Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #1661
Canada 02
Franchise Player
 
Canada 02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Exp:
Default

Ryan Huska re-signed for 3 years
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #1662
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player
 
Roof-Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Haha, that ought to get some folks complaining.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #1663
Freeway
Franchise Player
 
Freeway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

What's the source?
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #1664
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player
 
Roof-Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

I'm listening to the fan interview with Haynes and he and Kerr both just said Huska is back for 3 years.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #1665
Super-Rye
First Line Centre
 
Super-Rye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
What's the source?
http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-...tive-july-1st/
__________________
This is my rarely updated blog!
New:
Trade Deadline Predictions
A Look At Canada's 4 World Cup Defenders
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #1666
Since1984
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Ryan Huska re-signed for 3 years
Excellent! Our prospects have been developing very well under Huska's tutelage. He does an excellent job developing the players both on and off the ice.

Now that he has a stronger supporting cast of players in Stockton I would not be surprised if we made a deep run in the Calder Cup playoffs.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 12:44 AM   #1667
Cgycowboy
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

Great news about Huska
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #1668
dissentowner
Franchise Player
 
dissentowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Excellent! Our prospects have been developing very well under Huska's tutelage. He does an excellent job developing the players both on and off the ice.

Now that he has a stronger supporting cast of players in Stockton I would not be surprised if we made a deep run in the Calder Cup playoffs.
Oh I highly disagree. While the players seem to be developing ok his coaching decisions and lines leave something to be desired. That Stockton team last year should have been much better than their record given the talent they have. Not a fan at all.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #1669
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee
 
KootenayFlamesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Small town, B.C.
Exp:
Default

Great signing. Good young coach.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #1670
Since1984
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Oh I highly disagree. While the players seem to be developing ok his coaching decisions and lines leave something to be desired. That Stockton team last year should have been much better than their record given the talent they have. Not a fan at all.
I know you do and you have said it many times, but what you have yet to understand is the AHL isn't a league where winning is the be all end all. To more than 85% of the AHL teams the #1 most important thing they do is develop and prepare NHL team prospects to be successful in the NHL. When you do take this in to account, you realize that Huska has done a great job and is well respected around hockey circles. He has helped develop defencemen such as Madison Bowey, Tyson Barrie, Damon Severson, Luke Schenn, Josh Gorges, Shea Weber and Tyler Myers while with the Kelowna Rockets yet with the overall lower end of Calgary's prospects he has been able to produce solid fill in guys used for spot duty in the NHL. He has also never had a "losing"(sub .500 win percentage, not including OTL) season as a head coach, ever.

The Calgary Flames own the Stockton Heat for one reason and one reason only, the development of their prospects. The Calgary Flames have decided that Ryan Huska has done such a good job preparing players for the NHL that they offered him not just a one or two year contract but a THREE year contract to head coach the Heat.

Please note, that the players that have graduated to the NHL from Stockton have actually done quite well considering the quite low level of top end talent . The more talent he gets I completely expect him to make some decent runs with Stockton.

Last edited by Since1984; 07-10-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #1671
Flames Draft Watcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Well said Since1984. The hate Huska gets on this board by a vocal minority is bewildering.

Stockton was a super young team. Most of their talent is extremely young. We haven't brought in a ton of minor league ringers. Judging Huska strictly based on their record and the line combos is arrogant and foolish IMO. I'll trust the Flames management on this one. One of our AGM's is there behind the scenes and has the information to judge our coach much better than Calgary fans do. The vocal anti-Huska crowd really shows their true stripes IMO.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #1672
Samonadreau
First Line Centre
 
Samonadreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Well said Since1984. The hate Huska gets on this board by a vocal minority is bewildering.

Stockton was a super young team. Most of their talent is extremely young. We haven't brought in a ton of minor league ringers. Judging Huska strictly based on their record and the line combos is arrogant and foolish IMO. I'll trust the Flames management on this one. One of our AGM's is there behind the scenes and has the information to judge our coach much better than Calgary fans do. The vocal anti-Huska crowd really shows their true stripes IMO.
To be fair a lot of the hate came from players seemingly taking a step back in their sophmore year under Huska. Now recent light on the Poirier situation obviously proves it had nothing to do with huska and Gillies and Klimchik you could blame on injury. Either way he has a chance to prove the naysayers wrong and he will have a steady supply of talented prospects in Stockton for at least the rest of this term.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #1673
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Yeah I also don't mind having him tutoring our young d-men like Kulak, Anderssson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox etc over the next 3 years.

Just a reminder but the following d-men went through Kelowna in his time as coach there:

Josh Georges
Duncan Keith
Shea Weber
Kyle Cumisky
Alex Edler
Tyler Myers
Luke Schenn
Tyson Barrie
Damon Severson
Madison Bowey

That team churned out more quality NHL d-men than pretty much any NHL franchise did over that time period. (Honestly Nashville may have been the only exception)

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-11-2017 at 04:26 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #1674
Since1984
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I also don't mind having him tutoring our young d-men like Kulak, Anderssson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox etc over the next 3 years.

Just a reminder but the following d-men went through Kelowna in his time as coach there:

Josh Georges
Duncan Keith
Shea Weber
Kyle Cumisky
Alex Edler

Tyler Myers
Luke Schenn
Tyson Barrie
Damon Severson
Madison Bowey

That team churned out more quality NHL d-men than pretty much any NHL franchise did over that time period. (Honestly Nashville may have been the only exception)
Perhaps you have me on Ignore. I listed all but the bolded, 3 posts above yours.

Last edited by Since1984; 07-12-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #1675
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player
 
FlamesAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Kingston
Exp:
Default

Matt Frattin signed in the KHL with HC Red Star Kunlun.
__________________
"A pessimist thinks things can't get any worse. An optimist knows they can."
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #1676
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Matt Frattin signed in the KHL with HC Red Star Kunlun.
Playing in Beijing would be cool. That team has a couple of notable former NHL'ers, including Wojtek Wolski and Kyle Chipchura. I wouldn't be opposed to playing there either.
Ozy_Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:55 AM   #1677
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player
 
Calgary4LIfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Exp:
Default

For turning-out defencemen for the Flames, I think Playfair has been the very best AHL coach in that regard. IIRC, Giordano, Brodie (mostly - with Ward finishing him off) and Pardy (I know, I know..) were from his time. Whom else?

I hope that Huska can pull that off. He is definitely starting with a heck of a lot more considering draft placement anyways.

I also quite liked Ward. To be honest, I haven't noticed a change either way - good or bad - since Ward got replaced with Huska. Replacement level prospects haven't seemed to be any better nor any worse prepared, but obviously the organization feels Huska is doing a good job. Lots of turnover in the AHL if I remember, and there are always a few 'up and coming' coaches from the College and Junior ranks. Flames feel strongly enough that Huska is the right guy, and I am good with that. There haven't been many guys that came up through the NHL and managed to stick, but this season should start seeing some of them spending more time in the NHL.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #1678
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!
 
sureLoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Learning Phaneufs skating style
Exp:
Default

Flames need a new assistant coach for Stockton:

Fred Wallace @BayshoreFred
Todd Gill hired by @AttackOHL to replace @RyanCMcGill
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016