Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #21
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they going to sing the Irish national anthem? I can't believe they only sang the American one at may-pac.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #22
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Are they going to sing the Irish national anthem? I can't believe they only sang the American one at may-pac.
The national anthem of the Philippines is karaoke.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #23
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Luckily I am not going to Vegas at this time. Last time I went during a big fight it wasn't all that great for those of us non-super rich plebs.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #24
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

McGregor stands no chance since it is a straight boxing match, but he is getting at least a $100-mil payday.

Even I don't mind getting punched in the face if I am getting $100-mil....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #25
jlemire
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I may eat my words but I will almost promise you the cheapest facevalue ticket will be over $1000 prob. closer to $1500. Mayweather/Pac was $1500 with 80% of the tickets over $3000 facevalue. I was lucky enough to pull a single in the public onsale I nearly had to clean up the floor when I saw the facevalue of $5295 for a crappy lower level (these were nowhere near the floor in a corner and terrible seats) I too will be down there that weekend (a buddies Stag) and I will be watching the secondary market and hope the bottom falls out on it like the Mayweather/Pac fight did.
jlemire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlemire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #26
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So they are saying the fight will be at the Tmobile Arena, but there is already a basketball event there that night (Some Allen Iverson event). Very weird.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #27
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone explain to me how Mayweather could only be -550ish right now???

Like, under what plausible scenario could McGregor win here? A lucky punch and that's it? Surely the chances of that are way less than 15%.

Is it just dumb money pushing the line there for now or am I missing something. Like, am I underestimating Mayweather's old age and lack of recent training?

Seems as though Vegas will get killed at the current line.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #28
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I read that in the first day or so after the fight became official that like 80+% of the bets were made on McGregor. Now that makes sense because as a big underdog you're going to get a lot of smaller bets from people hoping to make a big return. But yeah it's pretty insane that Conor is getting better odds than several of Floyd's most recent boxing opponents. For instance Andre Berto, Floyd's last opponent, was -3000. Berto would wreck Conor, as would almost all of Floyd's former opponents. All the heavy money will be on Floyd of course.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #29
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can somebody explain to me the vegas odds thing? I sometimes see +200 or -100 or whatever. What does it mean and how do I read it?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #30
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Can somebody explain to me the vegas odds thing? I sometimes see +200 or -100 or whatever. What does it mean and how do I read it?
It's called the money line and it allows you to place a wager without considering "odds" as it were as they are already built in.

If Mayweather is -550 in this fight it means that in order for you to win $100, you would need to place down $550. Then if Mayweather wins, you would collect $650.

If McGregor was +700 as an example, it would mean that if you placed a $100 wager and he wins the fight, you would collect $800...your original wager as well as the $700.

http://www.oddsshark.com/sports-bett...ing-money-line
Old 06-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #31
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great. Explained it well. Somewhat odd considering one is how much would it take for you to win $100 while the other is from the angle of if you placed a $100 wager how much would you win? Interesting though.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #32
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Reading this thread the thought occurred to me... I'm surprised they aren't doing the weigh in on PPV. Like it's money for Maywearher and you KNOW it's going to be a sh-tshow

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #33
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, if McGregor somehow wins, is this the end of the line for boxing? It's already become a second-tier sport.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #34
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Man, if McGregor somehow wins, is this the end of the line for boxing? It's already become a second-tier sport.
Boxing is almost already dead, and I'm sure down the road MMA will suffer as well. Boxing died because of greed and promoters hoarding everything. When a person is putting their life on the line to fight, they should be paid more to take that risk. Most reasonable people wouldn't fight for a few thousand dollars. MMA will decline in future years as fighting becomes more and more regulated with more concerns about peoples health. Anyway, that's just my thought, but I do believe MMA's popularity was at it's finest when GSP and Silva were at the top of their divisions.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:29 AM   #35
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Without even a mention of a fix I think if McGregor wins it'll change both sports, I just can't decide for the good or for the bad.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:54 AM   #36
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Boxing is dead/almost dead" comments in a thread about an MMA fighter choosing to get into a boxing ring for the first time ever professionally, so that he can earn more in one night than he would in his next ten years of MMA fights combined....hmmmmmm. Yeah boxing has a multitude of issues no doubt, and it's popularity isn't what it once was, but with this fight, Canelo-JCCJr, Canelo-GGG and Joshua-Klitchsko, that's four fights that will generate as much money as all MMA fights this year will combined, maybe even by twofold.

Boxing's problem is the best guys never fight each other because promoters (and fighters too) are too scared to expose guys to potential losses, Floyd being one of the prime examples of this. But when boxing does give us the best against the best (or sideshows like this), it dwarfs what MMA brings in financially. Boxing just needs a monopoly promotion like the UFC to have all the best fighters under one promotion, and matchmaking that actually gives us best on best.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #37
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Was informed today by one of the Irishmen that works with us he has already booked flight and hotel.

when I asked him about tickest he just laughed and said it will be enough that his brother is flying in from Dublin and just take all the atmosphere in. I was curious because the day this was announced he said he would pony up 1000 bucks a seat to attend, so i wondered why not now?

He stated...cheapest seats in the house are starting at 2500 a piece.

LOL!!

Sure enough...2120 USD is the cheapest and thats right from the TMobile arena. (2750 CDN)

http://www.ticketoffices.com/Floyd-M.../14509/2372353

Unreal.

Last edited by transplant99; 06-19-2017 at 06:26 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #38
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually digging this rumored undercard. Might make this thing worth a buy

Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #39
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
"Boxing is dead/almost dead" comments in a thread about an MMA fighter choosing to get into a boxing ring for the first time ever professionally, so that he can earn more in one night than he would in his next ten years of MMA fights combined....hmmmmmm. Yeah boxing has a multitude of issues no doubt, and it's popularity isn't what it once was, but with this fight, Canelo-JCCJr, Canelo-GGG and Joshua-Klitchsko, that's four fights that will generate as much money as all MMA fights this year will combined, maybe even by twofold.

Boxing's problem is the best guys never fight each other because promoters (and fighters too) are too scared to expose guys to potential losses, Floyd being one of the prime examples of this. But when boxing does give us the best against the best (or sideshows like this), it dwarfs what MMA brings in financially. Boxing just needs a monopoly promotion like the UFC to have all the best fighters under one promotion, and matchmaking that actually gives us best on best.
You're not wrong, but it'll never be what it was in it's heyday and if it's not rising in popularity it's declining. When it comes to payday, who are boxing's stars nowadays? Klitchsko, Mayweather and probably GGG. And even though GGG is probably the best, I don't see him bringing in the fairweather fan. So boxing's real draws are at the end of their careers.

I'm not arguing that it will still draw that huge PPV number once every 3 years, but people are not watching it for the sport anymore. These type of events and the sideshow it is is what is selling it. The sport is honestly kinda dead. MMA plateaued as well and while it may waver up and down, I personally think over time physical contact sports like MMA and Boxing will get increasingly regulated (such as softer gloves, headgear, etc) and the sport will decline accordingly.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #40
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well besides Floyd, Canelo and Joshua are the two biggest PPV stars right now, Canelo just did over a million against Cesar Chavez Jr., and Joshua did a million buys in the UK against Klitchsko (albeit for around $30 USD on UK PPV). GGG is great but he's been ducked so much he's never been in a truly big fight. GGG should bring in the fairweather fan of course, he (and Canelo) are stalking fighters with tremendous power and they go for the finish all the time. Really the guy who should be the next superstar is Lomachenko, he is insane and could end up top ten all-time or even top five. He was the only thing worth watching on the Manny-Floyd card.

Boxing should be like WWE back in the day, have four major events a year, charge $80 but have three top quality fights. Could easily do 2 million PPVs with good matchups, so everyone who fights makes eight figures. But too many promoters, too many belts, too many guys afraid to fight the best. It's pretty much horse racing now, most people don't care outside the major events, but it still makes more money than you'd think.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 06-19-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post: