Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Glenn is alive?
Yes 51 50.50%
No 50 49.50%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #4641
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Not the best episode... but not the worst of the season either.

Hopefully they pull a U turn and head back to Rick and the others now.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #4642
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
It's not. "Squishy" skulls? No such thing. For anyone that's ever worked with cadavers you know that the bone never really deteriorates. Sure it softens in certain chemical solutions that strip the calcium out, but that isn't likely to be the case with zombies. I've been letting it go, but taking a pocket knife to the side of someone's skull would never, ever work, no matter how rotten they were. The suture joints in the skull are too strong and there aren't a lot of places you can just poke through the bone without a LOT of force. It makes more sense for them to try and find access points through the nose/eyes/base of the neck to get into the brain itself. I've seen too many weak thrusts that just go through bone like it's butter, but that's not the only problem with believability in this show, so I'll just let it go now and assume that the zombie plague also weakens bone to the point of styrofoam.
I thought about that too. There are skeletons buried in the ground for decades, everything rots off, and the bones stay hard. The other major issue is that in a real zombie situation (lol), countries that have winter would be OK once the temperature got below freezing and the flesh froze. Given how much Karl aged, it is reasonable to assume that a few winters have come and gone, and while Georgia may not have a freezing winter, it is reasonable to think that other areas of the U.S. did and it would have given them a chance to take control of the situation.

I do like the show so I try not to think of all the reasons why it is impossible. I just assume that something about the zombie infliction makes the bones brittle and they have antifreezing properties.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #4643
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead take place in the same universe. During season one, Glenn steals a Dodge Challenger, which looks exactly like the one that belonged to Walter, Jr. on Breaking Bad. In season two, Daryl says his brother Merle was a drug dealer before the zombie apocalypse. When a baggie of drugs is shown, you can clearly see Walter White’s Blue Sky meth. In season four, Daryl also described Merle’s supplier as a “janky little white guy,” which might be a reference to Aaron Paul’s Jesse Pinkman.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #4644
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead take place in the same universe. During season one, Glenn steals a Dodge Challenger, which looks exactly like the one that belonged to Walter, Jr. on Breaking Bad. In season two, Daryl says his brother Merle was a drug dealer before the zombie apocalypse. When a baggie of drugs is shown, you can clearly see Walter White’s Blue Sky meth. In season four, Daryl also described Merle’s supplier as a “janky little white guy,” which might be a reference to Aaron Paul’s Jesse Pinkman.

Dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #4645
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I should mention is that Tyreese has the most appropriate skull crushing weapon there is, an extra-long hammer. Add that to his brute strength. He's the most realistic "silent" zombie killer of the whole bunch, except maybe Daryl.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #4646
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
One thing I should mention is that Tyreese has the most appropriate skull crushing weapon there is, an extra-long hammer. Add that to his brute strength. He's the most realistic "silent" zombie killer of the whole bunch, except maybe Daryl.
Michonne says hi.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #4647
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
Michonne says hi.
Yeah, I thought of her too, but apparently she had no training with a samurai sword before the zombies, so I'm skeptical that she could be that skilled and precise with no training. Just another problem that I overlook with this show because I'm so entertained.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #4648
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I thought of her too, but apparently she had no training with a samurai sword before the zombies, so I'm skeptical that she could be that skilled and precise with no training. Just another problem that I overlook with this show because I'm so entertained.
Further she's mostly decapitating them, so she could potentially be running around in a field of zombie heads just snapping at her feet.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #4649
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
On the topic, it makes me wonder if they digest anything? Or would the meat they ingest simply sit in their rotting stomachs?

Everyone poops....except walkers?
You actually got me thinking about this. I would say that the zombie's don't have a need to eat; they just eat based upon instinct as it's the primal part of the brain that is still functioning. That would also explain why people aren't eaten whole. If they get a bite they either get away right after, or even just get partially eaten. Then they turn after dying. In the hospital episode they mentioned that they needed to get the bodies down the shaft while they were still warm, so the zombies would eat them.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #4650
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also, its a virus/bacteria that is controlling the zombies, would the virus or bacteria not eventually eat the entire brain/stem area?

Further, whatever it is that controls the, has a purpose in that control to further its cause... so the reason for biting is the way the bacteria/virus spreads. The biting does have a purpose.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #4651
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, its a virus/bacteria that is controlling the zombies, would the virus or bacteria not eventually eat the entire brain/stem area?

Further, whatever it is that controls the, has a purpose in that control to further its cause... so the reason for biting is the way the bacteria/virus spreads. The biting does have a purpose.
That makes sense, since once the walker's ability to bite is neutralized, the walkers become sedate, like Michonne's pets.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #4652
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

If the virus is spread by biting, how do you explain how people who are not bit will turn once they die????

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 11-13-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #4653
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
If the virus is spread by biting, how do you explain how people who are not bit will turn once they die?
Good call. It's already been explained that everyone is infected. I think that the urge to eat is simply some sort of reflex.

By the way ...I can't believe I'm trying to reason this out.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #4654
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
If the virus is spread by biting, how do you explain how people who are not bit will turn once they die????

Because the writers suck and did not hire biological/viroligical advisors.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #4655
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because the writers suck and did not hire biological/viroligical advisors.
...for a fake, fantastical virus.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #4656
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

We don't even know that it is a virus. It could be something totally alien.

I was thinking it is more like a combination of a virus and parasite (everyone has the parasite dormant within them). The virus is spread by bites and the parasite takes over the brain after death.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #4657
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I often wonder if it even matters to the show how/what/when the virus is active or transmitted.

It isn't about the virus.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #4658
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

To be fair, you don't turn when you get bit, you die after getting bit, and then turn. It could be easily explained that turning has nothing to do with getting bit, since everyone turns when they die, and that the bite itself is toxic enough to simply cause death.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #4659
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I often wonder if it even matters to the show how/what/when the virus is active or transmitted.

It isn't about the virus.
Exactly. The whole reason the story starts with Rick getting shot and then waking up from a coma in the middle of the zombie outbreak is because Kirkman didn't want to deal with any of that part of the story.

All that's important to know is if you get bitten by a zombie, you will die within some undetermined period of time unless you can amputate the affected area shortly after the bite. If you die (whether by zombie bite or any other means) and your brain isn't damaged in some manner, you will turn into a zombie.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #4660
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rick was told about it being airborne in the CDC the second season, there had been hints about this earlier - walkers with no signs of biting.

The zombie bites are just like a super komodo dragon bite, so full of bacteria that you develop a fever and die.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 11-14-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
brains! , i ate your momma , zombies