Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Emile Poirier 153 49.84%
David Rittich 154 50.16%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #21
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Scratching my head as to why Poirier is this high...
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #22
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not holding my breath for Poirier. I wish him nothing but the greatest success but he has to show something big this year to jump in the rankings.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #23
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Scratching my head as to why Poirier is this high...
12th highest ratest propsect doesn't really seem that high to me. We're starting to get into the long shots / lower potential / individuals with things they need to work on now.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #24
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
12th highest ratest propsect doesn't really seem that high to me. We're starting to get into the long shots / lower potential / individuals with things they need to work on now.
He's getting rated ahead of players who had significantly better seasons last year. That's the puzzling part. A lot of hope and projection to justify it because his play hasn't at all. I think Rittich is getting shortchanged here.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #25
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would love to see a Poirer - Bennett - Lazar line
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #26
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
He's getting rated ahead of players who had significantly better seasons last year. That's the puzzling part. A lot of hope and projection to justify it because his play hasn't at all. I think Rittich is getting shortchanged here.
None of those players had a rookie season even remotely comparable to what Poirier accomplished in 2015. He is rated where he is because a lot of people have good reason to believe that at 22-years-old he can still make good on his high potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
And a lot of people are rating players highly who've had but one good season (which Poirier also has done - his good season was arguably even better). He's proven he can play at a high level in the AHL. He just needs to prove he can come back from an issue which we know about.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
Completely
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Might be easier if Bingo just flips a coin
Completely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #29
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
The embed doesn't show the best part of this clip

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #30
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just voted Rittich, 1 vote lead!
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #31
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted Rittich, but I think Poirier is really great here as well.

Rittich seems to have starter material. His adjustment to the AHL has been practically flawless. There isn't a guarantee that he will make the jump and translate just as flawlessly to the NHL of course, but he has had a damn good start that can't be ignored.

Poirier is a legitimately strong prospect as well. Yes, he had two poor seasons, but when you are under the influence and have that demon on your shoulders every night, it is going to impact you on and off the ice. Now that the burden has been lifted, there is no reason as to why he can't return to form. I thought he was a can't miss top 6 prospect that could provide the Flames with tonnes of things that makes organizations successful - speed, defensive acumen, skill, tenacity, grit and versatility. Had Poirier not gone for help (and without knowing what he has been going through in the last two years) I would have ranked him lower. I do believe that people can overcome their addictions and continue with their lives.

I also believe that the last two seasons were not 'lost' and impaired his development. Though his performance was obviously impaired, he was still developing and learning how to play against men, how to be effective in all zones, how to play a certain system, etc. Huska has been working on his defensive game (which I thought was pretty good in junior to begin with).

I voted Rittich as I think he has the ceiling of a starter in the NHL, and feel he can attain the level where a team can be confident with him as a backup (though with goalies, I absolutely find it difficult to identify a 'floor'). For me, it is Rittich by a hair, but in no way would it be undeserving of Poirier to go here.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #32
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I voted Rittich, but I do understand the Poirier thing to some extent.

A prospect that hits a wall and gets worse season after season is done on the prospect list. But a prospect that has a named issue and a story that suggests he beat it almost gives you a reset for the player.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #33
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I voted Poirier. In fact I believe he should be ranked higher. After his rookie AHL season I was thinking can't miss star. I believe he gets back on track.

Quote:
A few years ago, shortly after he was hired by the Calgary Flames, Brad Treliving saw what everyone had been talking about.

Emile Poirier, a promising prospect who was picked by former general manager Jay Feaster, had the wheels and was billed as a scoring winger out of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s Gatineau Olympiques.

“Abbotsford (the Flames’ former American Hockey League affiliate) was playing Grand Rapids the day after I got hired, and he had just come from Gatineau,” Treliving recalled, referring to Poirier’s professional debut in the spring of 2014. “This guy was the best player on the ice.

“For both teams.”
http://nationalpost.com/sports/hocke...5-91a50646280a

Quote:
"You have to be careful in July of getting too high or too low, but in his circumstance, he looked like he had the fire back. To see the explosiveness back in him, the smile on his face, we're real happy for him," Treliving said."Don't bet against that kid."
http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/...017-eight.html
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #34
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I voted Rittich, but I do understand the Poirier thing to some extent.

A prospect that hits a wall and gets worse season after season is done on the prospect list. But a prospect that has a named issue and a story that suggests he beat it almost gives you a reset for the player.
Not to mention that before he hit the wall, he had two very good seasons after the draft (one in junior, and the other in the AHL where he seemed to be really good).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #35
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

106 to 104 for Rittich at the time of my vote.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #36
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe in Emile. He will be a key second line winger in a cup winning team.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #37
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

We need to jihad our own poll to make it a tie again...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #38
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is going to end in a tie isn't it
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #39
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite the lack of production, I felt Poirier's play around November warranted protection in the expansion draft.

However this to me is Rittich and it's not even all that close. Rittich is a guy who could very well be splitting NHL starts in tandem with Smith in a year or so. He's really, really good. It's not even about the numbers, because obviously those can be skewed by a team's defensive play. Whether it's being compact and positionally sound or freakishly athletic, he just impresses every time. Rittich is just awesome. I don't think the Heat make the playoffs last year without him, or even win a playoff game without him.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #40
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I think poirier has the higher ceiling, but rittich has a better chance at making it. Went with poirier as I feel like if he turns it around he will be a very impactful player in the future.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote