sat slumped in a folding chair wistfully flicking the last of his rookie cards into a burning wastepaper basket wondering when it was, exactly, that the innocence of his youth had been stripped from him. The keen of ear could also pick up “Mad World” playing on repeat one in the background.

Despite that the loop ran for over an hour, MacTavish's mournful solitude was interrupted only once as Oilers Entertainment Group Vice-Chairman, Wayne Gretzky, a.k.a “The Great One,” entered the frame with a purposeful gait, flanked by Oilers Owner Darryl Katz on his left and Katz Jr. on his right. "City of Champions, Craig?" sneered Gretzky. "You haven't won anything other than draft lotteries."

After looking down on MacTavish in silence and seeing that he had nothing to offer in reply, Gretzky then gruffly took him by the arm and shoved a revolver into the palm of his hand. "Next time I'll bring you the bullet," he spat, before turning on his heel to leave; the echoes of good shoes on cold stone lingering in the air just so after he had gone

As of press time this morning, McDavid and Oilers fans alike were locked in a heated debate about whether the version of “Mad World” to which MacTavish was listening was the 2003 release by Gary Jules or the original, and much more apropos of MacTavish, 1982 version by Tears for Fears.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #6047
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Funny I have 3 Oilers fans in my office debating which $6M player is worse between Eberle, Lucic, and Nuge. The logical Fan amongst the group thinks next year is likely the only realistic chance they have because of the new contracts for Draisaitl and McDavid will make it hard for the Oilers to build around them.
That one's easy, it Eberle. What a useless and lazy pile of crap he has turned out to be. At least Lucic brings some size, grit, determination, and a little nastiness to the team which is sorely needed. And Nuge has turned into a pretty solid two way centre so has good value there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 05-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #6048
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

How is Nuge a two-way player? He had 0 goals and 4 assists in 13 playoff games.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #6049
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
McDavid: Aplomb, Oilers: Bomb. Ducks head to Western Conference Championship

As of press time this morning, McDavid and Oilers fans alike were locked in a heated debate about whether the version of “Mad World” to which MacTavish was listening was the 2003 release by Gary Jules or the original, and much more apropos of MacTavish, 1982 version by Tears for Fears.
Quoted for excellence, but especially for the brilliant Mad World reference.
Well done, good sir.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #6050
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
And all those car flags and jerseys. Where were they the last ten years? Most fair-weather fan-base of all time.
To be fair, dont car flags usually come out for playoffs. I dusted my flag from 2006 out and had it on my vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #6051
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
To be fair, dont car flags usually come out for playoffs. I dusted my flag from 2006 out and had it on my vehicle.
The moths didnt get through it over that decade?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #6052
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Even moths have standards.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #6053
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't see Oiler fans as fair-weather fans, they support that team through the dark times.

In fact they have the opposite problem that fan base is overly arrogant and positive about an organization that sucked for 10 years and lucked their way into being good again.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #6054
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Oilers team totally reminds me of the Avs team from 4 years ago. I can totally see them missing the playoffs next year. Talbot is the next Varlamov.

Someone better tell Iginla not to sign with them!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #6055
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Edmonton Oilers car flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #6056
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That one's easy, it Eberle. What a useless and lazy pile of crap he has turned out to be. At least Lucic brings some size, grit, determination, and a little nastiness to the team which is sorely needed. And Nuge has turned into a pretty solid two way centre so has good value there.
One guy was really saying it is Lucic that he is most worried about. Eberle has 2 years left, Nuge has 4, Lucic has 6 that was his arguement. No denying Wberle played the worst hockey but he is not as concerning long term as Lucic is
Old 05-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #6057
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Eberle is the worst player. Lucic is the worst contract just because of the term left. RNH will be only mildly bad, especially if he hits puberty soon.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #6058
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I don't see Oiler fans as fair-weather fans, they support that team through the dark times.

In fact they have the opposite problem that fan base is overly arrogant and positive about an organization that sucked for 10 years and lucked their way into being good again.
Yes, that's the most annoying thing about most of them. I'm usually shocked at how cocky and confident they are.

It's like what have you been watching for the last 10-26 years that could possibly give you any confidence in the oilers whatsoever?
Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #6059
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Eberle is the worst player. Lucic is the worst contract just because of the term left. RNH will be only mildly bad, especially if he hits puberty soon.
The problem with RNH is he will be entering his 7th season next year. What exactly is he? He reminds me a little of Gagner where you struggle or have reservations when trying to slot him into a lineup.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #6060
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does one of Lucic, Eberle, and RNH get exposed to the expansion draft?
Closed Thread