Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #621
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a chat with Burke in May. He said that Iginla is not a direction they were going to go. They want to prioritize getting younger. I also heard at the deadline last year, from someone very very high up in the organization that both sides were not interested.

However, circumstances change. Iginla could want to come here now that the Flames appear to be a contender. Management may want to add a guy like him. I don't know.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #622
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I had a chat with Burke in May. He said that Iginla is not a direction they were going to go. They want to prioritize getting younger. I also heard at the deadline last year, from someone very very high up in the organization that both sides were not interested.

However, circumstances change. Iginla could want to come here now that the Flames appear to be a contender. Management may want to add a guy like him. I don't know.
Definitely seemed like plan A was Patrick Sharp.

The Flames want a right shot that can take faceoffs. Really all that is left on the UFA market is the 3 old men. I truly believe Iggy is the best fit so I hope it happens and am excited by some of the comments others have verified that he may have interest in returning. Having said that everything you hear from the organization publically and even the FAN shoot it down on a regular basis. Hope it happens but not betting on it
Old 07-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #623
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bringing Iggy back would be a fairly high risk move for Tre. It could turn out to be a great move and Tre looks like a hero, or it could blow up in his face and a lot of other good moves he has made would be overshadowed by this.

If I was in his shoes I am not sure which way I would go on this.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #624
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

While signing Iginla would bring some excitement, I would hate to see a older slower Iginla take a spot from a younger guy that deserves a spot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #625
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
While signing Iginla would bring some excitement, I would hate to see a older slower Iginla take a spot from a younger guy that deserves a spot.
With little roster turnover there's only really 1-2 guys that I truly expect to push for open spots.

Bouma and Chiasson's spots are open, one of which is probably to be taken up by Jankowski. The other one could go to Foo, but I wouldn't be surprised if he needs a bit of AHL time.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #626
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Bringing Iggy back would be a fairly high risk move for Tre. It could turn out to be a great move and Tre looks like a hero, or it could blow up in his face and a lot of other good moves he has made would be overshadowed by this.

If I was in his shoes I am not sure which way I would go on this.
I disagree with it being high risk. Not only is it low risk/cost, but the term is short. You give our former icon the chance to not only compete for the cup, but make his career end full circle. It would certainly not take away from any of the moves he's made as far as cap management, and building the team the way it is now. We'd probably have Jankowski come in to take a roster spot while our other prospects like Foo could use some AHL seasoning. On management's end, there is quite literally next to no risk signing Iginla for one year.

Last edited by SmoggyFlamesFan; 07-15-2017 at 11:45 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #627
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It could certainly be a distraction...I think that is the risk
Old 07-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #628
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

What do people mean by this? Do you think the attention that Iginla will receive from the media and fans will negatively affect the rest of the team?

Iginla is a professional who has now spent significant time in a lot of locker rooms. I think he is smart enough to recognize the role he will have with any team with which he signs. Flames management and coaches are not dumb, and I expect will know exactly how to integrate him into this new group. It is not like they would be signing Sean Avery or picking up Evandro Kane. I truly believe that this fear is overblown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 07-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #629
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
What you may see as a distraction, I see as motivation to rally behind. It would be a huge emotional boost to the fan base and the team. Glass half full vs half empty.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #630
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

For people to believe that Iggy would be a distraction, you have to believe that the team will one, be confused as to who the actual captain is, Iggy or Gio, or you have to believe Iggy is sour in the locker room.

On the first on, Iggy has been gone too long, and is so much not the player he was, and I think only 3 team members left from when he was here before (and one of them is the new captain). I don't think there is much risk that the team doesn't realize who the captain is. On the second, no way the Flames bring him back if they think he's a locker room issues.

So, I don't think anyone should worry about the distraction, but that still doesn't mean bringing him back is a good idea.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #631
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only distractions that will exist are lazy articles and over excited fans attributing way too much to what's going to be a tertiary guy. I'm sure Iginla, the Flames and management will have clear expectations if they came to an agreement.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #632
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like him back just for the toughness he would give. After losing Engelland, we need some.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #633
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's *something* to this, but I'm not sure how much.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #634
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
There's *something* to this, but I'm not sure how much.
Yeah who knows at this point. Maybe Iginla is the Flames Plan B as they may be looking at Jagr or Vanek as a Plan A at the moment. Maybe The Flames are a Plan B to Iginla as he may be talking to Edmonton or another club. Maybe they are both a backup option for each other. Time will tell, but I assume it will all happen once Bennett/Kulak etc are given their new contracts.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #635
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
Yeah who knows at this point. Maybe Iginla is the Flames Plan B as they may be looking at Jagr or Vanek as a Plan A at the moment. Maybe The Flames are a Plan B to Iginla as he may be talking to Edmonton or another club. Maybe they are both a backup option for each other. Time will tell, but I assume it will all happen once Bennett/Kulak etc are given their new contracts.
I imagine that Calgary is likely Iginla's Plan B while he is in talks with Edmonton, who is probably crunching the numbers to fit him in on a 5 x $5.0 m deal. If he cant't get that, then I fully expect him to return to the Flames for a year @ $1.5–2.0 m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 07-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #636
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #637
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Bring him home.

I'm going to miss Engelland. How he came back with those couple shots immediately after taking several direct hits.... what a machine.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #638
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring him home!!!!

Old 07-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #639
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Iggy, but he is a shadow of his former self.

I really don't want to get the band back together.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #640
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
What you may see as a distraction, I see as motivation to rally behind. It would be a huge emotional boost to the fan base and the team. Glass half full vs half empty.
So how do you feel about having to carry dead weight at your job? How do you feel when you knock your dick into the dirt and some guy that's been around forever gets to slide, just because they've been around forever? That ever get on your nerves? Or how about when management brings in some dufus who is a friend of someone and doesn't contribute like everyone else, but they get all the attention, because of whose friend they are? That ever piss you off?

I've never been a fan of the "mascot" player. It isn't a motivator. After high school, this #### is garbage. Sure, you feel good for Rudy, but you aren't playing the game for him. You sure as hell hate it when someone focuses on Rudy and you're bleeding out there for your team, while Rudy is on the bench doing nothing or playing sheltered minutes. Respect the players who are out there killing themselves and provide them supporting players who will give the team the best chance to win, not give the fans some warm and fuzzy. No one is going to play any harder because Iginla is on the roster, but they are going to resent the #### out of being asked questions about a player on the margins of the roster when they are the guys carrying the load and not getting the respect they deserve.

Anyone who thinks the guys from the '89 Flames were playing for McDonald, and not for fulfilling their personal dreams of winning a Stanley Cup is absolutely delusional. McDonald was a great media story, and nice for the team, but none of those players were thinking about Lanny when they were battling along the boards or fighting to score a goal. When asked after winning the Conn Smythe, Al MacInnis didn't say "Lanny's going to Disneyland!" No one is going to give a shot about Iginla when it comes down to game seven and overtime is on the line. This is their shot at immortality. They'll play for themselves and the guys who helped them get there, not a late addition who is a hanger on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread