Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2024, 09:05 AM   #81
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Yeah, this one doesn't look like it will hit the town at least, some risk to the south road but it’s already calming down.
Yeah, to me the real issue is the uncertainty this creates about what to do with basically an entire town. Will there come a point where it’s safe enough to move people back in and rebuild or is this heightened level of activity the new normal? And of course if they ever have to shut down not only the town but the Blue Lagoon (which is huge for tourism, even if Icelanders don’t really go there…) and Svartsengi then the collateral damage really starts to look bad.

And how many Grindvíkingar are currently crashing on their second cousin’s best friend’s spare futon and will need to find permanent alternative housing? Assume there is a plan for that, Thor?
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:56 AM   #82
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had read/heard the government has already put in place a buy back plan (or similar) for homeowners.

The blue lagoon shouldn’t be high on the list of importance. It can get rebuilt somewhere else if it gets covered in lava. The most important would be the power plant as I believe the bulk of the peninsula relies on it.

It’s all very interesting though as to what to do. It’s SimCity come to life.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:32 PM   #83
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

The Blue Lagoon’s only importance, particularly, is to tourism. Icelanders don’t use it all that much (it’s expensive and kind of gross if you know how it was created… and I personally don’t love standing ankle deep in mud when I’m in the pool…), but it’s one of the destinations people specifically travel to Iceland for.

It obviously can’t be a priority right now, but tourism dollars do matter at some point.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:31 PM   #84
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did the lava swallow the extra "r" in the thread title?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 02:14 PM   #85
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
I had read/heard the government has already put in place a buy back plan (or similar) for homeowners.

The blue lagoon shouldn’t be high on the list of importance. It can get rebuilt somewhere else if it gets covered in lava. The most important would be the power plant as I believe the bulk of the peninsula relies on it.

It’s all very interesting though as to what to do. It’s SimCity come to life.
Damned Icelanders would probably just turn that into an attraction.

"Come bathe in our Lava-warmed pools you fools valued guests!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:15 PM   #86
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
There is no 'r' in 'Iceland.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-18-2024, 02:55 PM   #87
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I decided yesterday given the longevity of this thread I should finally fix the spelling in the title. Then I fixed one of the errors but not the other and had to go back and fix the other one today, so it was maybe not a shining example of my attention to detail….
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 03:00 PM   #88
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Damned Icelanders would probably just turn that into an attraction.

"Come bathe in our Lava-warmed pools you fools valued guests!!"
Given how the lagoon formed in the first place, you’re probably not wrong:

Quote:
The lagoon is man-made. The water is a byproduct from the nearby geothermal power plant Svartsengi where superheated water is vented from the ground near a lava flow and used to run turbines that generate electricity. After going through the turbines, the steam and hot water pass through a heat exchanger to provide heat for a municipal water heating system. Then the water is fed into the lagoon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue...eothermal_spa)

I mean, this is literally a pool of effluent from a power plant that someone decided to charge admission for bathing in, because it supposedly has “healing properties.”

And tourists love it…
Old 03-18-2024, 03:14 PM   #89
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That doesn’t sound bad, actually. At least it isn’t untreated sewage or bio waste.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:44 PM   #90
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is, there are bunches of spas in Iceland that are as warm, more interesting and cost way way less. There are some natural pools you just need to hike to and then you have your choice of different temperature natural pools. That’s way more interesting. Hell the cabin we rented in 2020 had a hot tub that was supplied by free super heated ground water. Beer was a lot cheaper too.

The Myvatn baths or the Vök baths were a fraction of the price of the Blue Lagoon and were used by the locals. They felt a lot more authentic as a result.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 03:54 PM   #91
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thing is, there are bunches of spas in Iceland that are as warm, more interesting and cost way way less. There are some natural pools you just need to hike to and then you have your choice of different temperature natural pools. That’s way more interesting. Hell the cabin we rented in 2020 had a hot tub that was supplied by free super heated ground water. Beer was a lot cheaper too.

The Myvatn baths or the Vök baths were a fraction of the price of the Blue Lagoon and were used by the locals. They felt a lot more authentic as a result.

Yeah, for sure, but it’s definitely not on the level of “you won’t believe what’s actually in the blue lagoon!” kind of talk.

Now, if it was heated entirely by pee, I’d be worried.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:08 PM   #92
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:

To be honest, pretty much everyone who owns a giant tub can put it in their backyard and fill it with geothermally heated water straight from their tap and create an instant geothermal hot tub.

Apparently it has to be filled with silica before you get to charge admission though?
Old 03-19-2024, 02:47 AM   #93
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Yeah, to me the real issue is the uncertainty this creates about what to do with basically an entire town. Will there come a point where it’s safe enough to move people back in and rebuild or is this heightened level of activity the new normal? And of course if they ever have to shut down not only the town but the Blue Lagoon (which is huge for tourism, even if Icelanders don’t really go there…) and Svartsengi then the collateral damage really starts to look bad.

And how many Grindvíkingar are currently crashing on their second cousin’s best friend’s spare futon and will need to find permanent alternative housing? Assume there is a plan for that, Thor?
At this point, the government has agreed to a buy-out plan for residents wanting to leave, which is a majority. Many have already found new homes but a lot are still renting or staying with family/friends.

I doubt that Grindavík will be more than a ghost town in the next 5-10 years, as this area is not going to quiet down for a long time. They expect these eruptions to keep popping up for the decades to come, but you never know it could just stop and things might change.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:45 AM   #94
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At this point, the government has agreed to a buy-out plan for residents wanting to leave, which is a majority. Many have already found new homes but a lot are still renting or staying with family/friends.

I doubt that Grindavík will be more than a ghost town in the next 5-10 years, as this area is not going to quiet down for a long time. They expect these eruptions to keep popping up for the decades to come, but you never know it could just stop and things might change.
Hmm...and what if a Canadian decides to take their chances on purchasing in Grindavik....what are house prices like right now?

Perhaps slightly Volcano-adjacent?

Might be tough to insure though.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:40 AM   #95
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I get the sense that this situation is something of a new normal for the region. Just hoping it doesn’t become more widespread as there is a ton of pretty important stuff on the Reykjanes peninsula. (and yes, I know I just said “peninsula peninsula”….). Not just the blue lagoon, but Svartsengi—which is providing hot water for backyard hot tubs for Icelanders all the way to Keflavik.

And for that matter, if it ever gets that far, well…. It’s only another 20K to KEF.

I assume smarter people than me are considering all of that though.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:39 AM   #96
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That doesn’t sound bad, actually. At least it isn’t untreated sewage or bio waste.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:11 PM   #97
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s silica. It wouldn’t be too dissimilar from swimming in any lake rich in glacial silts., like Lake Louise or Moraine Lake, if either of those weren’t cold af.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:10 AM   #98
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

3D map of the area, must see

https://kuula.co/share/56lj7?logo=1&...s=1&alpha=0.60
Old 03-21-2024, 08:21 AM   #99
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

That’s amazing—really gives you a sense of the scope.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM   #100
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's amazing how informative that map is.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote