Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #141
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It's amazing, in a way, how the freaking GM had to come out and clear the air around Johnny's statement.

That's how rabid Calgary hockey fans are. But also how irrational they are.

He's right you know; go get a hobby or go on a walk.

*goes straight to Iginla thread to check for news and rumors*
Treliving had to address that garbage Rumorbreak Ovie rumor from earlier this summer. At the STH event he even told a story about how he had to call Bennett and assure him it is false.

This is at least a little more credible but in my opinion takes on a new life when a Sportsnet blogger takes the story and puts a bit of a spin on it to make things sound worse. The fact Tre did a media availability the same day to announce the Valimaki signing put him in a spot to respond to this non-story.

While I am one of the people that expect Johnny to play in the States in his 30's the Flames have 3-4 years before they need to consider moving him or not and have him locked up for 5.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #142
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Without adding any credence whatsoever to the idea that Johnny saying what he said means anything, I would like to point out that it's a little defensive/dismissive to suggest that what he said was the norm.

Again, not saying he was wrong to say what he did or even that he needs to change his answers in the future but it should be pointed out that "Well, my allegiances changed the day I pulled on that (insert team) sweater" "I grew up a (insert team fan) but I'm a full (insert team) guy now" are standard responses to these questions for a reason.

I personally prefer non-standard, off the cuff responses like Johnny has always provided in his hometown that he clearly loves, but let's not pretend that it's standard operating procedure to say it would be sweet to play for another, specific NHL team, regardless of the medium. You rarely hear it and for good reason.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #143
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wayne Simmons for Gaudreau would actually solve the first line right wing issue for the Flames for the next 6 years. I really like Johnny Hockey, but damn, I like this idea for a championship team!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #144
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I would do Johnny Gaudreau for Wayne Simmonds if we could somehow turn around and trade Wayne Simmonds for Johnny Gaudreau.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-24-2017 at 01:08 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #145
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Wayne Simmons for Gaudreau would actually solve the first line right wing issue for the Flames for the next 6 years. I really like Johnny Hockey, but damn, I like this idea for a championship team!

Simmonds is only under contract for 2 more seasons, then he will be a 30 year old UFA looking for a massive contract extension.

That's a terrible idea.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #146
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is SImmonds going to be a first line winger when he is in his mid-30's? This also eliminates the Flames strength on LW and removes their only true offensive gamebreaker. This type of trade would cripple the rebuild.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #147
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has anyone asked Brouwer if he thinks it would be cool to be a Flyer?
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #148
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Has anyone asked Brouwer if he thinks it would be cool to be a Flyer?
Actually the question should be has anyone asked Ron Hextall if he thinks it would be cool for Brouwer to be a Flyer?
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #149
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Simmonds for Gaudreau?

Gross.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #150
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ron Hextal, is that you?
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #151
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simmonds is also not nearly as good as Gaudreau.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #152
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers93 View Post
This isn't the first time Johnny has said that he'd like to play in Philly one day. TBH a return with Hall as a base would be a great return.
This would make at least a modicum of sense...if Hall played in Philly.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #153
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hall's got loser stink all over him. That's why he was traded. Why would we or any team that wants to win have him?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #154
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Is SImmonds going to be a first line winger when he is in his mid-30's? This also eliminates the Flames strength on LW and removes their only true offensive gamebreaker. This type of trade would cripple the rebuild.
I don't think the Flames are in rebuild mode for the next couple of years unless what they have now is as bad as it was 4-5 years ago. From recent acquisitions, I think Tre have built a team to compete with the top teams in the Western Conference. All he has to do is get a couple of natural big right wingers, especially for the first line and this team looks pretty. Still think the Flames forward lines look mediocre, except for the Backlund, Frolik, and Tkachuk line.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #155
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I kind of want to slap you, and I love Simmonds.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #156
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think the Flames are in rebuild mode for the next couple of years unless what they have now is as bad as it was 4-5 years ago. From recent acquisitions, I think Tre have built a team to compete with the top teams in the Western Conference. All he has to do is get a couple of natural big right wingers, especially for the first line and this team looks pretty. Still think the Flames forward lines look mediocre, except for the Backlund, Frolik, and Tkachuk line.
So you don't think we're in rebuild mode but do think the forward ranks are largely mediocre...

and you want to fill a hole at RW by opening a huge one at LW giving away the younger, better player locked to a long term contract for an older player on a shorter one?

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #157
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The last comment I find interesting. Personally I think removing Gaudreau from the lineup makes the forward ranks less than mediocre. Johnny is the true game breaker on the roster and the focal point of the offense. Also trading a 24 year old for a guy turning 29 in a month whose best season scoring is less than Johnny's worst. I feel this trade drastically shrinks the window to win and makes the team worse immediately.

I would love Simmonds on the Monahan/Gaudreau line but not at the expense of Gaudreau.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #158
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I kind of want to slap you, and I love Simmonds.
First thing I thought of when I read that.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #159
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...eau/509441001/

Quote:
DI: I bet your phone was blowing up recently after your interview on 94.1 WIP. They asked you about coming to the Flyers someday and you said it would be great. Did that small spark set off your Twitter account?

JG: Yeah, the way the question was asked I said, “It would be sweet to play in your hometown.” I think if you ask any player in the NHL if they’d like to play in their hometown at some point they’d all say it would be pretty sweet. You’ve got friends, you’ve got family, you’ve got kids you went to school with, you’ve got teachers, you name it. You’ve got people that will be supporting you. The people support me down here, like it’s crazy down here. I’m just really fortunate they follow me up in Calgary. I love Calgary, don’t me wrong. It’s a great city and they’re so passionate about our team. It’s a real hockey city. I really enjoy it up there, don’t get me wrong, but I think if you ask any player if he wants to play in his hometown they’d say it would be pretty cool to do that. I’ve still got five more years on my contract and who knows…if we’re playing well up here in Calgary I could end up staying another four or five years there because I love the city so much. It’s tough to have all those articles come out when it’s something so small, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

DI: Yeah, the same thing has happened for years with Bobby Ryan because Cherry Hill is so close. Any time he was within two years of free agency it seemed like everyone would go nuts for him.

JG: Growing up in South Jersey I could see how passionate the Flyers fans are about their team. Not just Flyers fans, but Phillies fans, Eagles fans…just the Philly area. It’s a big sports city. Growing up I remember when the Flyers were going through those playoff runs and there wasn’t a seat that wasn’t orange. My dad would take me to games and I’d watch and say, ‘It would be cool to play for these guys someday.’ Then I get drafted by Calgary and there’s not a single seat that isn’t red every game, let alone playoff games. I kind of get the best of both worlds there. I get to play in a passionate city that loves our team and our players and then I know how passionate the Flyers fans are down here. I get a lot of support down here in South Jersey. I’m really fortunate with the way people follow me down here.

Dave Isaac; 856-486-2479; disaac@gannettnj.com

Also lots more from Johnny on other topics
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #160
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, what hysterical rumor can we glean from that interview?

Confirmed: Johnny to leave Calgary at end of contract if Flames don't win multiple Cups.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote