Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #61
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good thing that Detroit, Minnesota, Edmonton and Colorado don't play each other where someone will collect points, no the rest of the league will come to a standstill, they will just sit on their hands watching as we make up the 4 points on Dallas, not to mention LA who's 1 point behind us with game in hand and playing against both Alberta powerhouses next.

I mean that clearly worked last year, amirite?

Last edited by Flame Of Liberty; 02-19-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #62
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Please please no. This approach is disgusting. This is a professional organization (at least it should be). The aforementioned approach was taken by Edmonton, openly taken, and it is disgusting.
The Flames aren't going to get themselves in a playoff position until Kiprusoff gets back and if that's not shortly the season is practically over anyway. So it would be very smart to sell off assets, finish real low, and get some young assets. It's just one season, a season in which the star player got hurt.

If Kipper is back in a week, I'm willing to do a wait and see. But there's no point in pretending the Flames will be competitive with Taylor and MacDonald in goal.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #63
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Flames are 3rd worst @ 3.43 goals against per game. The Islanders (3.60) and Panthers (3.73) are worse.

The Flames definitely need some help defensively, but at least have the figures right.
Flames also have 3rd worst goal differential in the league, offensive players aren't exactly getting the job done either.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #64
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
Good thing that Detroit, Minnesota, Edmonton and Colorado don't play each other where someone will collect points, no the rest of the league will come to a standstill, they will just sit on their hands watching as we make up the 4 points on Dallas, not to mention LA who's 1 point behind us with game in hand and playing against both Alberta powerhouses next.
That would be a good point if there were 5 games left in the season, but with 34 games left, it's irrelevant. Yes, they'll all win some games, but they'll all lose some games too. If we do what we need to do, we'll be in the playoffs. As I said before, that's a big "if," but I'm not ready to give up yet.

Quote:
I mean that clearly worked last year, amirite?
Not that last year's outcome is what we aspire to, but, yes, you are right, that did work last year. We were able to leapfrog all of those teams in the standings and get into playoff position. Of course we choked it away after that, but that's irrelevant to the point you're trying to make.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #65
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Flames also have 3rd worst goal differential in the league, offensive players aren't exactly getting the job done either.
12th in goals / game isn't great, but it's not a failure either. The problem is specifically goals against / game which is directly caused by awful team save percentage.

Saying the offense isn't getting the job done because of goal differential is kind of silly. The offense's job is goals for, not goal differential.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #66
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
12th in goals / game isn't great, but it's not a failure either. The problem is specifically goals against / game which is directly caused by awful team save percentage.

Saying the offense isn't getting the job done because of goal differential is kind of silly. The offense's job is goals for, not goal differential.
the offense is not outshooting our defensive problems, silver lining of previous seasons, that's what I meant. this team sucks all around, unfortunately.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #67
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i was against the idea at first, but with practically no true centremen currently playing, ROR might be the best available option to a two-way forward.

but do we dare pay him what he wants/pay colorado what they want? expensive both $ and asset wise..
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #68
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
i was against the idea at first, but with practically no true centremen currently playing, ROR might be the best available option to a two-way forward.

but do we dare pay him what he wants/pay colorado what they want? expensive both $ and asset wise..
No. If asking price is young player, prospect and pick, you have to pass. We simply can't part with three assets to acquire one. He had a good season in a contract year but he doesn't have a track record that warrants sending these assets in return.

Defensive center - problem is everyone is looking and there is a short supply. It amazes me that Steckel sits in the press box in TO and no one has picked him up. Would be interesting to know what Nonis wants.

Defensive forwards - again, sellers market. Lots of teams looking but price is high as supply is low. Have to overpay which is not an advantageous situation. Would people here be ok trading Cammy for a downgrade in skill but a better two way game. If Feaster does this there will be a lot of bitching, but maybe we need a Stillman for Conroy like deal where we give up offense for defensive responsibility.

Problem as I see it is that we have issues on the 1st line (production) and 4th line (skill). Stajan and Horak's lines are OK. 1st line situation may improve when Baertschi and Backlund get back as we will get skill that we can inject into the 1st line. 4th line - I'd like to see Feaster go unconventional here and approach some teams who have one way contracts in the minors. For example, Buffalo has Matt Ellis and TB has Dana Tyrell in the minors on one ways. I'm sure the owners would prefer to pay these guys minor league salaries so offer a minor leaguer for these guys and see if they can better our 4th line. Low risk and if it doesn't work you don't burn a valuable asset, just maybe increase the payroll in Abby temporarily.

Lastly, you have a guy like Petr Straka who has been tearing up the Q after not being tendered a contract by CLB despite being a 2nd round pick. Why not offer him a deal to increase our prospect pool? I was surprised that no one dealt for his rights before they expired last summer and he might be showing the firm to justify his second round status. We've had luck with Czechs so maybe there's a fit here. No problem in becoming Prague west if it gets us on the right track.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #69
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
the offense is not outshooting our defensive problems, silver lining of previous seasons, that's what I meant. this team sucks all around, unfortunately.
Only one team in the NHL has a a higher goals for per game than the Flames' goals allowed per game.

You have to go back to '08-'09 to find a season where they outscored their defensive (i.e. goaltending) issues, but the goaltending issues were a lot less then (yet still huge).

We have an 0.876 team save percentage. NHL average (0.909 this season) would give us 13 fewer GA... for a +1 goal differential.

So the offense, while not great, is passable. The goaltending is not.
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #70
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

wrong thread, please delete

Last edited by Alberta_Beef; 02-19-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #71
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A team that's struggling to even hold 10th spot might as well as well go for broke on young assets as long as the word "Baertschi" is not used. Worst case scenario is they get a top 5 pick finally.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #72
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Only one team in the NHL has a a higher goals for per game than the Flames' goals allowed per game.

You have to go back to '08-'09 to find a season where they outscored their defensive (i.e. goaltending) issues, but the goaltending issues were a lot less then (yet still huge).

We have an 0.876 team save percentage. NHL average (0.909 this season) would give us 13 fewer GA... for a +1 goal differential.

So the offense, while not great, is passable. The goaltending is not.
You can't score goals though like that without giving up a ton yourself. The offence is a result of the conscious decision to play a less defensive game.

This outcome was entirely predictable even without the goaltending injuries.

When you open it up, you're going to get scored on. Wen you're relying on a defensive group that is as a whole defensively lacklustre to seal those seams and a 36 year old goalie to plug those holes, your vessel is going to take on water.

I think some didn't like to hear it at the time, but so far, Brent is being proven correct somewhat, there is only one way for this group to play and be successful (measured in Ws not goals and assists).

This is Keenan style hockey without the horses.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 02-19-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #73
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
You can't score goals though like that without giving up a ton yourself. The offence is a result of the conscious decision to play a less defensive game.

When you open it up, you're going to get scored on. Wen you're relying on a defensive group that is as a whole defensively lacklustre to seal those seams and a 36 year old goalie to plug those holes, your vessel is going to take on water.

I think some didn't like to hear it, but I think, so far, Brent is being proven correct somewhat, there is only one way for this group to play and be successful (measured in Ws not goals and assists).

Yep we are the new Oilers.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #74
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
A team that's struggling to even hold 10th spot might as well as well go for broke on young assets as long as the word "Baertschi" is not used. Worst case scenario is they get a top 5 pick finally.
so who do you send colorado then? roster player + good prospect.

lets assume we dont wanna give up Sven, Brodie, Gaudreau. how do you get them to bite? and then hope we can convince ROR to sign for 4.5 per or something?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #75
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
so who do you send colorado then? roster player + good prospect.

lets assume we dont wanna give up Sven, Brodie, Gaudreau. how do you get them to bite? and then hope we can convince ROR to sign for 4.5 per or something?
Lost cause on that guy. We would probably end up in the same situation as col having to overpay the guy once his contract with us is up if he kept his numbers up.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #76
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Lost cause on that guy. We would probably end up in the same situation as col having to overpay the guy once his contract with us is up if he kept his numbers up.
true, i just wonder what other options are out there. wait and see on max Reinhart or someone else in the system? our team is just so frustrating cause the clock has pretty much ran out on the old core, and righting the ship is now gonna require a long and slow rebuild with some very smart drafting. And this season we've added another problem to the pile. Goaltending.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #77
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We are weak in goal, not all that surprising. Kipper will be gone relatively soon and to be honest I am not sold on Karri Ramo or the other goalies in our prospect pool. Why not try a trade for Bernier outta LA. I am not sure if it is possible tbh but he is somewhat proven and young.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #78
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

When you open it up, you're going to get scored on. When you're relying on a defensive group that is as a whole defensively lacklustre to seal those seams and a 36 year old goalie to plug those holes, your vessel is going to take on water.
I think some didn't like to hear it at the time, but so far, Brent is being proven correct somewhat, there is only one way for this group to play and be successful (measured in Ws not goals and assists).

I'd rather play Keenan style hockey than Brent-style. What's more, Keenan had better results.

I don't really agree that a better offence necessarily means more goals against. More possession and more time in the offensive zone are good ways to cut down the shots against.

We have done a good job with those at times during the season. We need to reinforce that and wait for the goaltending to get better (because if it doesn't, we're screwed regardless of what to do). If we try to revert to some kind of turtling style, that is guaranteed not to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #79
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't be against moving either of those. However, Brodie isn't a player the Avs need, and Gaudreau is in an usual position where that boom/bust chance will make it hard to predict his trade value.

The Avs' current needs are future wingers or current D. The Flames are woefully low on similar positions. Before this season, I would have suggested Giordano as a starting point and working up from that, but with that option cratering, I admit I'm hard pressed to come up with a trade that works which puts the Flames moving to a younger team. That is, unless the Avs don't mind gambling that Bouwmeester is Hartley system Bouwmeester and not Sutter's Bouwmeester.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #80
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lets face it, this team ain't going anywhere in the next 5 years, unless Feaster doesn't kick 80% of the roster and get some youth talent & motivation in the team, like asap.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote