Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #41
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Honest question, do we count each individual incident or would multiple incidents in certain timeframe count as one?
I would say the same event would count as 1. If you're getting shot at 5 times at the same event you can't count that as 5, since that's on you for hanging around after the first one.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What if a guy shoots at a guy, then drives a few blocks away and shoots at someone else? One incident, or two?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #43
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I still have family there and am genuinely curious.

I really can't remember any gun violence in Calgary in the past.

Didn't mean to piss anyone off here.

My estimation was rough for sure, no big deal.

Last edited by Jordan!; 07-11-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #44
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post

since he's the same guy who wanted to come back home to take his girlfriend to A&W and Edo.
This is awesome
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #45
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Apparently for pointing out that PepsiFree was wrong, I landed in one of Bouw N Arrow's classical traps.
Lesson learned: Never point out when I'm wrong
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #46
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What if a guy shoots at a guy, then drives a few blocks away and shoots at someone else? One incident, or two?
Two.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #47
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, then what if the guy shoots the first guy, then from the same spot shoots the second guy who is in the location from example one? Victims are in the same location as the first case, but shooter doesn't move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #48
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ok, then what if the guy shoots the first guy, then from the same spot shoots the second guy who is in the location from example one? Victims are in the same location as the first case, but shooter doesn't move.
Shooting someone a couple blocks away (esp with a handgun) would be pretty impressive.

However, to get at the meat of your question, it's a matter of resources and charges.

In the first, it'd be two incidents since you'd have to have two separate crews holding the area, since you can't hold off an area multiple blocks long/big (for no reason, that is) and you can't contain/hold an area multiple blocks easily.

In the second, it'd still be two separate incidents (putting aside the near impossibility of a blocks long kill-shot from anything other than a high powered rifle, but we're talking theoretical here anyhow) as you have two victims, thus all the problems of the first scenario, but the addition of multiple charges for multiple victims.

In the end, both would likely be rolled into one 'case' and presented to the courts. But during the incident and investigation, it'd be treated like two.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #49
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do people forget the gang wars in the early to late 2000's? There were fob and fobK shooting up each other every other week. As a born and raised Calgarian, I don't see the increase in gun violence. It's been around since at least the year 2000 and it's been pretty steady since.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #50
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The best way I can describe it is that Calgary is a very safe city for its size and the odd's of being a victim of a major crime such as a RANDOM gunshot is quite low.

This being said the level of violent crime in the city has taken a sharp rise in the last few years. This is not the city I grew up in and there are more and more random acts of child luring attempts, rapes and other violent crimes.

My brother is an officer and I can confirm a lot of serious crimes aren't reported to the media so the general public doesn't find out about it. A lot of traditional media such as the TV stations and newspapers have done SERIOUS cutbacks in recent years so the amount of reporting does indeed go down. Every single serious crime can't be covered.

Another concerning thing that has happened in recent years the how many child killers are out there. Just in the last 3 years we have had a rash of child abduction's and murders in southern Alberta. Off the top of my head

1) Nathan O'Brien who was kidnapped and killed along with his grandparents
2) Little Hayley Dumbar who was kidnapped and killed along with her father in Blairmore, AB

3) Taliya Marsman who was kidnapped and killed along with her mother.
4) Amber Lucius who was killed by her mother out in Sundre, Alberta

There are several more but I am too lazy to look them all up. This is all in the last 2-3 years. What is making all these people this crazy? It's so sad
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Shooting someone a couple blocks away (esp with a handgun) would be pretty impressive.

However, to get at the meat of your question, it's a matter of resources and charges.

In the first, it'd be two incidents since you'd have to have two separate crews holding the area, since you can't hold off an area multiple blocks long/big (for no reason, that is) and you can't contain/hold an area multiple blocks easily.

In the second, it'd still be two separate incidents (putting aside the near impossibility of a blocks long kill-shot from anything other than a high powered rifle, but we're talking theoretical here anyhow) as you have two victims, thus all the problems of the first scenario, but the addition of multiple charges for multiple victims.

In the end, both would likely be rolled into one 'case' and presented to the courts. But during the incident and investigation, it'd be treated like two.
Well thanks for the serious reply! I started off just joking around, but then it turned into an interesting question in my head.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #52
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Do people forget the gang wars in the early to late 2000's? There were fob and fobK shooting up each other every other week. As a born and raised Calgarian, I don't see the increase in gun violence. It's been around since at least the year 2000 and it's been pretty steady since.
Through the 2000s there was roughly 15 shooting incidents that resulted in death between the FOB's and FOB Killers. An average of 1.5 a year. I have no statistics on how often there was a shooting in general, but I don't believe it ever got nearly as high as you're suggesting. There was certainly a plethora of fights, brawls, stabbings and even a toilet death. But even at it's height, I think you would be hard pressed to find a 2 month period with more gun violence than the last 2 months.

And while there was unfortunately a couple innocent bystanders caught in the crosshairs, for the most part that was gang vs gang. The difference now is some jackass is shooting at cars randomly on centre street, another is shooting at a group of ladies who turned him down.

In 2008, the same year as the Bolsa murders, there was nearly 70 homicides or attempted homicides (this is total, so not just gun or gang related), and the 33 murders set a Calgary record. By 2009 the "war" was all but over. It certainly was a low point in Calgary, as by 2011 there was less than 30 homicides and attempted homicides. Of course 2008's homicide record was recently beaten by 2015, which saw 34. What do the 2 years have in common? Crippling economic depression, which I think is probably the biggest answer to OP's question.

Here's something though:
http://www.660news.com/2016/01/04/gu...r-better-2016/

In 2014, there was three homicides by firearm. In 2015, there was 15. I think 2017 is already at 6 unfortunately.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-11-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #53
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I've personally been involved in lots of shooting the last few weeks. Definite increase from the norm. Managed to avoid getting shot in the face, thankfully (it stings).
I am trying to decide if this post is about guns or.......
Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #54
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by steve9981; 08-21-2017 at 01:18 PM.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #55
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you phone the cops?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #56
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Old 07-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #57
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's weird. I go for walks downtown when I'm in the city and it's a lot sketchier than it used to be. Just curious and I don't mean this in a judgy way, but do you think you or anyone else would have jumped in if he actually started stabbing her? I think these things happen so fast it would be hard to say what I would do.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
Slightly hijacking this thread but how safe do some of you feel walking downtown? I have always felt safe, yeah sure you see the occasional person who is high on drugs or suffering from mental health, but almost always they never bother you.

Well first off, there was that random stabbing near the C-Train station but today for the first time I saw something that really shook me. Walking to work downtown on a busy street and I see someone who clearly was on drugs was pretending to stab a lady who was slightly in front with her headphones on. At first, I am thinking ok well this is somewhat typical, until I realized he actually had a knife in his hand. It just made my heart drop, I have never felt something so sickening before. Luckily nothing happened and the man started stabbing the wall after we crossed the intersection. The way the lady was walking calmly makes me thing she had no idea he had a knife. Is this common?
I've never really felt unsafe in Calgary downtown. Really, for a major Urban Area of over a million people our crime rate here is really low. We're about as safe as it gets.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #59
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's really uncommon for incidents, but I personally keep my head on a swivel and I don't stand super close to the yellow line when I'm on a train station platform downtown.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #60
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve9981 For This Useful Post: