Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #61
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Happy to see them gone. Couldn't imagine ever wanting to watch either of them on Youtube.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #62
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The getting on the same flight part always bothered me. Is the 1st place team really at the airport at 2am while the last place team gets there at 7am? That's a 5 hour sleep advantage for the last place team.

Or is that just editing?
This always bugs me when one of my favourite teams is in the lead and loses their advantage, but for practical reasons I can see why the organizers do this. The first place team could have gone to bed earlier, so I don't see the sleep part making a big difference. Sure, you're on a weird schedule perhaps, but that's what the race is all about.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #63
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I understand it (from what I've read about the US version), every team has the same break after checking in at the end of a leg. They used to always say it was 12 hours, but they don't do that anymore, so it might be more or less than 12.

I believe the production crew who works on the show are required to be given a minimum of 12 hours off between legs, and every few days, they get a full day off.

It takes nearly a month to shoot the full season, so there's obviously some time off along the way.

After check-in, all the teams have to do their post-leg interviews, so one advantage to finishing first is that you get your interview done right away and don't have to wait for any teams ahead of you.

If a team has too much time to kill before their next flight, I don't think there's any rule against them going back to the hotel to catch a couple more hours of sleep if they wanted to.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #64
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
This always bugs me when one of my favourite teams is in the lead and loses their advantage, but for practical reasons I can see why the organizers do this. The first place team could have gone to bed earlier, so I don't see the sleep part making a big difference. Sure, you're on a weird schedule perhaps, but that's what the race is all about.
Agreed, its a little annoying, but as you mention they need the bottlenecks for both practicality and entertainment. I think it was the 1st season of the The Amazing Race USA that the 3rd place team did not even finish the race. They were something like 2 or 3 days behind.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #65
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that was a really good episode, lots of tension at the end as it came down to my team and my wife's. When they showed the newfies last she cursed and left! Hehe. So in one episode all the express passes got used/dumped.

It felt like the blacksmith had it out for the dude bros though. He seemed to really be enjoying failing them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #66
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really didn't understand the Newfies' logic when they took one look at the pottery challenge, thought it would be too hard so went and struggled for a long time at the blacksmith challenge.

When she couldn't even swing the hammer with one hand, it should have been the clue that it wasn't the challenge for them and either go back and try the pottery or use the Express Pass.

If they had done either of those things, they would have survived.

Off to the Great Wall next week and a likely non-elimination leg.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #67
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I thought that was a really good episode, lots of tension at the end as it came down to my team and my wife's. When they showed the newfies last she cursed and left! Hehe. So in one episode all the express passes got used/dumped.

It felt like the blacksmith had it out for the dude bros though. He seemed to really be enjoying failing them.
I thought so too! It seemed he was almost gleeful every time he said it was no good. On other skills, people have passed with less than perfect items.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #68
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they knew each other, it's a small valley and he lived there for awhile. Maybe they had a negative interaction in the past.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #69
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It also looked like some of the other ones that were accepted weren't that good.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #70
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hilarious that the one team was sure they were in first place only to find out they came in fifth. Bit of a crushing blow I'm sure.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #71
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Woohoo my teams!

Although it was looking pretty bleak for Korey and Ivana until we all discovered they were pottery savants.

I don't know why Megan and Courtney didn't use their express press. When you've struggled with both sides of the detour, you do need it. I think they overestimated themselves, because of coming in first on the previous leg. They forgot that they were almost last in the first leg.

Last edited by Amethyst; 07-19-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #72
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Woohoo my teams!

Although it was looking pretty bleak for Korey and Ivana until we all discovered they were pottery savants.

I don't know why Megan and Courtney didn't use their express press. When you've struggled with both sides of the detour, you do need it. I think they overestimated themselves, because of coming in first on the previous leg. They forgot that they were almost last in the first leg.
I was scratching my head too, they knew they were in trouble when they switched twice. I would have used it to save my butt.

It's really hard to tell who'll come out on top, everyone seems to switch spots every week. Kicking myself for passing up on Sam & Paul. They seem to be a real threat to sneak into the top 3.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #73
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the 3rd AR Canada was basically tailored for me, especially when it got back to Penticton. I spend a lot of time there, and knew exactly where the small stops were. In Edmonton they had to curl, memorize something, and then they ended in Vancouver and Whistler where I live.

This season would start off really well for me. The Capilano suspension bridge and Gassy Jack places are easy for locals. I'm guessing it was quicker to run to the Fairmont than to take a cab, and once they said Van Dusen I knew it would be at the centre of the maze before they showed it on TV. I was born in Trail, and spent 17 years there. When they said hang with Bob, I knew it was the bridge. I enjoyed watching the people get lost in Nelson, because there aren't that many streets. The businesses that were getting coffee I wouldn't even need addresses, and the provincial park is easy to get to. Now with them going to China, and my Chinese wife, I feel I'd have a big advantage in the game still.

I am curious to know how much help they get in terms of direction. Being a local from the Kootenays I know things, but if you put me in Toronto or a small town in Manitoba I'd be lost. Do I get a map with my package? Do they just continually ask strangers? I saw some shots of people asking, but Zuckerberg Island isn't easy to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #74
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They really focused on the part where you had to smack it flat so it would be flush with a wall when they did the demonstration. The giv'er guys didn't do it correctly. Ever. I understand why they were failed.

The Newfy chicks, wtf. I knew they were toast when they showed the clip of them laughing about the giv'er guys giving them the express pass when they were such a great team. What a bone headed move. As soon as you find out there's only one or two groups left and you're still struggling, you use it.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #75
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I thought the 3rd AR Canada was basically tailored for me, especially when it got back to Penticton. I spend a lot of time there, and knew exactly where the small stops were. In Edmonton they had to curl, memorize something, and then they ended in Vancouver and Whistler where I live.

This season would start off really well for me. The Capilano suspension bridge and Gassy Jack places are easy for locals. I'm guessing it was quicker to run to the Fairmont than to take a cab, and once they said Van Dusen I knew it would be at the centre of the maze before they showed it on TV. I was born in Trail, and spent 17 years there. When they said hang with Bob, I knew it was the bridge. I enjoyed watching the people get lost in Nelson, because there aren't that many streets. The businesses that were getting coffee I wouldn't even need addresses, and the provincial park is easy to get to. Now with them going to China, and my Chinese wife, I feel I'd have a big advantage in the game still.

I am curious to know how much help they get in terms of direction. Being a local from the Kootenays I know things, but if you put me in Toronto or a small town in Manitoba I'd be lost. Do I get a map with my package? Do they just continually ask strangers? I saw some shots of people asking, but Zuckerberg Island isn't easy to find.
From what I know of the show, not much. In the past, teams have stopped at gas stations and hotels to get maps, so I don't think they get any. Sometimes the vehicle will have a navigation system they can use, if it's part of the promo (product placement).

Also, often teams fail when they get somewhere they know. On the original, there was talk of a "hometown curse." I think people get over-confident when they are going somewhere they know. Of course, if you have a teammate who speaks the language in a foreign country, that's a big help!
Old 07-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #76
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
They really focused on the part where you had to smack it flat so it would be flush with a wall when they did the demonstration. The giv'er guys didn't do it correctly. Ever. I understand why they were failed.

The Newfy chicks, wtf. I knew they were toast when they showed the clip of them laughing about the giv'er guys giving them the express pass when they were such a great team. What a bone headed move. As soon as you find out there's only one or two groups left and you're still struggling, you use it.
Yup, turns out it was a great move giving them the pass! The girls answered a question in an earlier task as a "thank-you" payment and then went out with an express pass in hand, so it didn't even hurt them position-wise at any point.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #77
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I saw in last week's preview there was going to be diving involved, I thought it would be harder than they made it seem. Even a 3m board would be too high for me, I wouldn't be able to do that. I could jump off it, but not dive.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:51 AM   #78
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that was a decent episode again. One thing I'd love is for them to never have a taxi from the last challenge to the mat. Have John within 1-2km, make them find the spot and have it be a foot race. I hate false-taxi drama.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 PM   #79
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought that was a decent episode again. One thing I'd love is for them to never have a taxi from the last challenge to the mat. Have John within 1-2km, make them find the spot and have it be a foot race. I hate false-taxi drama.
The problem is, if it's not false-taxi drama, it will be other false drama. They love to make the endings look a lot closer than they actually are.

Take this week's episode for example. We see Korey & Ivana go an hour in the wrong direction on the way to the Pit Stop ... but they still finish ahead of Zed & Shabbir who appeared to leave the final challenge just a little while after Korey & Ivana.

I liked this week's leg, although the first part of the episode was essentially pointless since they were all on the same flight to Bangkok and had to wait for the Cat Cafe to open in the morning. I guess the interlude in Shanghai got Sinorama some value for their sponsorship.

Next week's looks like it should be a good one with the teams needing to take the Citizenship test. The horse grooming challenge looks a little gross though.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #80
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

The detours last night seemed wildly unbalanced. Winning that fast forward was very lucky, a great day off for those two I would suspect.