Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2024, 09:43 PM   #2701
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I run Nokian WR G4s, and they're noticeably better than the stock Bridgestone Turanza all-seasons my car came with from the factory, but they're loud and not a huge improvement in icy conditions. They're... okay. Not as durable as a regular all-season either, but assuredly better for summer wear than a true winter tire.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:03 AM   #2702
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I run Nokian WR G4s, and they're noticeably better than the stock Bridgestone Turanza all-seasons my car came with from the factory, but they're loud and not a huge improvement in icy conditions. They're... okay. Not as durable as a regular all-season either, but assuredly better for summer wear than a true winter tire.
And they get louder and louder as the tread wears as that's the major tradeoff with these tires.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:54 PM   #2703
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I used to run the Nokian WR whatevers on my VW Passat and Nissan Murano and yeah they were ok. Good enough that if I was in a situation where I could only have 1 set of tires it'd be ok, but if you can manage to swap then I'd say swap.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:49 PM   #2704
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget to retorque your lugnuts after you change your tires again this spring.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...ackfoot_trail/
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:37 AM   #2705
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Don't forget to retorque your lugnuts after you change your tires again this spring.

LOL, "The tire seems to be continuing on its way just fine. I'd blame the rest of the car."
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 09:11 AM   #2706
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I was a few vehicles back and saw this yesterday on my way to the farmers market. Was surprised he got over to the curb even.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:06 PM   #2707
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently you can drive fairly decently missing a wheel. Probably not recommended though.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 01:36 PM   #2708
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently you can drive fairly decently missing a wheel. Probably not recommended though.

Yup. My parents were moving, and Dad ended up losing one of the rear tires off his F150. He was able to pull over pretty much immediately, though a ton of damage had already been done to the brake assembly by that time.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 01:56 PM   #2709
photon

Exp:

My dad got a torque wrench says he wants to replace his winters himself this year, so I figure we can do it together.

He was just going to jack it up one corner at a time but I'm not sure I'd trust the little jack that comes with my car (or the hydraulics of a floor jack).

It seems to me like a floor jack with a couple of jack stands would be safer, but is there a way to do one corner at a time with a setup like that? Can't put the jack stand on the point where it's being jacked up obviously, would there be somewhere else to put a jack stand just for safety while doing that corner?

Also my car has some hub rings, but just thinking ahead how does one usually stop the rings from falling out of the wheel while putting the wheel on? Or are they usually tight enough that's not a problem? I suppose I could put them on the hub but they're plastic so seems like it'd be easy to damage them.

I assume just normal Princess Auto / Canadian Tire tier floor jack / jack stands are fine?

EDIT: Oh this seems cool, the jack has a place to put the jack stand in: https://www.princessauto.com/en/4000...t/PA0009133364
Old 04-14-2024, 02:08 PM   #2710
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My neighbourhood guy changes tires (on rims) for $20. I give him $30. It’s not worth my time, plus I’m old.

Edit: typed wrong price; charges $20, not $25.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 04-14-2024 at 03:14 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 02:11 PM   #2711
photon

Exp:

Yeah the place that I bought my rims from gives me free rim swaps, though getting the rims there last year I got my dad to bring them there with his truck, I'm not sure I could fit all 4 in my car lol.

Just figured if my dad wants to do his might as well do it together.

I don't think my car even has a middle front or back jack point so not sure how I'd use jack stands at all.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:32 PM   #2712
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally don't use jack stands when I change my wheels over. I'll take the very low odds of a jack failure in exchange for efficiency, provided that nobody is going under the car.

If you or part of you is going under the vehicle, jack stands are absolutely necessary - no compromise.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 02:37 PM   #2713
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My dad got a torque wrench says he wants to replace his winters himself this year, so I figure we can do it together.

He was just going to jack it up one corner at a time but I'm not sure I'd trust the little jack that comes with my car (or the hydraulics of a floor jack).

It seems to me like a floor jack with a couple of jack stands would be safer, but is there a way to do one corner at a time with a setup like that? Can't put the jack stand on the point where it's being jacked up obviously, would there be somewhere else to put a jack stand just for safety while doing that corner?

Also my car has some hub rings, but just thinking ahead how does one usually stop the rings from falling out of the wheel while putting the wheel on? Or are they usually tight enough that's not a problem? I suppose I could put them on the hub but they're plastic so seems like it'd be easy to damage them.

I assume just normal Princess Auto / Canadian Tire tier floor jack / jack stands are fine?

EDIT: Oh this seems cool, the jack has a place to put the jack stand in: https://www.princessauto.com/en/4000...t/PA0009133364
Why not just use a jack pad/puck and lift the vehicle using the recommended frame section? You can easily jack up the vehicle and slide a stand under the vehicle once you get it up in the air.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 02:41 PM   #2714
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I personally don't use jack stands when I change my wheels over. I'll take the very low odds of a jack failure in exchange for efficiency, provided that nobody is going under the car.

If you or part of you is going under the vehicle, jack stands are absolutely necessary - no compromise.
Ya, I never use jack stands for tire changes. But I do use a good floor jack.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 02:43 PM   #2715
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Why not just use a jack pad/puck and lift the vehicle using the recommended frame section? You can easily jack up the vehicle and slide a stand under the vehicle once you get it up in the air.
The manual only shows these points for lift points:

I don't see anywhere else it says is ok to put a stand under the frame.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:36 PM   #2716
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s wrong with the jack that comes with the vehicle? I have been using it for a few years now to swap tires on our SUV. I am not getting underneath the car or anything and only lifting it as high as necessary to get the tires in/out.

I did buy a bottle jack though, cause the problem I have with the vehicle issued ones are: the screw gear is greasy and gross; and my hands get tired turning that awkward crank.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 03:39 PM   #2717
photon

Exp:

If the one that comes with the car is good enough to do a wheel swap then that seems easiest.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:12 PM   #2718
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
If the one that comes with the car is good enough to do a wheel swap then that seems easiest.
I think you'll find that manually cranking those small jacks for each tire gets old very quickly. A decent floor jack from Canadian Tire will be much faster, and if you can find a solid piece of frame on the front or back to put it under then you can do two tires at once
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 06:38 PM   #2719
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I jack each corner at a time; once jacked I put a jack stand more/less beside the jack wherever I can get it just a few mms from the frame.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 07:43 PM   #2720
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Consider this the annual reminder to check the tread direction arrows before you snug up the lug nuts, drop the jack and move on to the next tire. Yeah.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post: