Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #41
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
The Flames are 4 points out of the 8 spot with 2 games in hand. That's not where we'd like to be, but it's not "almost mathematically impossible" for us to make the playoffs. If we can keep up the .500 play until Kipper comes back and then he plays like he did in Chicago and Detroit, we'll almost certainly get in. Yes, that is two very big "ifs," but the season is far from over.
This sounds familiar.

If If If, only only only. Never do.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #42
Yakbutter
Self-ban

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames are 4 points out of the 8 spot with 2 games in hand. That's not where we'd like to be, but it's not "almost mathematically impossible" for us to make the playoffs.
I have seen enough of this kind of rationalizing. Fans of this team have been doing this for years now.. Last year the flames hung around the playoff hunt and they were in 8'th seed for ONE DAY.

It's so tiring hearing "oh we are only this far out of 8th..". Other teams are solidifying themselves a playoff spot while the flames are spinning their wheels trying to figure out we they can't win games. It's just depressing to hear "8th spot" .

It's death by low expectations.
Yakbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Yakbutter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #43
Cyclops
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakbutter View Post
I have seen enough of this kind of rationalizing. Fans of this team have been doing this for years now.. Last year the flames hung around the playoff hunt and they were in 8'th seed for ONE DAY.

It's so tiring hearing "oh we are only this far out of 8th..". Other teams are solidifying themselves a playoff spot while the flames are spinning their wheels trying to figure out we they can't win games. It's just depressing to hear "8th spot" .

It's death by low expectations.
What teams are solidifying playoff spots? Chicago and Anaheim (who the media was telling their fans that they were losing one of, if not both, Perry and Getzlaf this year). You must mean Vancouver who are 3 points up on 9th? I know it sucks being in a playoff race and it's much more exciting being out halfway through the season and hoping for losses, and really hoping for a #1 because, as we all know, a team can only be built by rebuilding and getting #1 picks.
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #44
BEANZ
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
What teams are solidifying playoff spots? Chicago and Anaheim (who the media was telling their fans that they were losing one of, if not both, Perry and Getzlaf this year). You must mean Vancouver who are 3 points up on 9th? I know it sucks being in a playoff race and it's much more exciting being out halfway through the season and hoping for losses, and really hoping for a #1 because, as we all know, a team can only be built by rebuilding and getting #1 picks.

I suggest you spend some time reading the endless pages on CP that discuss rebuilding/retooling. If not all of them, damn near every member of CP is against a Olier style rebuild. However there are lots of us that are realistic in our analysis of the team, the team that simply is not a contender.

Can you honestly say that the Flames are on the path to winning a Stanley Cup? That is the goal, correct?

This edition of the Flames has a very slim chance of making the playoffs and based on their play over not only this season but the previous 3 or 4 has ZERO chance of winning the Cup. Hell if they made the playoffs and clinched a 7th or 8th place finish I suspect the run would be short with the Flames golfing in 4 or 5 games.

Don't get me wrong, I love this team and sadly cannot change that. But we need real changes not just more 7th thru 10 place finishes.
BEANZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #45
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
The Canucks are in the following situation as far as playoffs go:

1) Tied with Nashville with 2 games in hand
2) 1 point up on Phoenix with two games in hand
3) 2 points up on San Jose with no games in hand
4) 2 points up on Dallas with 2 games in hand
5) 3 points up on Detroit with a game in hand
6) 3 points up on Minnesota with a game in hand
7) 4 points up on Edmonton
8) 6 points up on Colorado
9) 6 points up on Calgary

Calgary is:

1) 6 points down from Nashville with two games in hand
2) 5 points down from Phoenix with two games in hand
3) 4 points down from San Jose with no games in hand
4) 4 points down from Dallas with two games in hand
5) 3 points down from Detroit with a game in hand
6) 3 points down from Minnesota with a game in hand
7) 2 points behind Edmonton with no games in hand
8) Tied with Colorado with no games in hand

One of those two teams is in a playoff race, the other is not. I suspect those numbers will grow over the next couple weeks.

Last edited by EddyBeers; 02-19-2013 at 03:22 PM.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #46
BEANZ
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Calgary is also :

9) 1 point up on LA - LA has one game in hand

IMO this is a big factor to my sorrow. LA is sure to get hot and make a strong push for the playoffs, leaving Calgary in their wake.
BEANZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #47
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEANZ View Post
Calgary is also :

9) 1 point up on LA - LA has one game in hand

IMO this is a big factor to my sorrow. LA is sure to get hot and make a strong push for the playoffs, leaving Calgary in their wake.
I do not have much sorrow on it myself, it seems obvious that this team is set up to have an Edmonton style rebuild. They had a coach that was squeezing wins out of a lineup that nobody could understand how it was above .500 like MacT right before he was fired, they got a new coach in that would be so much better than the horrible old coach (re- Pat Quinn) and they are on the path for a substantial rebuild based more on the quality of the team than on Hartley to be fair, but it seems inevitable. Christ the injuries are even eerily similar, Bhulin goes down in Quinn's first year (thus the excuse most Oilers fans used that year) and Kipper goes down for us this year.

The main difference (hopefully) is that the Flames should do better on their sell off than the Oilers did when they sold off Staios for a 3rd rounder, Garbagekov for a 2nd rounder and Vishnovsky for Whitney.

Last edited by EddyBeers; 02-19-2013 at 03:33 PM.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #48
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Worst defensive team in the west, and almost on par with the Panthers at 3.64 goals allowed a game.

Should Feaster be looking at trades for some defensive forwards? I don't think we can succeed without a Stephen Yelle type player or another defensive minded center.

I don't blame the stat on the goalie. Flames forwards don't backcheck like they skate for offensive chances. Something has to be done via trade IMO.
Oh, come on. The number of "I could've stopped that one" goals scored on the Flames this year is astounding.

The forwards need to be better but to give the goaltending collective a pass is laughable.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #49
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calgary isn't good enough to win playing offensive hockey, defensive hockey, or balanced hockey.

Play with the stats all we want, this is a bad hockey team that has been in need of a rebuild for about 3 years.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #50
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This sounds familiar.

If If If, only only only. Never do.
I wouldn't bet money on the Flames making the playoffs, but are you really going to give up on a season that we waited 7 months for in less than a month when we're effectively only 2 points out of a playoff spot (assuming we win one of the two games we have in hand)? That doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Not that ultimately being let down in two months is much fun either, but I at least get some enjoyment out of the ride.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #51
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
Calgary isn't good enough to win playing offensive hockey, defensive hockey, or balanced hockey.

Play with the stats all we want, this is a bad hockey team that has been in need of a rebuild for about 3 years.
You mean an Edmonton style 7 year with no playoffs and dead last for most if them type rebuild?

People on this site go crazy when the team plays .500 hockey I can only imagine how it would go if calgary finished bottom 3 for 4 years straight.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #52
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
You mean an Edmonton style 7 year with no playoffs and dead last for most if them type rebuild?

People on this site go crazy when the team plays .500 hockey I can only imagine how it would go if calgary finished bottom 3 for 4 years straight.
Well we are working on year 4 of no playoffs already while still clutching tightly to a sinking ship. Ideally we would have assets already that could help us in the future but whether we choose to rebuild now or not I would not be shocked by at least 7 years out of the playoffs.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #53
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So that "Ride one goalie for a decade and don't bother having a backup" plan really paid off, didn't it?
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #54
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
Well we are working on year 4 of no playoffs already while still clutching tightly to a sinking ship. Ideally we would have assets already that could help us in the future but whether we choose to rebuild now or not I would not be shocked by at least 7 years out of the playoffs.
Wouldn't Brayden Schenn look good on this club with Baert and Brodie?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #55
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Wouldn't Brayden Schenn look good on this club with Baert and Brodie?
He'd probably just bust anyway.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #56
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
I do not have much sorrow on it myself, it seems obvious that this team is set up to have an Edmonton style rebuild. They had a coach that was squeezing wins out of a lineup that nobody could understand how it was above .500 like MacT right before he was fired, they got a new coach in that would be so much better than the horrible old coach (re- Pat Quinn) and they are on the path for a substantial rebuild based more on the quality of the team than on Hartley to be fair, but it seems inevitable. Christ the injuries are even eerily similar, Bhulin goes down in Quinn's first year (thus the excuse most Oilers fans used that year) and Kipper goes down for us this year.

The main difference (hopefully) is that the Flames should do better on their sell off than the Oilers did when they sold off Staios for a 3rd rounder, Garbagekov for a 2nd rounder and Vishnovsky for Whitney.
I think you can make a case that there is another similarity with the almighty greasers we're trying so hard to avoid.

Remember their first, original rebuild (TM) with Cogliano, Gagner, Grebeshkov, Nilsson and some other scrubs? Well compare it to our bunch of first rounders Irving Nemisz Chucko Pelech - the similarities are there

I guess what I'm saying is that the more we're trying to avoid being Edmonton, the more we are like them.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame Of Liberty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #57
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
I think you can make a case that there is another similarity with the almighty greasers we're trying so hard to avoid.

Remember their first, original rebuild (TM) with Cogliano, Gagner, Grebeshkov, Nilsson and some other scrubs? Well compare it to our bunch of first rounders Irving Nemisz Chucko Pelech - the similarities are there

I guess what I'm saying is that the more we're trying to avoid being Edmonton, the more we are like them.
I can't see the comparison here. You just listed some Sutter 1st rounders that weren't very good. I remember their original rebuild but that has nothing in common with that rag-tag group of Sutter picks.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #58
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Worst defensive team in the west, and almost on par with the Panthers at 3.64 goals allowed a game.

Should Feaster be looking at trades for some defensive forwards? I don't think we can succeed without a Stephen Yelle type player or another defensive minded center.

I don't blame the stat on the goalie. Flames forwards don't backcheck like they skate for offensive chances. Something has to be done via trade IMO.
This is stupid. Of course it's the goalies.

Flames aren't getting scored on a lot because they allow a ton of shots (they are 9th in shots against / game), they are getting scored on a lot because the goalies aren't stopping shots like they need to.

The season is going down the drain almost entirely due to bad goaltending (which of course includes Kiprusoff).
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #59
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're only 2 points out of 8th! We might be able to get the final playoff spot and be forced to play 3 meaningless games agains the hawks in the first rounds (it wouldn't go to 4 games because the league would have mercy on our souls and end it sooner).

When the goal of this team at the start of the year is to maybe finish in the 8th spot, you've already given up.

Take off the glasses and see things for what they really are.

and before anyone gives me any BS about how the kings made the 8th spot last year and won the cup, listen..... The Kings have waaaaaaaaaaaay more tallent than the Flames have in a long time. They are a younger team full of all stars in their primes, the Flames aren't. The Kings winning the cup was one of the worst things that could have happened to the Flames because too many people have the mentality of "if we just make 8th, anything can happen". Other teams are doing very well because they have good players and their good players are in their primes and don't need half of the year to get "hot". Good players are good all the time. The Flames won't make the playoffs because they aren't good enough, not because of bad breaks or injuries at the wrong time or bad bounces or bad calls, they just aren't good.

What they can do is get better through subtraction. Trade some of our "tallent" and get back whatever we can and start from scratch.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #60
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
We're only 2 points out of 8th! We might be able to get the final playoff spot and be forced to play 3 meaningless games agains the hawks in the first rounds (it wouldn't go to 4 games because the league would have mercy on our souls and end it sooner).

When the goal of this team at the start of the year is to maybe finish in the 8th spot, you've already given up.

Take off the glasses and see things for what they really are.

and before anyone gives me any BS about how the kings made the 8th spot last year and won the cup, listen..... The Kings have waaaaaaaaaaaay more tallent than the Flames have in a long time. They are a younger team full of all stars in their primes, the Flames aren't. The Kings winning the cup was one of the worst things that could have happened to the Flames because too many people have the mentality of "if we just make 8th, anything can happen". Other teams are doing very well because they have good players and their good players are in their primes and don't need half of the year to get "hot". Good players are good all the time. The Flames won't make the playoffs because they aren't good enough, not because of bad breaks or injuries at the wrong time or bad bounces or bad calls, they just aren't good.

What they can do is get better through subtraction. Trade some of our "tallent" and get back whatever we can and start from scratch.
Flames - 13 points. 8th place Dallas - 17 points. Hate to tell you this but that's more than 2 points.

Edit: I actually read you post just now. 2 points, 4 points, it doesn't really matter.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post: