Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Aliu out day-to-day (lower body)

Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames #Flames forward Akim Aliu (@Dreamer_Aliu78) will not play tonight (lower body, day-to-day). #CGYPHX

Well, that didn't last long.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTF, the Heat and Flames have the worst freakin' luck with injuries.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
You are just a bundle of joy today.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone young other than Brodie has been injured this year.

Baertschi, Backlund, Bouma, Byron, Aliu

Maybe they can bring Horak back up and let him STAY over crap like Begin
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comeau, you need to be the guy who runs around like an idiot now.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Please. Comeau finished one check last night, and it was against the 98-pound-soaking-wet 19 year old Swede.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Everyone young other than Brodie has been injured this year.

Baertschi, Backlund, Bouma, Byron, Aliu

Maybe they can bring Horak back up and let him STAY over crap like Begin
I still don't get why there is so much hate for Begin. The guy is giving the Flames 8 solid minutes every game. Had a great fight/game against Tootoo/RedWings scored a game winner, one of the few guys that throws hits right now, brings speed to the 4th line. I like his game so far this year, he hasn't looked out of place.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Begin gets his job done. I don't think you can expect a guy to drop the gloves once a game, he's done it twice in his short stint not to mention scoring a goal and playing a high intensity game most of the time. Pretty good for a 4th liner meant to rough people up.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sakari For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Please. Comeau finished one check last night, and it was against the 98-pound-soaking-wet 19 year old Swede.
You could catch the sarcasm there? It's hard to convey it on an internet forum but I thought because I was talking about Comeau it would just be easily assumed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I still don't get why there is so much hate for Begin. The guy is giving the Flames 8 solid minutes every game. Had a great fight/game against Tootoo/RedWings scored a game winner, one of the few guys that throws hits right now, brings speed to the 4th line. I like his game so far this year, he hasn't looked out of place.
That is great and all and he might be doing well but I would rather have our young guys playing than guys with 1-2 years left till retirement. Especially since Horak has done relatively well every call-up
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
When I watch him he is slow, out of place and usually running around in the defensive zone. He doesn't seem to bring much in terms of physicality and the fights I have seen with his BS wrestling takedowns haven't been impressive.

I don't really hate him just don't see what he brings especially if we have to bring a beer league quality guy to supposedly bring energy and toughness to the line-up.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Why would you remove Begin from the lineup when he's one of the only guys that is adding some sandpiper right now.

Begin is doing just fine.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

This may just be some optics for basically scratching him tonight as I assume Cervenka will be back in.

Cervenka doesn't seem like he's fit enough (with the blood thing, or otherwise) to play back to backs. And instead of looking like all the coaching staff is abandoning all the reasons they brought Aliu in after one game, he gets the day off and then plays on the road trip.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
When I watch him he is slow, out of place and usually running around in the defensive zone. He doesn't seem to bring much in terms of physicality and the fights I have seen with his BS wrestling takedowns haven't been impressive.

I don't really hate him just don't see what he brings especially if we have to bring a beer league quality guy to supposedly bring energy and toughness to the line-up.
You mean his one BS takedown? Begin gives the Flames hard minutes, that is something we have very short supply of and that is why he is valuable to this team right now.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
Begin gets his job done. I don't think you can expect a guy to drop the gloves once a game, he's done it twice in his short stint not to mention scoring a goal and playing a high intensity game most of the time. Pretty good for a 4th liner meant to rough people up.
Only reason Begin is on the roster right now is the fact Bouma is hurt and he is buddies with Gelinas. Had Feaster been able to find grit before the season Begin probably wouldn't have been signed. He's been serviceable but I'd dump him in a sec if we could upgrade. Only thing Feaster did right was to give him a two way so he can earn minor league salary if/when we get someone better which is taking too long imho.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Only reason Begin is on the roster right now is the fact Bouma is hurt and he is buddies with Gelinas. Had Feaster been able to find grit before the season Begin probably wouldn't have been signed. He's been serviceable but I'd dump him in a sec if we could upgrade. Only thing Feaster did right was to give him a two way so he can earn minor league salary if/when we get someone better which is taking too long imho.
So what's wrong with that?? Might be the reason he is playing with such vigor for the Flames right now. He has truly looked like one of the more motivated players for the Flames this year and even if he is here as a stop gap with the loss of Bouma, so what? He's still giving us good hard minutes which is what this team is need of, especially over the next 6 or so games. He's gonna be a guy Hartley leans on for sparks at key times in the game tonight.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Why would you remove Begin from the lineup when he's one of the only guys that is adding some sandpiper right now.

Begin is doing just fine.

I always thought for years the Flames had a shortage of players able to build homes in sand dunes. Good on Begin!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So what's wrong with that?? Might be the reason he is playing with such vigor for the Flames right now. He has truly looked like one of the more motivated players for the Flames this year and even if he is here as a stop gap with the loss of Bouma, so what? He's still giving us good hard minutes which is what this team is need of, especially over the next 6 or so games. He's gonna be a guy Hartley leans on for sparks at key times in the game tonight.
Vigor and motivation do not make up for the lack of talent, size and hockey sense. Was a marginal nhler before his injuries and even more so afterwards. If Feaster really though he was the cats meow why did he sign him to a two way? Feaster did the right thing by getting Jones off the roster, he need to do the same with Begin and Junkman. Fail on Feaster for bringing him back in the first place, especially when a guy like Tim Sestito was available on waivers, played well for NJD in limited minutes last year.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

So your answer to our toughness problem is to bring in a guy who is 5'11 195lbs, who played in 36 games/18 games in the last 2 seasons and has only 16 pims and 2 assists to show for it while being a -10 in that time. There's a reason he's still in Albany, on his two-way contract. I'm taking Begin and his experience in an agitator/energy role over a marginal, fringe player at best who just dressed from 1 playoff game in NJ last year.

Edit: One-way contract.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 02-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.