Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #1261
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Two rounds in a row I've shot 37 on the front and followed it up with a back 9 accident!

37-41-78 on Wednesday
37-43-80 today

Can't put two good nines together!
Consistency is something we all strive for but seldom achieve.

My last 40 rounds, dating back to the start of the year, are just an example of how frustrating golf can be in the elusive chase of some consistency. 80, 75, 82, 78, 79, 92(!), 80, 73, 74, 84, 78, 79, 70, 76, 78, 84, 83, 77, 82, 77, 79, 69, 83, 76, 77, 76, 73, 83, 83, 78, 72, 81, 68, 74, 69, 72, 85, 73, 86, 78. Just when you think you have it coming together, a round jumps in that completely destroys your confidence.

The thing is you have to practice, and you need to practice as much as you play. Most of us can't afford the time and energy to commit to the type of regiment it takes to develop the consistency to limit the peaks and valleys. With practice comes the ability to get out of a jam and scramble to save strokes. Also, the putter needs to be razor sharp, and most players have poor putting skills and the dedication to develop good putting skills.

I've kind of stopped caring about scores and have become more focused on how I hit the ball. If I come off the course with a bad score but struck the ball well I am much happier than if I score well and beat the ball all over the course. Like my last two rounds are a good display of that. I hit the ball great but had some bad luck around the greens and could make a put to save my life, and shot 86. The next round I went out and played army golf (left-right-left-right) by scrambled well and trimmed eight shots off the previous round. Which one was I more content with? The bigger number because I hit the ball consistently but got hurt by some bad bounces and a cold putter (six hard 90 degree lip outs). The only thing you can do is recognize that the ups and downs are part of golf and work to minimize the peaks and valleys.

The way I deal with consistency challenges and the crazy swings is to take to to the putting and pitching greens. Instead of hitting more drivers or wedges I'll go and spend my vast majority of my practice/warm-up time on the green doing putting drills, or pitching for feel. Usually after a few rounds of that warm-up I get into a better groove and have a better outlook on recovering from a bad hole, so they don't turn into two or three bad holes in a row - my personal nemesis on the golf course. Give that a shot and see how it helps your game.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #1262
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Heading down to Crowsnest Pass on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing the changes they have planned.
Bailed on Crowsnest. Heard through a friend that the course is under construction and will be until 2019. When I called the course to ask, they told me it's playing as a par 68, with 17 converted to a par 4 and a par 3. Hole 11 is gone. New range is open, not sure where on the course it's located.

Will pop in on my way to BC and report back. Apparently there are drwaings at the course. There is no information that I can find on the internet.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:03 AM   #1263
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speargrass is in amazing shape right now. Greens are smooth and lightning fast. $59 with cart after 3pm on the weekend. Pretty hard to beat that!!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #1264
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had an awesome back 9 today after a mediocre front 9...

44-35-79

Double bogeyed the 17th when I started thinking I might be under par on the back.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #1265
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you like fast greens? Like PGA Tour fast? Cause yeah I was at Delacour over the weekend and they are getting ready to host a qualifier for I believe a CPGA event (might be APGA), and I've only ever seen faster greens at Priddis. Now I normally love fast greens, but even these were almost too much. Anything outside four feet was tricky, and even inside four feet had to be center cut or it was lipping out.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #1266
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Had an awesome back 9 today after a mediocre front 9...

44-35-79

Double bogeyed the 17th when I started thinking I might be under par on the back.
What course?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #1267
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started par, birdie last night, then drove a bit right into some trees on a par 5. Tried to play it safe with a simple lay up, but did so poorly and somehow managed to lose my ball in tall grass, ending up with a triple. Decided to see what would have happened in a parallel universe and dropped a ball to play the hero shot - struck my hybrid perfectly through the trees onto the green within 15 feet and 2 putted for a fake-news birdie.

Another interesting thing happened later on...Laying up a 7 iron from about 250 yards after a garbage drive - hit it perfectly, but it must have landed on the cart path and bounced up to within about 30 yards of the hole, near where the group in front was (brand new ball was scuffed up). They let me know when I came by and they were on the next tee box...I was confused and apologized, but hadn't figured out the cart path explanation yet (and I don't think they knew it hit that path either).

Even with wind at my back it shouldn't have been conceivable...but I suppose it was a good reminder that a little extra margin of error to the group in front never hurts.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #1268
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Do you like fast greens? Like PGA Tour fast? Cause yeah I was at Delacour over the weekend and they are getting ready to host a qualifier for I believe a CPGA event (might be APGA), and I've only ever seen faster greens at Priddis. Now I normally love fast greens, but even these were almost too much. Anything outside four feet was tricky, and even inside four feet had to be center cut or it was lipping out.
Seems to be a common trend around most courses. Just not a lot of moisture this year and a lot of the greens I walk on are pretty firm.

Same scenario at Sirocco, greens are running insanely quick. There are a couple holes if you are on the wrong side of the flag you are pretty much guaranteed a 3-putt. That course has enough scary putts as is. (See the 6ht hole)
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #1269
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Bailed on Crowsnest. Heard through a friend that the course is under construction and will be until 2019. When I called the course to ask, they told me it's playing as a par 68, with 17 converted to a par 4 and a par 3. Hole 11 is gone. New range is open, not sure where on the course it's located.

Will pop in on my way to BC and report back. Apparently there are drwaings at the course. There is no information that I can find on the internet.
Seeing as how I live right by it, I can inform you that the course is still playing fine. 11 and 12 are playing different, but that's it. Yes there are drawings there showing the new hole layouts as well as the new clubhouse. It's an exciting time for that course. The only fear is that they are going to jack the rates because of the improvements that are upcoming, but that has yet to be seen.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #1270
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What course?
Lynx Ridge
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #1271
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yup, played there on Sunday and those were insane. Just when I gained some confidence in my putting.

They've cut back some fescue since I last played there, but the course is still in excellent shape and pretty challenging.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #1272
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Topgolf is coming to Canada!

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...in-canada.html
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #1273
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Being partnered with Cineplex makes me think it will be garbage compared to the American ones.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #1274
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played the forest at Glencoe today, beautiful course, lightning fast greens, easily the fastest and firmest I've played this year. Fun day.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:43 PM   #1275
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Being partnered with Cineplex makes me think it will be garbage compared to the American ones.
I don't follow. Cineplex theatres are quite nice.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #1276
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Golf... what a game.

I used to be a 2 handicap when I was 15-20 (aka before responsibility). My swing has slowly deteriorated over the last 12 years and occasionally with enough beers, and patience it can all come back together.

I was +9 after 6 holes yesterday, then all of a sudden it started clicking. Finished the last 12 holes -2 to shoot a smooth 79. What a game.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #1277
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't follow. Cineplex theatres are quite nice.
They may be nice but I feel they are run cheaply.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #1278
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
They may be nice but I feel they are run cheaply.
I don't know if you're incredibly wealthy or what, but you seem to think every food establishment and amenity in this world that isn't top of the line is sub par or garbage. It's very noticeable from you, just FYI.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #1279
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played Gleneagles for the first time and I found the green on the slow side and doesn't roll true. Anyone feels the same? It is an otherwise well maintained course with a few interesting holes.

Last edited by darklord700; 07-30-2017 at 07:43 PM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #1280
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

GlenEagles is usually well conditioned but massively over priced in my opinion.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow